New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I don't think we would know until the NHL opens up the next expansion process. If Fertitta feels 500-600 million is worth it for a team then there's 3 right there. Quebec would not have to apply and Seattle will apply as I believe the next process revolves around them.

Edit: Agreed that the league may not want to expand too far beyond 32 as they'll want to have a few relos at their disposal.

The errer on the side of caution is Ferittta saying along the lines that it would have to make sense. That doesn't sound like he's a Foley type. Either he would need a partner or may prefer a relocation....could make this a Portland situation with a higher budget.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
By federal law the NHL has to have a opening bidding for expansion.

No it doesn't. Houston will have a chance to bid for a team just like Seattle and quebec. It doesn't make them any much of a slam dunk as any other group bidding.

What Federal Law requires this? I don't recall any formal process when the Sharks came. It was simply the Gunds wanted a team in the Bay Area and made a deal. Same when the NBA created the Bobcats/Hornets 2.0

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What Federal Law requires this? I don't recall any formal process when the Sharks came. It was simply the Gunds wanted a team in the Bay Area and made a deal. Same when the NBA created the Bobcats/Hornets 2.0

Anti-trust laws. They have to have it open to who ever wants to make a bid for expansion. Now if only 1 group turns in an application that's another thing.

NHL can't say we will only allow Seattle or houston to bid for a team or that would open to a lawsuit. What the NBA did with Bobcats/hornets 2.0, wasn't even legal and if there was multiple cities want to bid for that spot could have filed anti-trust against the NBA.

There will be a open process for NHL expansion like they did before and a number of groups (probably 3) will turn in a application. It would be up to the NHL to decide if they want to go ahead and award 1 team 2 teams or 3 teams or they could decide and go with no teams.

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
Based on THIS article, Fertitta is apparently very interested in having a NHL franchise in Houston, and is apparently doing some preliminary work on the matter.

The article suggests that a NHL executive is apparently interested as well!

Read on:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston...ould-be-in-the-works-for-houston-rockets.html

It's insane that the NHL keeps putting effort into franchises that are either in smaller markets, and/or in markets where they have continuously struggled (such as AZ), all the while ignoring the SINGLE LARGEST MARKET IN NORTH AMERICA WITHOUT A NHL FRANCHISE: Houston!!!!

That needs to change ASAP.

Unlike Seattle, we already have a NHL ready arena, and we certainly represent a larger market than either Seattle, Kansas City, or Quebec.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Plus you can't over expand and end up having to deal with at some point relocations with no where to put them.
uh there aren't 3 ownership groups bidding, and it likely is maxed at 32, because look at Vegas, they barely got 1 affiliation completed.

Well there are zero right now, but we'll see in the next year. What the NHL has is three potentially interested groups.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Well there are zero right now, but we'll see in the next year. What the NHL has is three potentially interested groups.

Right cause the NHL hasn't opened up expansion process again. I am saying when they do there would be 3 likely bidders.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Anti-trust laws. They have to have it open to who ever wants to make a bid for expansion. Now if only 1 group turns in an application that's another thing.

NHL can't say we will only allow Seattle or houston to bid for a team or that would open to a lawsuit. What the NBA did with Bobcats/hornets 2.0, wasn't even legal and if there was multiple cities want to bid for that spot could have filed anti-trust against the NBA.

There will be a open process for NHL expansion like they did before and a number of groups (probably 3) will turn in a application. It would be up to the NHL to decide if they want to go ahead and award 1 team 2 teams or 3 teams or they could decide and go with no teams.

I can understand open bid for everyone but the location should be at the discretion of NHL if they chose so. How is that anti-competitive?

MisterMethos

Jun 21, 2014
Everywhere and Nowhere
While nothing has happened, new #Rockets owner @TilmanJFertitta says the NHL is on his radar: "I would love to bring an NHL team here. It's just got to make sense. It'd be hard to fathom that we can't support an NHL team here. Zero has happened, but we will start looking at it" pic.twitter.com/kjkqeprCKY
— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) October 10, 2017

I am unfamiliar with how to link to a tweet but there is a small snippet of video along with the tweet​

Last edited:
Reactions: Melrose Munch

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I think Houston would be a terrific market. The Jets, Oilers, Whalers, and Nords would not be around if not for the aeros trying to get into the NHL. They were unsuccessful a year earlier and decided to fold.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I can understand open bid for everyone but the location should be at the discretion of NHL if they chose so. How is that anti-competitive?

I am saying they can't have a closed bid process and only accept certain group application which would be illegal per anti-trust laws . Ultimate its their call on who gets the expansion spot.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Based on THIS article, Fertitta is apparently very interested in having a NHL franchise in Houston, and is apparently doing some preliminary work on the matter.

The article suggests that a NHL executive is apparently interested as well!

Read on:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston...ould-be-in-the-works-for-houston-rockets.html

It's insane that the NHL keeps putting effort into franchises that are either in smaller markets, and/or in markets where they have continuously struggled (such as AZ), all the while ignoring the SINGLE LARGEST MARKET IN NORTH AMERICA WITHOUT A NHL FRANCHISE: Houston!!!!

That needs to change ASAP.

Unlike Seattle, we already have a NHL ready arena, and we certainly represent a larger market than either Seattle, Kansas City, or Quebec.

The NHL didn't ignore Houston.

Les Alexander ignored the NHL for reasons you can research if you want to.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Story gets the attention north of the border.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-rockets-owner-interested-bringing-nhl-team-houston/

Sportsnet picks it up. If all goes well with the building in Seattle, how soon do they start the next expansion process? This off season reasonable?

If they both apply, they'll have some intriguing decisions to make.

It depends on what happens in regards to Seattle's arena plan proposed by OVG. If Seattle screws it up, i can definitely see NHL opening up the process and selecting Houston.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I can very easily see a staggered expansion where every season, a new team is added. Quebec for 18-19 (Since they are turn-key ready for a team), Houston for 19-20 (since they have an arena ready now), Seattle in 20-21 (Their arena renovation should be done by then).

The NHL would be dead-set at 34 for a long time after that.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I can very easily see a staggered expansion where every season, a new team is added. Quebec for 18-19 (Since they are turn-key ready for a team), Houston for 19-20 (since they have an arena ready now), Seattle in 20-21 (Their arena renovation should be done by then).

The NHL would be dead-set at 34 for a long time after that.

NHL won't go past 32.. it's a very good number for schedules. Plus the NHL in Quebec is not a growth move. They will be hamilton 2.0. the next team Quebec as a province will get will be the expos 2.0

Reactions: Headshot77

MisterMethos

Jun 21, 2014
Everywhere and Nowhere
Honestly, I am not that surprised that he has interest. The new Smart Financial Centre out in Sugar Land (a Suburb of Houston) is no doubt having an effect on the Toyota Center. I have noticed many musicians and other acts who have been regulars at TC when on tour have been booking at SFC instead.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
NHL won't go past 32.. it's a very good number for schedules. Plus the NHL in Quebec is not a growth move. They will be hamilton 2.0. the next team Quebec as a province will get will be the expos 2.0
It's not a growth move, but any time you can add a healthy, financially stable team into the league you should. I believe that a Quebec team could be a perennial top-10 revenue generator. Whether that is "growth" or not is up for debate.

But, I could easily see the Yotes moving to Houston and the Islanders moving to Quebec, and you'd have 32 healthy teams with stable ownership.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's not a growth move, but any time you can add a healthy, financially stable team into the league you should. I believe that a Quebec team could be a perennial top-10 revenue generator. Whether that is "growth" or not is up for debate.

But, I could easily see the Yotes moving to Houston and the Islanders moving to Quebec, and you'd have 32 healthy teams with stable ownership.

the Islanders aren't leaving New York, folks. TV Contract precludes them for doing so as one example

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Not a fan of a 34 team league. I think the league should stay at 32 for a while. 4 divisions of 8 is a nice balance. I do think all 3 of Seattle Houston and QC should have teams though.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Honestly, I am not that surprised that he has interest. The new Smart Financial Centre out in Sugar Land (a Suburb of Houston) is no doubt having an effect on the Toyota Center. I have noticed many musicians and other acts who have been regulars at TC when on tour have been booking at SFC instead.

Well, thats sort of like comparing apples to oranges. The recently opened Smart Center is a state of the art live performance & concert venue, different configurations from 1900 ~ 6400 seats tops, so no, they wont be competing with the TC for "arena sized acts" (of which there really arent that many out there).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Whelp this is a big game changer. There's absolutely no reason not to do this. Houston could realistically get everything together and ready long before Seattle finishes their arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad