New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
They control the two out of 4 arenas (3 of which are currently up and running, Quebec, Kansas, Houston).

But :
a) NHL can prevent a relocation with a vote
b) NHL can prevent a sale with a vote
c) Only Arizona is in real difficulty and it's not clear if the owner (Barroway) wants to sell
d) Calgary is need of an arena but not really for sale

So...in other words do those guys want to OWN or to RENT their arena ?

I think they wanna be owners, at least partially.

The NHL could try & prevent a relocation with a vote, but as we have seen in the NFL, they would lose that in court if it were an existing owner wanting to move.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Please take it for what it is worth. I do have some sources within the Canucks organization and was talking to a few. The topic of the Coyotes came up and here is how it was explained to me. The absolute deadline is April 30, 2019 if there is no arena deal in place. The process will begin to sell and move the team to Houston. The league will begin talks late in 2019 on the US TV Deal and they want all there American Franchises on Solid Ground. The good news for the Coyotes is

1) The building share is not dead with the Suns

2) The deal with the tribe is very much alive

3) Gary Bettman and the BOG Really do not want to move. Hockey in Arizona is growing and the market can really be a good one. ( San Jose level) at least

now back up to point #1 and #2 for those two to work it will need the Coyotes to put some $$ in which they have none. However the Coyotes can very well be the first franchise to get Asian investment money. who will invest in the team and least share the arena cost. so to recap it is not dead or a least there is hope as the Asian money is in play. but there is only 16 months to get this all figured out or the team will move to Houston for the 2019 / 2020 season

so once again you can take all of this with a grain of salt if you wish

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Please take it for what it is worth. I do have some sources within the Canucks organization and was talking to a few. The topic of the Coyotes came up and here is how it was explained to me. The absolute deadline is April 30, 2019 if there is no arena deal in place. The process will begin to sell and move the team to Houston. The league will begin talks late in 2019 on the US TV Deal and they want all there American Franchises on Solid Ground. The good news for the Coyotes is

3) Gary Bettman and the BOG Really do not want to move. Hockey in Arizona is growing and the market can really be a good one. ( San Jose level) at least

now back up to point #1 and #2 for those two to work it will need the Coyotes to put some $$ in which they have none. However the Coyotes can very well be the first franchise to get Asian investment money. who will invest in the team and least share the arena cost. so to recap it is not dead or a least there is hope as the Asian money is in play. but there is only 16 months to get this all figured out or the team will move to Houston for the 2019 / 2020 season

You posted the same thing on the Phoenix mega thread... :shakehead

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

And the coyotes can't stay long term with out a new arena. So the idea that the league won't move them is ridicilous. They will move them if they continue to not get that new arena figured out and done.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Wonder how much money the NHL has lost because of Bettmans desision to stay in Arizona? To me, they can build a new arena. Eventually the same thing will happen after the newness of the rink goes away. They'll be in trouble again.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Wonder how much money the NHL has lost because of Bettmans desision to stay in Arizona? To me, they can build a new arena. Eventually the same thing will happen after the newness of the rink goes away. They'll be in trouble again.

That all depends on the location and the arena management rights (and if the new owner's got deep pockets). As it does almost everywhere.

I think it's going to be a moot point, though. They're down to hoping some random asian investor comes in and saves the day now. So this will probably be over in, let's say, a fortnight.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
You posted the same thing on the Phoenix mega thread... :shakehead

Not the first time someone has tried turning another thread into a Coyotes one, is it???. :nod:

But what was posted is relevant to Houston in that the Coyotes could become portable in a couple of years and it’ll up to the BoG to decide if they want Houston as an expansion location or soft landing spot for an existing team.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
I don't think they'll do it all at once. They'll do Seattle first (2020-21 or 2021-22) and then Houston three or four years later. Then Quebec two years after that.

My votes for names for historical reasons: Seattle Mets/Metropolitans (which I admit is a name that probably won't happen); Quebec Nordiques (which definitely will be the name of the franchise when they get one); Houston Aeros (which is a possible name if the NHL has any heart, but we know they usually don't. There's that antagonism to anything WHA; player records not counted, etc. Still, with two Avco Cups and a successful IHL/AHL franchise called the Aeros, the fans there might just demand the name be kept).

Reactions: BJNT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad