New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Oh please. The steelers, giants, bears etc have huge sway over the NFL. People forget Jerry Jones isn't liked by everyone.

The Bears? When have the Bears swayed the league on anything? As far as the Giants and Steelers go when Wellington Mara and Dan Rooney were still alive that was the case, this current generation doesn't have that sway. I can't stand Jerry Jones, but he is the most powerful owner in the league right now.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Bears? When have the Bears swayed the league on anything? As far as the Giants and Steelers go when Wellington Mara and Dan Rooney were still alive that was the case, this current generation doesn't have that sway. I can't stand Jerry Jones, but he is the most powerful owner in the league right now.

Yeah, at this point the power game in the NFL seems to be a two-man show, with Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft. Anyone have any sense who might have sway beyond that? Kroenke? Pat Bowlen? I feel like Paul Allen would, but doesn't care enough.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
An owner with an arena that probably only needs an ice plant and publicly stating they are willing to own/host an NHL team?

At this point, its the league who has the deciding vote.

Huston has an arena, an owner and the owner said he wants NHL.
Seattle has a project and is waiting for a vote on it.

NHL has 31 teams and one expansion slot open.
Both Seattle and Huston fit the desire to expand in the Western conference.
NHL can decide to give it to Huston.
NHL can decide to wait after Seattle.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yeah, at this point the power game in the NFL seems to be a two-man show, with Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft. Anyone have any sense who might have sway beyond that? Kroenke? Pat Bowlen? I feel like Paul Allen would, but doesn't care enough.

Well Pat has Alzheimers now, But Bears did have influence many years ago as well. Right now it's Kraft and Jones and we see how that is going...

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Doesn't Houston cannibalize Dallas? Especially with Hockey being the number 4 state sport at best?

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Well Pat has Alzheimers now, But Bears did have influence many years ago as well. Right now it's Kraft and Jones and we see how that is going...

Yeah when George Halas was alive, but he died in the early 80s. Name me one thing Virgina McCaskey has had any sway in other than handing out the NFC Championship trophy that has George's name on it.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
How close do you think Dallas and Houston are? It's a 250 mile separation of two major CSAs of over 7,000,000 with basically nothing in between them.
Toronto and Ottawa are 4 hours apart from each other and Ottawa still has issues selling out while being the Number 1 sport in the area. Whats your point?

My question is still kind of the same. Its not a matter of population, its a matter of hockey being the fourth most popular sport at best.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Toronto and Ottawa are 4 hours apart from each other and Ottawa still has issues selling out while being the Number 1 sport in the area. Whats your point?

My question is still kind of the same. Its not a matter of population, its a matter of hockey being the fourth most popular sport at best.

you're trying to create a problem where there is none. The Dallas Stars do not rely on the Houston market and a team in Houston won't rely on Dallas for support.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
you're trying to create a problem where there i?
How close do you think Dallas and Houston are? It's a 250 mile separation of two major CSAs of over 7,000,000 with basically nothing in between them.
are you forgetting the pull that San Antonio has and the pull that Dallas aka the metroplex doesn't draw anywhere outside its own area? Seems to me Dallas doesn't care about HOUSTON, why should the rest of the country care that Houston deserves pro hockey, Atticus?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't believe there is enough top caliber talent coming into the league to support expansions further. That's the problem the NHL needs to fix. How to attract elite atheletes to hockey over other major sports.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
are you forgetting the pull that San Antonio has and the pull that Dallas aka the metroplex doesn't draw anywhere outside its own area? Seems to me Dallas doesn't care about HOUSTON, why should the rest of the country care that Houston deserves pro hockey, Atticus?

A team in Houston will not negatively affect Dallas and vice versa, they are both huge markets. It has nothing to do with deserving pro hockey. Houston is a market that the NHL should be interested in.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
A team in Houston will not negatively affect Dallas and vice versa, they are both huge markets. It has nothing to do with deserving pro hockey. Houston is a market that the NHL should be interested in.

UH, Houston already has.... you seem to keep forgetting not every franchise has to be NHL

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yeah when George Halas was alive, but he died in the early 80s. Name me one thing Virgina McCaskey has had any sway in other than handing out the NFC Championship trophy that has George's name on it.
well that's what I was talking about, when Halas was alive. It's taken many years to get to this point now.

~~~~~~~~

Any updates on houston?

Because Ottawa does not have the same corporate support and the feds can't buy tickets. Houston will have no such issues.
I don't believe there is enough top caliber talent coming into the league to support expansions further. That's the problem the NHL needs to fix. How to attract elite atheletes to hockey over other major sports.
Make the game cheaper.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Well, that.............and a much LARGER market with thousands more TV sets.

Just like Phoenix and Atlanta. Being bigger doesn't always translates into more things.

Anyway, I wonder if the guy in Huston has called Gary and Bill to talk about Calgary Flames who looks like will end up without a home where to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad