New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
Who says they're not?

Most people. Fact is no one cares about the Coyotes situation except for a vocal minority who want them relocated for whatever reason. I mean there's a mega part thread on BOH that's been going on for a freakin' decade now or at least it seems that way, every year is the last year for the Coyotes in Arizona but here they are still.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Most people. Fact is no one cares about the Coyotes situation except for a vocal minority who want them relocated for whatever reason. I mean there's a mega part thread on BOH that's been going on for a freakin' decade now or at least it seems that way, every year is the last year for the Coyotes in Arizona but here they are still.
because of the subsidy and lease. I don't think the will just yet, wanted to know the reason for that question.
This is their season. Right now. If they don't make the playoffs this season they're toast in two years.
I think they are stuck there unless Houston wants them.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Houston will gain major Bettman points in being a useful pawn for Ken King's extortion in Calgary; the league will reward him by granting the Texas metropolis an expansion franchise to start in 2019. Seattle will stay in the mix and possible site for Phoenix if that situation finally reaches a conclusion. Quebec will need to wait out the Carolina kids' angst in trying to turn that flailing franchise to cash. If the price gets anywhere to the $350m mark, and Greedy NHL owners accept $100m relocation fee, then we may finally see some long-term sanity and stability (until Miami goes off the rails-paging the 3rd Atlanta resurrection!)...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I think Gary Bettman's legacy lives with Arizona. He allowed 2 Canadian franchises move in 2 years, for the growth of the game. One has returned successfully. He had to go to court to keep them in his court. The NHL has been arms length in their ownership since legally winning ownership over their fate. The face of the franchise retired. Hockey legends Gretzky and Roenick wanted nothing to do with them. Local politics play an important fate, and nothing tells me that the 2 sides are working together, leading to their divorce.

The NHL is surely interested in Houston. It grows the game more than Phoenix. Could fill an arena. Though i think a good NBA team and bad hockey team leads to serious attendancs problems, as Dallas experienced, which puts pressure on ownership to find a good management team. Should be an ambient hockey environment when the rink is full. Has a hockey history tied in with Gordie Howe, and the WHA. Taxes or lack thereof will entice players.

It would make sense as a relocation market for the Yotes. As would Kansas City.

I know Bettman doesn't want to see franchises relocated because it damages his reputation, as an American ambassador of the game. However I think adding Houston and Seattle, while finding a suitable market for relocation to Quebec (Honestly if you are a hockey fan, a full Colisee of Nordiques faithful would be better for the sport than the red seats of Miami) would make Gary Bettman not only a champion of growth in the game, expanding its horizons, but also somebody who righted his wrongs, paid respect to the Canadian passion that is inextricably linked to hockey.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I think Gary Bettman's legacy lives with Arizona. He allowed 2 Canadian franchises move in 2 years, for the growth of the game.

That's a gross misrepresentation of what happened. Bettman didn't say "We need to grow the game! We're moving Winnipeg to Phoenix and Quebec to Denver!" (And even if he did, the same thing happened with Minnesota and Hartford).

Norm Green couldn't own the Stars in the Met and keep up with the rest of the league revenue-wise. Green didn't want to sell, he wanted to move. The NHL had no choice but to allow it.

Marcel Aubut couldn't own the 'Diques in the old Colisee anymore and keep up with the rest of the league revenue-wise. The NHL looked for local ownership, no one was interested. The Denver group wanted to buy the team, the NHL allowed it.

Barry Shenkarow couldn't own the Jets in the old Winnipeg Arena anymore and keep up with the rest of the league revenue-wise. The NHL looked for local ownership, no one was interested. The duo from Phoenix wanted to buy the team, the NHL allowed it.

Peter Karamanos couldn't own the Whalers in Hartford and keep up with the rest of the league revenue-wise. Karamanos didn't want to sell, he wanted to move. The NHL had no choice but to allow it.

The order of this was Minnesota - Quebec - Winnipeg - Hartford.
The order of those cities building new arenas? Minnesota - Winnipeg - Quebec - (Hartford TBD)
The order of NHL teams RETURNING? Minnesota - Winnipeg - (Quebec soon, Hartford TBD)

As you can see, Canada vs USA has zero effect on the order of departure/return. Market size doesn't either.

"Growing the Game" doesn't factor it at all. That's non-sense.

Teams relocating is 100% about Arena construction and ownership demand.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
That's a gross misrepresentation of what happened. Bettman didn't say "We need to grow the game! We're moving Winnipeg to Phoenix and Quebec to Denver!" (And even if he did, the same thing happened with Minnesota and Hartford).

Norm Green couldn't own the Stars in the Met and keep up with the rest of the league revenue-wise. Green didn't want to sell, he wanted to move. The NHL had no choice but to allow it.

Marcel Aubut couldn't own the 'Diques in the old Colisee anymore and keep up with the rest of the league revenue-wise. The NHL looked for local ownership, no one was interested. The Denver group wanted to buy the team, the NHL allowed it.

Barry Shenkarow couldn't own the Jets in the old Winnipeg Arena anymore and keep up with the rest of the league revenue-wise. The NHL looked for local ownership, no one was interested. The duo from Phoenix wanted to buy the team, the NHL allowed it.

Peter Karamanos couldn't own the Whalers in Hartford and keep up with the rest of the league revenue-wise. Karamanos didn't want to sell, he wanted to move. The NHL had no choice but to allow it.

The order of this was Minnesota - Quebec - Winnipeg - Hartford.
The order of those cities building new arenas? Minnesota - Winnipeg - Quebec - (Hartford TBD)
The order of NHL teams RETURNING? Minnesota - Winnipeg - (Quebec soon, Hartford TBD)

As you can see, Canada vs USA has zero effect on the order of departure/return. Market size doesn't either.

"Growing the Game" doesn't factor it at all. That's non-sense.

Teams relocating is 100% about Arena construction and ownership demand.

Yet the Isles floundered in Nassau, and found a phantom owner who conned his way in. Buffalo was saved. Yes Edmonton, a market of similar size to Winnipeg, played out of Northlands until last year got the lifeline. Ottawa too. Arenas and advertising were a big part of Gary's design to substantially increase revenues, effectively. But I know the history of hockey in Winnipeg and Quebec well. Winnipeg was civically hampered to sustain pro hockey without significant provincial investment. Quebec was sabotaged. Bettman brought in the big bucks with Laurie, Huizenga, Disney. He wanted to bring L.A. out of isolation. They could have survived, with the same subsidy that is applied to Florida today.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
This is their season. Right now. If they don't make the playoffs this season they're toast in two years.
That's being a bit dramatic. Their lease is year-to-year, and Houston just opened up as an available market with a great arena and demographic situation. Any season they have, regardless of on-ice performance, can be their last if their bottom line doesn't get corrected. Of course, the best way to run a profitable NHL franchise is to give the fans a winning product. However, they are in for low attendance, low recognition, and low profits this year regardless. It takes time for fans that have been burned time and time again to come back.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I know that. My question was if you add Huston and Seattle by 20-21...why wait 5-6 years to add Quebec, why be at 33 for 5 years ? Add Huston tomorrow because they are ready, have money, have arena, want NHL (right ? right ?).

Then Quebec patiently waits till Seattle decides to move faster than an old snail pace and when they get their arena done, the league expands by 2 more and both of Quebec and Seattle gets in.

What the canucksfan75 posted was staying at 33 for 5 years and then Quebec joining...make negative sense if you ask me.

Well O6 are proven to be money makers, milking cows of the league...like it or not they have been the backbone since the beginning (not saying other teams aren't helping). People listen when they speak.

I would love to see your empirical data to back up that assertion. Was Chicago a bellwether for the league 10 years ago? There are teams which are revenue drivers for the league & some of them might even be O6 teams, but the way the league, the media & some fans put them on a pedestal is just nauseating. You don't see the NFL doing this with teams that pre-existed before the AFL merger. The only reason there is an "O6 mafia" is because those clubs basically colluded with themselves to keep competition out & would sand bag the rules on a whim.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Houston will gain major Bettman points in being a useful pawn for Ken King's extortion in Calgary; the league will reward him by granting the Texas metropolis an expansion franchise to start in 2019. Seattle will stay in the mix and possible site for Phoenix if that situation finally reaches a conclusion. Quebec will need to wait out the Carolina kids' angst in trying to turn that flailing franchise to cash. If the price gets anywhere to the $350m mark, and Greedy NHL owners accept $100m relocation fee, then we may finally see some long-term sanity and stability (until Miami goes off the rails-paging the 3rd Atlanta resurrection!)...

If the league had to choose between Seattle & Houston for an expansion team, there is no doubt Houston would get the nod hands down...

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the league had to choose between Seattle & Houston for an expansion team, there is no doubt Houston would get the nod hands down...

No offense to Houston but what does Houston provide that Seattle can not in terms of their market. Houston may have a higher TV rank than Seattle but Houston does even com close to provide a lot more to the league than Seattle does.

NHL has been wanting in Seattle for a very very long time.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
:biglaugh:I love coming in here periodically to read where everyone thinks the Coyotes will be in "xxx" years.

It's almost like calculating the answer to the ultimate question.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
No offense to Houston but what does Houston provide that Seattle can not in terms of their market. Houston may have a higher TV rank than Seattle but Houston does even com close to provide a lot more to the league than Seattle does.

Heck Huston despite what people think has Stars to draw from. The league more than once expressed its interest to be in the NORTH-WEST region. Seattle only lacks an arena. If they had one two years ago their team would have been playing their 5th or 6th game of the season tonight.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Heck Huston despite what people think has Stars to draw from. The league more than once expressed its interest to be in the NORTH-WEST region. Seattle only lacks an arena. If they had one two years ago their team would have been playing their 5th or 6th game of the season tonight.

False. Houstonites HATE Dallas.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

More growth and not a long political process.

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

Thats for sure. Check out this story about the people of Houston refusing to buy Cowboys logo coolers during the hurricane:

Amjad Ismail tweeted an image of the shelves of the Walmart Friday morning. They were bare except for coolers branded with the blue star logo of the Dallas Cowboys. "Even in a hurricane no one is taking the Cowboys coolers," Ismail wrote.

http://www.khq.com/story/36224886/houstonians-refuse-to-buy-dallas-cowboys-coolers-during-harvey

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I would love to see your empirical data to back up that assertion. Was Chicago a bellwether for the league 10 years ago? There are teams which are revenue drivers for the league & some of them might even be O6 teams, but the way the league, the media & some fans put them on a pedestal is just nauseating. You don't see the NFL doing this with teams that pre-existed before the AFL merger. The only reason there is an "O6 mafia" is because those clubs basically colluded with themselves to keep competition out & would sand bag the rules on a whim.
Oh please. The steelers, giants, bears etc have huge sway over the NFL. People forget Jerry Jones isn't liked by everyone.

Last edited:

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

Houston is a much larger TV market than Seattle. Plus, it puts another team in Texas. I have nothing against Seattle per se, but a Houston franchise is a far more attractive option for the league.
Oh please. The steelers, giants, bears etc have huge sway over the NFL. Prole forget Jerry Jones isn't liked by everyone.

Individual owners have sway, not the franchises themselves. Dan Rooney had sway, Art Rooney II does not. Jerry Jones may not be liked by everyone, but I guarantee you the league office listens. He's the reason why Goodell's contract isn't currently renewed.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

I'm glad to hear that.
Because you see, since the Nordiques left for Colorado, people have been trying to force feed me that Habs are a Quebec (the province team).
So, thank you. I am so glad you said that you can live in same state/province and not cheer for ONE team.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Houston is a much larger TV market than Seattle. Plus, it puts another team in Texas. I have nothing against Seattle per se, but a Houston franchise is a far more attractive option for the league.

Individual owners have sway, not the franchises themselves. Dan Rooney had sway, Art Rooney II does not. Jerry Jones may not be liked by everyone, but I guarantee you the league office listens. He's the reason why Goodell's contract isn't currently renewed.
Fair enough but I think there is a big market clique in all of the big 4, just some less defined then others. And they should let both Seattle and Houston in. Portland and Quebec too.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Fair enough but I think there is a big market clique in all of the big 4, just some less defined then others. And they should let both Seattle and Houston in. Portland and Quebec too.

Agree there is a clique, but it deals with owners, not franchises. Under your hypothetical example, an eastern team going west isn't going to be determined by logo crest or when they entered the league, but by the pull of the ownership involved.

I agree on letting Seattle, Houston, Portland & Quebec in. All would be solid additions to the league. But it would also take away a bargaining chip the league has with arena development as they are currently the only serious relocation markets left.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Agree there is a clique, but it deals with owners, not franchises. Under your hypothetical example, an eastern team going west isn't going to be determined by logo crest or when they entered the league, but by the pull of the ownership involved.

I agree on letting Seattle, Houston, Portland & Quebec in. All would be solid additions to the league. But it would also take away a bargaining chip the league has with arena development as they are currently the only serious relocation markets left.
That's what Portland is for ;).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->