New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
4 divisions of 8 is WAAAYYYYY too huge. 6 divisions with 5-5-6 splits is a better alternative. Everyone gets so hung up on travel. Well okay... Don't put Arizona in the same division as Alberta Canada! There's a start.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
4 divisions of 8 is WAAAYYYYY too huge. 6 divisions with 5-5-6 splits is a better alternative. Everyone gets so hung up on travel. Well okay... Don't put Arizona in the same division as Alberta Canada! There's a start.
They probably don't want a southeast situation popping up again, but honest;y if they're going to 34 teams Detroit and Toronto can't go back west. 6 divisions of 6-6-5 is something that is agreeable. Also, Pittsburgh and Columbus need to be with the great lake teams as well. That also fixes travel.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
They probably don't want a southeast situation popping up again, but honest;y if they're going to 34 teams Detroit and Toronto can't go back west. 6 divisions of 6-6-5 is something that is agreeable. Also, Pittsburgh and Columbus need to be with the great lake teams as well. That also fixes travel.

Whether or not they expand to Seattle makes a huge difference in the western layout. The East is pretty self explanatory. Detroit can join the "old" Northwest division (6) the "old" Atlantic division (5) can stay as it was and the "old" Southeast (5) can take on the CBJ in place of where Atlanta was-putting the close to DC and Carolina. Sure it's a little far for Tampa and Florida but that's okay because they're close to each other as well as Carolina. Everyone wins by having at least 2 teams very close together.

The west is more difficult to predict. If Seattle is indeed granted expansion then it sets up a bloc of 4 teams which make logical sense: Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. The question comes up of what to do with Winnipeg and while I hate to push them that far away, I don't think the Jets fans will complain about being kept with their historical rivals. Round out the "Pacific" division (6) with: SJ, LA, ARI, ANA, VGK and COL and the Central (5) can remain with NSH, CHI, STL, MIN and DAL.

But if you add Houston to the equation then the situation becomes more precarious. They slot in the central division just as much as MIN and WPG but the fact of the matter is that they are further north than anyone else and Houston is further south than anyone else. No one wants a redux of Dallas in the Pacific division again and I think the only real solution left in a Houston expansion after that point is to reunite the "old" Northwest division with MIN, CGY, EDM, VAN and WPG. It doesn't do any favors for Minnesota but there's not much of a choice here because it's the only way things will balance to a 6-5-5 format.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Whether or not they expand to Seattle makes a huge difference in the western layout. The East is pretty self explanatory. Detroit can join the "old" Northwest division (6) the "old" Atlantic division (5) can stay as it was and the "old" Southeast (5) can take on the CBJ in place of where Atlanta was-putting the close to DC and Carolina. Sure it's a little far for Tampa and Florida but that's okay because they're close to each other as well as Carolina. Everyone wins by having at least 2 teams very close together.

The west is more difficult to predict. If Seattle is indeed granted expansion then it sets up a bloc of 4 teams which make logical sense: Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary. The question comes up of what to do with Winnipeg and while I hate to push them that far away, I don't think the Jets fans will complain about being kept with their historical rivals. Round out the "Pacific" division (6) with: SJ, LA, ARI, ANA, VGK and COL and the Central (5) can remain with NSH, CHI, STL, MIN and DAL.

But if you add Houston to the equation then the situation becomes more precarious. They slot in the central division just as much as MIN and WPG but the fact of the matter is that they are further north than anyone else and Houston is further south than anyone else. No one wants a redux of Dallas in the Pacific division again and I think the only real solution left in a Houston expansion after that point is to reunite the "old" Northwest division with MIN, CGY, EDM, VAN and WPG. It doesn't do any favors for Minnesota but there's not much of a choice here because it's the only way things will balance to a 6-5-5 format.
Yup, you have to keep Seattle with the western canadian teams. I think the issue is once Houston comes in, it becomes harder to move teams around. I think push Colorado into that division with seattle works well and then keep the south pacific/desert teams together. The east I really think Columbus and Pittsburgh should stay together, but washington needs to be with the northeast teams. They need the attendance. A division of det/tor/mtl/ott/buff would be nice. and then boston with the other northeast teams, but the bruins would cry. It's tough. No one is going to be happy here.

Reactions: AlwaysSunnyInTampa

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yup, you have to keep Seattle with the western canadian teams. I think the issue is once Houston comes in, it becomes harder to move teams around. I think push Colorado into that division with seattle works well and then keep the south pacific/desert teams together. The east I really think Columbus and Pittsburgh should stay together, but washington needs to be with the northeast teams. They need the attendance. A division of det/tor/mtl/ott/buff would be nice. and then boston with the other northeast teams, but the bruins would cry. It's tough. No one is going to be happy here.

I'm curious Who do you propose the Canes, Lightning and Panthers play with? Under your format it sounds like the Pens and Jackets join with them?

Reactions: Melrose Munch

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

Pens are not splitting away from the Flyers/Rangers/Islanders/Devils. It's just a non-starter. Columbus needs the Pens, the Pens do not need Columbus. That said, Columbus could easily go with the Great Lakes teams along with the Wings.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Has the NHL said it plans on holding at 32 teams? Because I don't think I've heard anyone say that. Anyway I think the only way Quebec gets a team is by the league adding 2 more teams in the west. Making Quebec #32 would create an east/west imbalance just like we had before Vegas.

For all of Huston, Seattle and Quebec to work NHL needs to expand to 34. Long term (20-30 years from now) it may happen, but I don't see it happening in the next 10 years. Quebec is out.

For both Huston and Seattle to happen, there needs to be 1 West expansion and 1 West relocation. The road is free for the expansion (make it 32 teams) but relocation is less certain.

If you ask me, the most likely scenario is a bidding war between Huston and Seattle (once Seattle gets their arena) for that 32nd spot and the bids start at $500M.

At same amount, Seattle wins because Jeremy Jacobs has a financial interest in Seattle thru his other company (Delaware North).

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

4x8 with Arizona to Houston, new Seattle team, and NYI to Quebec

Northwest: Seattle, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary
Southwest: San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Las Vegas
South Central: Colorado, Houston, Dallas, Nashville
North Central: Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis

Southeast: Florida, Tampa, Bay, Carolina, Washington
Mid-Atlantic: Philadelphia, New Jersey, NYR, Boston? OR Mid-Atlantic: Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, NYR
Great Lakes: Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Buffalo OR Great Lakes: Detroit, Columbus, Buffalo, Toronto
Canadian: Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec, Montreal OR Northeast: Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Boston

Would really help the travel too and create some good local rivalries again. Playing the three teams in your own division 8 times could minimize travel a lot.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Speculating on alignments is largely pointless. Any new alignment will be a compromise that can be agreed upon by 3/4 of the teams. Essentially, right now, any group of eight teams could hold a potential realignment hostage until they got their way.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What makes you so sure there is only 1 spot?

The NHL only went with 1 team during the last expansion when they were orginally aiming for 2 but ended up with only going with just Vegas. I don't see NHL going beyond 32 teams not when there are problem teams.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It'll be interesting to see how much expansion fee cost will be now. Its very well possible that NHL may increases and end chasing away potential bidders.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Houston would be a terrific market. The Jets, Oilers, Whalers, and Nords would not be around if not for the aeros trying to get into the NHL. They were unsuccessful a year earlier and decided to fold.

Not totally accurate TorontoSports. Efforts to achieve a merger between the WHA and NHL was an ongoing process for a few seasons. The Jets, Oilers, Whalers and Nordiques didn't specifically get into the NHL because of the Aeros attempt. The merger plan of 1977 would have included Houston and Cincinnati along with the 4 teams that eventually joined the NHL in 1979. Houston's failed attempt to join the NHL in 1978 on its own led to the owner deciding to fold the Aeros rather than carry on in the WHA. It was the same 5 NHL owners blocking the 1977 merger proposal that continued to block further attempts including the initial vote of 1979. Had 2 of those owners not changed their position and prolonged opposition to a merger, it's quite likely the WHA would not have been able to carry on much longer regardless of what happened to the Aeros. As a result, it's possible that none of the teams would have been around to join the NHL at a later date.

:jets

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
what makes everyone think it's 32 that's the goal. I think it's 36. Houston, Quebec, Seattle will all get teams.

Last edited:

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I don't even think the powers that be in the league really know right now.

If there are no teams to move, open the expansion process and both Seattle and Houston apply willing to pay the going rate......does the league turn/defer one of them?

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012

Although I think the southern expansion/relocations were pushed way too fast in the '90s, I can see why the league would legitimately want to be in a market the size of Houston. If it happens and if they have a heart and soul at all, they'll call them the Aeros. Two WHA titles, the legacy of the Howes - you can't call them anything but.

At the same time, if the league had a heart and soul at all, they already would have put a team back in a hockey hotbed like Quebec, so I'm not holding my breath they'll do the right thing in Houston or anywhere, for that matter.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't even think the powers that be in the league really know right now.

If there are no teams to move, open the expansion process and both Seattle and Houston apply willing to pay the going rate......does the league turn/defer one of them?
Nope. we then go to 33 teams with more in the west. That's the goal. Quebec is number 34. Then two of Portland, KC or whatever.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
How is Houston's economy rebounding after the flood? Is there enough corporate presence is Houston for 4 major league teams plus MLS? I know Houston is energy capital of America but never the less.

And how does Houston compare to Dallas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad