New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
How is Houston's economy rebounding after the flood? Is there enough corporate presence is Houston for 4 major league teams plus MLS? I know Houston is energy capital of America but never the less.

And how does Houston compare to Dallas?

I think it's too soon to tell. The local economy was reeling somewhat even before Harvey with the oil layoffs. But Houston's economy is much more diverse today, so the oil price drop hasn't devastated the city the way a similar scenario did in the 80's.

But the Harvey aftermath may take quite a while. Many residents on the west did not flood when Harvey came through. However, the Corps of Engineers feared the dam to the reservoir could break, so they began voluntary water releases. Essentially they flooded many houses to keep the dam from breaking.

It was the right/only thing to do, but most of the people did not have flood insurance. Legal action is almost certain. They will claim that their houses did not flood from an act of nature but by a deliberate action of the Corps of Engineers.

And most of these homes are upscale, and thus a demographic for sporting events.

I believe the market would support hockey, and there are lots of transplants from hockey cities to help fill the stands. I also think being in Houston would be a great opportunity for the NHL to grow the sport with different ethnic groups, since the population is so diverse.

The support has actually always been good here - WHA, IHL, AHL. Fans do resent that hockey has left for reasons beyond their control, but I believe they would support the NHL.

And yes, the Dallas rivalry would be great. Kudos to the MLB for putting the Astros and Rangers in the same division. LOTS of dislike there!

Reactions: JMCx4

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
One expansion team in The West with a couple relocation's in the next five years....

That's my opinion; and I am unanimous in that......

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'm curious Who do you propose the Canes, Lightning and Panthers play with? Under your format it sounds like the Pens and Jackets join with them?
Oops, lol. Looks like Pens and Cbus it is then. Just to balance everything out.
Pens are not splitting away from the Flyers/Rangers/Islanders/Devils. It's just a non-starter. Columbus needs the Pens, the Pens do not need Columbus. That said, Columbus could easily go with the Great Lakes teams along with the Wings.
They're the weakest link in that group and the farthest away. Plus Pittsburgh was in the Adams for a while. Someone has to take the hit because one of the goals is minimizing travel.
I would have chosen HOU over LV, if it was an option.

Maybe a future spot for ARZ?

For future teams I would go QC, Houston, Seattle in that order.

The only sports league that can support 36 teams is the NFL. That's it.

I see the NHL maxing out at 32.
Technically the NHL has only 24 teams in the US to be fair. I think 3 or 4 more would be fair.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How is Houston's economy rebounding after the flood? Is there enough corporate presence is Houston for 4 major league teams plus MLS? I know Houston is energy capital of America but never the less.

And how does Houston compare to Dallas?

For one its the 4th largest city in the USA, so they definitely have more than enough people.

The corporate presence is huge there, outside New York City, Houston has more Fortune 500 headquarters than any other U.S. city.

Its constantly praised as the best city for jobs and careers.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
What do you want him to say, he will pay anything NHL wants?

All I am saying is the guy will say what everyone wants to hear...which is yes he wants NHL.
No one wants a new Alexander Lee. So his stance being the complete opposite of the old guy is nothing surprising.

But then again, if people think he just has to tweet #NHL #Huston #Coyotes and it's a done deal...its much much much much more than that.
What we know is that the current price tag is $500M. I don't know the guy, I don't know if he has the cash...but what I know is that even if he bought the Canes for $400M from Karmanos, the NHL would add a relocation fee of AT LEAST $100M.

Now, once again, I don't know the guy. But I don't think its as easy as saying 123 to find people ready to spend that.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
All I am saying is the guy will say what everyone wants to hear...which is yes he wants NHL.
No one wants a new Alexander Lee. So his stance being the complete opposite of the old guy is nothing surprising.

But then again, if people think he just has to tweet #NHL #Huston #Coyotes and it's a done deal...its much much much much more than that.
What we know is that the current price tag is $500M. I don't know the guy, I don't know if he has the cash...but what I know is that even if he bought the Canes for $400M from Karmanos, the NHL would add a relocation fee of AT LEAST $100M.

Now, once again, I don't know the guy. But I don't think its as easy as saying 123 to find people ready to spend that.

TRUE, AND HOW MUCH CAPITAL, does Fertitta truly have after spending that to buy the Rockets and the real estate holding aka the Toyota Center lease

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Oops, lol. Looks like Pens and Cbus it is then. Just to balance everything out.

They're the weakest link in that group and the farthest away. Plus Pittsburgh was in the Adams for a while. Someone has to take the hit because one of the goals is minimizing travel.

By what discernible measure? I know you constantly push this narrative, but it isn't happening. The Pens were in the Northeast for awhile which never was a good fit. That's why we went back with the Patrick. If anything, the Devils are the weak sister in this group. Plus, the league is pretty good with 4 divisions of 8 vs. 8 divisions of 4, so it's pretty moot anyway. Detroit will go back to Western Conference before the Pens & Flyers split up....

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
By what discernible measure? I know you constantly push this narrative, but it isn't happening. The Pens were in the Northeast for awhile which never was a good fit. That's why we went back with the Patrick. If anything, the Devils are the weak sister in this group. Plus, the league is pretty good with 4 divisions of 8 vs. 8 divisions of 4, so it's pretty moot anyway. Detroit will go back to Western Conference before the Pens & Flyers split up....

And there is no way in hell Detroit will ever go back to the western conference. And I highly doubt any other team in the east will agree to any realignment that puts them in the west, that is why expansion to a western market is pretty much a done deal.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
And there is no way in hell Detroit will ever go back to the western conference. And I highly doubt any other team in the east will agree to any realignment that puts them in the west, that is why expansion to a western market is pretty much a done deal.
Detroit has more pull and this assumes that Seattle and Houston come.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Detroit has more pull and this assumes that Seattle and Houston come.

Detroit has more pull why? Because of some ridiculous theory that O6 clubs automatically get preferential treatment in all league matters & the other 25 be damned? Mike Illitch is gone & I highly doubt the NHL is going to go against Mario Lemieux & Comcast. Point is no matter what configuration of teams comes via expansion or relocation, the Pens & Flyers aren't splitting up.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Detroit has more pull why? Because of some ridiculous theory that O6 clubs automatically get preferential treatment in all league matters & the other 25 be damned? Mike Illitch is gone & I highly doubt the NHL is going to go against Mario Lemieux & Comcast. Point is no matter what configuration of teams comes via expansion or relocation, the Pens & Flyers aren't splitting up.
Well it's not theory, look at Toronto's move to the east in 99. Didn't make sense at all, especially since there's supposed to be 3 06 teams in each conference, but here we are with 5 in one and 1 in the other.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I do believe the NHL will be 34 team league by the time the Canadian TV Contract expires. in 9 years. Houston First in 2019/ 2020 Seattle in 2021 / 2022 Quebec City 2025/2026

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Expansion will be done by 2019 to avoid splitting the money with the players.

After 2019 you know for damn sure the players are gonna want some sweet sweet expansion money

Reactions: Agalloch

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Expansion will be done by 2019 to avoid splitting the money with the players.

After 2019 you know for damn sure the players are gonna want some sweet sweet expansion money

Yes that's my guess too. In 2018, Seattle will be granted an expansion team and they will begin to play when the arena will be done.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I do believe the NHL will be 34 team league by the time the Canadian TV Contract expires. in 9 years. Houston First in 2019/ 2020 Seattle in 2021 / 2022 Quebec City 2025/2026

Why would the city with a brand new and empty arena, and with an willing owner, already partner of the league...begin the latest ?

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
Chuck Greenberg, that live in texas presently is looking for money to buy the Canes, maybe he just found a partner ? If the canes move to Houston, you now have 16 teams in the west, 15 in the east. That open a slot for quebec.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Chuck Greenberg, that live in texas presently is looking for money to buy the Canes, maybe he just found a partner ? If the canes move to Houston, you now have 16 teams in the west, 15 in the east. That open a slot for quebec.
I think the NHL wants to keep carolina imo, but it's making me nervous that's it's taking so long.
Why would the city with a brand new and empty arena, and with an willing owner, already partner of the league...begin the latest ?
Because Jacobs.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Well it's not theory, look at Toronto's move to the east in 99. Didn't make sense at all, especially since there's supposed to be 3 06 teams in each conference, but here we are with 5 in one and 1 in the other.

why are there supposed to be 3 O6 teams anywhere? What difference does it make? Here's something....an O6 franchise, while being around longer, is no different than any other franchise in the league. MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
why are there supposed to be 3 O6 teams anywhere? What difference does it make? Here's something....an O6 franchise, while being around longer, is no different than any other franchise in the league. The entitlement mentality O6 teams & their fan bases have is nauseating....
Well Detroit does not want to go back to the west, so I think something has to give with Quebec wants in.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Well Detroit does not want to go back to the west, so I think something has to give with Quebec wants in.

I don't see Quebec getting in any other way than as a relocation, so it's a moot point. That said, Pens won't be splitting up from the Patrick alignment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad