New Houston Rockets Owner Open To NHL Team

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
This will surley help the cause.

Once Seattle's arena plan gets closer to fruition, an expansion process will follow and we'll see if he applies.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
If the expansion fee is not out of line a NHL team in Houston should be a
tumblr_nn4op8waCr1sdydefo1_400.gif

Reactions: Panic at the Back

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I wouldn't be shocked in the next several years if Phoenix ends up moving to Seattle/Houston, the other gets an expansion team, and the Islanders end up in Quebec.

Reactions: northeastern

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I think the NHL would be a great success in Houston. As many have pointed out over the years, there is already a natural rival in Dallas (Texas takes their rivalries quite seriously if you've never been, see UT vs. A&M and the traditions surrounding that now defunct game). Houston has seen tremendous growth over the years, the city still has some folks who remember the days of the Aeros.

If the expansion fee is not out of line a NHL team in Houston should be a
tumblr_nn4op8waCr1sdydefo1_400.gif

Ah, poor Chris Dudley. Dude always got dunked on it seemed.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I wouldn't be shocked in the next several years if Phoenix ends up moving to Seattle/Houston, the other gets an expansion team, and the Islanders end up in Quebec.

there's 0% chance the Islanders leave NY, AND Arizona is going nowhere at this point, it hasn't been Phoenix since Glendale and GRA was built

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
there's 0% chance the Islanders leave NY, AND Arizona is going nowhere at this point, it hasn't been Phoenix since Glendale and GRA was built

Islanders' arena situation looks increasingly murky although absolute worst case scenario NVMC is always an option. Don't want to derail this thread too much though.

Regardless, Houston seems like a market primed for an NHL team. Huge market, some hockey history in the past, natural rivalry in state, and West Coast team to balance the conferences (although it does complicate the central).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Islanders' arena situation looks increasingly murky although absolute worst case scenario NVMC is always an option. Don't want to derail this thread too much though.

Regardless, Houston seems like a market primed for an NHL team. Huge market, some hockey history in the past, natural rivalry in state, and West Coast team to balance the conferences (although it does complicate the central).

the problem is, how much damage did Houston take because of the history, and the way it ended, just because Alexander no longer has control, doesn't mean HOU wants a team, as Fertitta states, it has to be prudent, and a right choice, I don't see that happening.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What is not out of line?

Pretty obvious the fee will be starting at $500,000,000 , which is way out of line IMO, but it's what Bettman is asking for.

there was an article i saw on here suggested a fee would be 650m for a team.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
There is only 1 spot though and there would be 3 groups bidding. Quebec Seattle and Houston. Its not a slam dunk though.

Has the NHL said it plans on holding at 32 teams? Because I don't think I've heard anyone say that. Anyway I think the only way Quebec gets a team is by the league adding 2 more teams in the west. Making Quebec #32 would create an east/west imbalance just like we had before Vegas.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Has the NHL said it plans on holding at 32 teams? Because I don't think I've heard anyone say that. Anyway I think the only way Quebec gets a team is by the league adding 2 more teams in the west. Making Quebec #32 would create an east/west imbalance just like we had before Vegas.

By federal law the NHL has to have a opening bidding for expansion.

This immediately shoots Houston to the top of the list imo.

No it doesn't. Houston will have a chance to bid for a team just like Seattle and quebec. It doesn't make them any much of a slam dunk as any other group bidding.

Reactions: powerstuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad