Blue Jays Discussion: Meaningful Baseball Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I doubt Osuna would tear his hamstring running in from the Pen, just as I doubt Benoit got hurt from simple running too. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the Jays are using this narrative to save face from an embarrassing incident.

Sounds more like you are trying to make the story fit YOUR narrative. Nothing but speculation on your part.

EDIT: VID DOESNT WORK SEE LINK AT BOTTOM

Not the greatest clip, but in the wide shot where you can see guys streaming from the Jays bullpen, someone is on the ground right in front of the bullpen (about 0:38 in the video). I'd guess it's Benoit, but it's admittedly tough to tell.

If the vid doesn't work - I am dumb - here is the address: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2FX3q3vmw

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Sounds more like you are trying to make the story fit YOUR narrative. Nothing but speculation on your part.

Not the greatest clip, but in the wide shot where you can see guys streaming from the Jays bullpen, someone is on the ground right in front of the bullpen (about 0:38 in the video). I'd guess it's Benoit, but it's admittedly tough to tell.

I can't view that video, and I'll admit I don't know 100%. I only saw highlights once, and the only time I saw Benoit limping was at the end of the scrum. I assume it was from the scrum because it's a more likely scenario.

Am I trying to make the story fit my narrative? I have no reason to. The Jays might, though. If I'm wrong and Benoit really did hurt himself from simply running, then I am wrong.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I doubt Osuna would tear his hamstring running in from the Pen, just as I doubt Benoit got hurt from simple running too. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the Jays are using this narrative to save face from an embarrassing incident.

There's video of someone falling while the Jays bullpen was clearing out.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I can't view that video, and I'll admit I don't know 100%. I only saw highlights once, and the only time I saw Benoit limping was at the end of the scrum. I assume it was from the scrum because it's a more likely scenario.

Am I trying to make the story for my narrative? I have no reason to. The Jays might, though. If I'm wrong and Benoit really did hurt himself from simply running, then I am wrong.

ya I can't get the video to work - showing my age and tech skill - but Ive added it address to the original post for you to view as well as the time of the video where there is clearly a guy falling down exiting the bullpen. Is it Benoit? I can't say for sure.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If I was Gibby, I'd have said "**** it. Don't play games. We got bigger fish to fry. Yanks are acting like fools because they got nothing to lose. Baltimore and Boston won't do that. So just play ball because you're better men."

If I was Donaldson, I'd have said "I appreciate the support guys, but now's not the time to retaliate. Let's get 'em next year- we can get 'em good."

Why do you think retaliating next year is better? If anything that looks even more stupid.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Nope, and i'd be hard pressed to find a single mlb team that would not react the same way after the mvp of the league gets beaned by a team not in a playoff race, because to me that makes it even worse.

He got hit unintentionally, on his pad......and Sanchez caught the ball.......it happens in baseball. Especially when you are close to the plate like that. You are acting like the Yanks did it on purpose when its clear as day, they didn't.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Because it isn't this year.

So in other words be the Rangers, who waited until the final AB of this year to plunk Jose because of a bat flip in the playoffs last year? That was stupid, and many called the Rangers out for being stupid, then it continued with the aggressive slide and Odor's cheap shot.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
And that's what makes it stupid! If you think there's no reason in bringing it up in that game where Donaldson clearly reached his breaking point, why would you want to resurface that issue next season? If anything that would likely make it worse.

What's even stupider is doing it right now. That's the whole point.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
So in other words be the Rangers, who waited until the final AB of this year to plunk Jose because of a bat flip in the playoffs last year? That was stupid, and many called the Rangers out for being stupid, then it continued with the aggressive slide and Odor's cheap shot.

No one is advocating playing 18 games against the Yankees next year and getting them back at the end of the 19th game.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
That's the key thing to remember here for me. The Nationals just had a bench-clearing the other night too. There's not a team in baseball that would have reacted differently than the Jays did, and for that reason it's hard to criticize them for it. It's like pissing in the wind. Whether one agrees with it or not, this was going to happen regardless. Unfortunately, the unlikely occurred. At least it wasn't Osuna.

The problem is, the Jays are involved in these types of things all the time. Its not everyone else, its the Jays that are causing problems. I have never seen Josh Donaldson act this way in Oakland before. He has changed since he has come to Toronto. Maybe when he won the MVP it enlarged his ego, maybe the media pumping him up has enlarged it, maybe both. He is a hell of a ballplayer but the Jays as a whole sure do like to whine a lot these last few years.

The guy got hit by mistake. Lets brawl. Come on.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
The problem is, the Jays are involved in these types of things all the time. Its not everyone else, its the Jays that are causing problems. I have never seen Josh Donaldson act this way in Oakland before. He has changed since he has come to Toronto. Maybe when he won the MVP it enlarged his ego, maybe the media pumping him up has enlarged it, maybe both. He is a hell of a ballplayer but the Jays as a whole sure do like to whine a lot these last few years.

I'll go one further. Even if other teams "started it", the Jays only have themselves to blame if something goes wrong. Yeah, the Yankees might draw first blood and the Jays might claim a moral victory if they fight for their honour, but at the end of the day, our roster is worse off for it today than it was two days ago. Our opponents in the postseason aren't going to feel sorry for us if we lost a man defending our honour. They aren't going to voluntarily give up some of their players to make things equal.

So you're better off just walking away and picking your battles when it really matters (in this case, when it doesn't matter).

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Can someone please explain to me why is it that Osuna was brought in to pitch in yesterdays game? Up 5-1 non-save situation why bring him in. What happens the next two nights if the games are closer and save opportunities. Are we going to give the ball to Grilli again like against the Yankees.

Makes no sense what Gibbons does sometimes. He could have used Schultz, Tepera, Loup, anyone instead of Osuna.

Please explain.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I'm sure that hurts the Yankees and their 23 world series championships. Youre bragging about being in a wildcard spot to the Yankees?

a) most of those players were not around for ANY of the 23 championships

b) what's better, a wild card birth or not making the playoffs?

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
a) most of those players were not around for ANY of the 23 championships

b) what's better, a wild card birth or not making the playoffs?

Do you know how stupid it sounds to say "check the standings" to a team that has won the most championships in league history and almost all of sports? Act like you have done it before.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What's even stupider is doing it right now. That's the whole point.

And my point is that it's actually more stupid to bring something back up that should have been buried the previous season.

No one is advocating playing 18 games against the Yankees next year and getting them back at the end of the 19th game.

But you're advocating to bring **** back up again after an offseason of reflection? That mentality isn't very healthy.

The whole Ventura/World, Machado/Donaldson, Rangers/Bat flip incidents? All I see is the revolving stupidity of other individuals and how Donaldson (and the Jays) won't take their ****.

I'm sure that hurts the Yankees and their 23 world series championships. Youre bragging about being in a wildcard spot to the Yankees?

We're really going to bring up 22 championships that nobody on the roster had any effect on? Even then, 3 current Yankees won back in 2009, and last I checked, they won't have a chance to win this year.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Can someone please explain to me why is it that Osuna was brought in to pitch in yesterdays game? Up 5-1 non-save situation why bring him in. What happens the next two nights if the games are closer and save opportunities. Are we going to give the ball to Grilli again like against the Yankees.

Makes no sense what Gibbons does sometimes. He could have used Schultz, Tepera, Loup, anyone instead of Osuna.

Please explain.

Orioles can score runs in a hurry, not sure you put in anyone but Osuna in that situation.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
even if any of you think the point of starting something is wrong, its going to continue to happen, teammates will stick up for each other as "unintentional" as something seems or not. Its going to happen.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Yeah, I'm sure Luis Severino and Gary Sanchez are super proud of their contributions to the Yankees' World Series totals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad