Blue Jays Discussion: Meaningful Baseball Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
That's for being hit intentionally. Which didn't happen. Are you guys serious right now?

Protect your players, absolutely. I am 100 percent in agreement with that. Not in this case though.

Doesn't ****ing matter. You hit my MVP, I'm hitting the 1st guy that comes to the plate. End of discussion.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Its not a card, I was just asking.

Yeah, youre right, they do have more knowledge. Which is why the Jays are probably the most disliked team around the league right now by other teams. Its not a co-incidence players are coming out speaking out against your players all the time. This stuff just adds to it. Honestly I'm not trying to cause a ruckus in here, I just want to have a discussion about this topic.

The Yankees don't like the Jays allegedly celebrating a little too much. Oh, and the Rangers didn't like a bat flip at the most pivotal moment of the season last year (while they have a player who loves take out slides and actually socked one of our guys in the face). Meanwhile you have the Royals head-hunting constantly, and Jung-Ho Kang using a fake tag that resulted in an injury to Bryce Harper. Forgive me if I don't buy the agenda you're pushing of the Jays being a menace.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Yes defend him from accidental HBPs. Severino throws 99-100 and is trying to go up and in on JD. You don't think he's worried, especially at this point in the season, about getting hurt by that pitch? You can look no further than last month when he got hit in the cheek by Kelvin Herrera's 87 mph change up as an example of what they're trying to avoid happening to their MVP.

absolutely agreed. Being HBP comes with the territory though. Even if its unintentional. When you crowd the plate, sometimes you get hit when they pitch you in. Sometimes the ball gets away. It happens.

Rizzo gets hit a ton because he crowds the plate, he is on Josh Donaldsons level, I don't see the cubs retaliating when he gets hit unintentionally. It happens to every single teams good players. Retaliating for a nothing play and having key guys get hurt is the dumbest thing you can do. Stand up for your guys, no question, I would do the same thing, if it was warranted, but it wasn't.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
It doesn't take an expert to see that he wasn't hit intentionally. I'm not an expert, and I'm sorry I don't have the same opinion as you on this subject.

How long have you been a baseball fan? I am just curious because generally, you can tell if he was hit on purpose or not.

I've been a baseball fan since I was brought to my first game when I was 8, in 2002. You having a different opinion than me is perfectly fine, however your claiming to have not only factual proof based on your own assumptions, but some sort of greater knowledge as well. Which is where I'm not agreeing.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
The Yankees don't like the Jays allegedly celebrating a little too much. Oh, and the Rangers didn't like a bat flip at the most pivotal moment of the season last year (while they have a player who loves take out slides and actually socked one of our guys in the face). Meanwhile you have the Royals head-hunting constantly, and Jung-Ho Kang using a fake tag that resulted in an injury to Bryce Harper. Forgive me if I don't buy the agenda you're pushing of the Jays being a menace.

Jung Ho had his leg broken from a slide that ended his season, that mirrored what Jose did, which is why he got punched in the face. It wasn't because of the flip, it was the slide. You look at posts in here advocating beaning guys on purpose but when it happens to you, you freak out. I know that is sports but its okay to look at both sides of the story, fan or not.

I'm not defending Ventura, he is a donkey too. I have no problem with teams retaliating for legitimate HBP that were done on purpose. This wasn't one of them. The bottom line is, this hurts your team more than it brings it together. With both the optics from other teams around the league, and the injuries that happened to the guys in the pen.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I've been a baseball fan since I was brought to my first game when I was 8, in 2002. You having a different opinion than me is perfectly fine, however your claiming to have not only factual proof based on your own assumptions, but some sort of greater knowledge as well. Which is where I'm not agreeing.

I never said I had greater knowledge. All I said was its easy to tell, from the situation and watching the play, that it wasn't intentional. It barely grazed his elbow. How is that intentional? It wasn't.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
absolutely agreed. Being HBP comes with the territory though. Even if its unintentional. When you crowd the plate, sometimes you get hit when they pitch you in. Sometimes the ball gets away. It happens.

Rizzo gets hit a ton because he crowds the plate, he is on Josh Donaldsons level, I don't see the cubs retaliating when he gets hit unintentionally. It happens to every single teams good players. Retaliating for a nothing play and having key guys get hurt is the dumbest thing you can do. Stand up for your guys, no question, I would do the same thing, if it was warranted, but it wasn't.

Cubs, Pirates, and Cards have routinely been among the leaders in HBPs. I don't know how much of them are unintentional, but I know in the Pirates/Cards cases they will retaliate.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Jung Ho had his leg broken from a slide that ended his season, that mirrored what Jose did, which is why he got punched in the face.

You know Coghlan slid way out of the base path and made knee-on-knee contact with Kang, right? And that Bautista went straight at the base and kept his legs/feet down?

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
You know Coghlan slid way out of the base path and made knee-on-knee contact with Kang, right? And that Bautista went straight at the base and kept his legs/feet down?

Yeah, I do know that. Legs and feet down don't matter. You can still break someones legs by starting to slide a few feet from the bag at full speed. Knees only bend one way.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Jung Ho had his leg broken from a slide that ended his season, that mirrored what Jose did, which is why he got punched in the face. It wasn't because of the flip, it was the slide. You look at posts in here advocating beaning guys on purpose but when it happens to you, you freak out. I know that is sports but its okay to look at both sides of the story, fan or not.

I'm not defending Ventura, he is a donkey too. I have no problem with teams retaliating for legitimate HBP that were done on purpose. This wasn't one of them. The bottom line is, this hurts your team more than it brings it together. With both the optics from other teams around the league, and the injuries that happened to the guys in the pen.

Jose's spikes were down on that slide, there was little chance of injury. If you think the punch was for the slide, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Furthermore, look at Odor's history and he has done worse slides himself.

Again, you have no way of knowing if this HBP was intentional or not. The players on the field thought it was, and if we're making a call either way based on appeal to authority, their "expert" opinion holds much more water than yours. And every other team in the league would have reacted the same way. So "optics of other teams around the league" is laughable. There were several brawls around the league apart from this one this week alone. Unfortunately, the 1% thing happened and there was an injury.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I never said I had greater knowledge. All I said was its easy to tell, from the situation and watching the play, that it wasn't intentional. It barely grazed his elbow. How is that intentional? It wasn't.

Amazing that an entire 25 man roster would somehow take offense to such a thing that was blatantly obvious to be an unintentional act.

Please, tell me more, Michael Kay.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah if you think it's easy to tell that JD's HBP was unintentional then you should probably find it easy to figure out that the slide wasn't the primary reason for the punch. We all know the animosity was still there (hence why Bautista was even on base to begin with).

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Legs and feet down don't matter.

giphy.gif

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I'm a big fan of the Jays retaliating. If it's intentional, of course, it is warranted. Good teams always have some toughness to them.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't believe they hit him intentionally.

I do believe they intended to throw aggressively up and in to try to back him off the plate and were willing to hit him with the pitch. Once you decide to intentionally throw near someone, there's a very fine line between that and intentionally hitting him.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Jose's spikes were down on that slide, there was little chance of injury. If you think the punch was for the slide, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Furthermore, look at Odor's history and he has done those slides himself.

Again, you have no way of knowing if this HBP was intentional or not. The players on the field thought it was, and if we're making a call either way based on appeal to authority, their "expert" opinion holds much more water than yours. And every other team in the league would have reacted the same way. So "optics of other teams around the league" is laughable. There were several brawls around the league apart from this one this week alone. Unfortunately, the 1% thing happened and there was an injury.

Injuries in brawls are set at 1 percent?

I guarantee if you ask any baseball fan that is a non jays fan whose fault this was, they side with the Yankees here every single time. If he was told to intentionally hit Donaldson he sure made it look like he didn't mean to. It barely grazed him, on his pad. But it was intentional? The evolution of a brawl, when it actually happens, is to defend your team mates regardless of it being right or wrong. You think the royals want to defend Ventura all the time for being an idiot? Probably not, but they do it because that's what team mates do. So it doesn't matter how they all felt about it, they rushed in to protect their guys.

And no, every other team would not have. It was a nothing play. Like I said earlier, I'm all for defending your guys. You have to. But doing so in this situation is no Bueno.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I don't believe they hit him intentionally.

I do believe they intended to throw aggressively up and in to try to back him off the plate and were willing to hit him with the pitch. Once you decide to intentionally throw near someone, there's a very fine line between that and intentionally hitting him.

Yes I agree with that. You are allowed to throw aggressively inside to brush him off the plate. It just so happens he came too far inside, by accident. I honestly cant believe most people think it was on purpose.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Yeah if you think it's easy to tell that JD's HBP was unintentional then you should probably find it easy to figure out that the slide wasn't the primary reason for the punch. We all know the animosity was still there (hence why Bautista was even on base to begin with).

If Jose didn't slide like that he wouldn't have got punched in the face. Pretty simple concept. The animosity was there sure. Reason he got beaned was for the flip. He got punched in the face for the slide.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If Jose didn't slide like that he wouldn't have got punched in the face. Pretty simple concept. The animosity was there sure. Reason he got beaned was for the flip. He got punched in the face for the slide.

He got punched in the face because the Rangers second baseman is a psychopath with a history of violence.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yes I agree with that. You are allowed to throw aggressively inside to brush him off the plate. It just so happens he came too far inside, by accident. I honestly cant believe most people think it was on purpose.

I don't think he came too far inside by accident, though. I think he wanted to make Donaldson move and he just didn't get out of the way quickly enough.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013

So if you are standing in a stationary position and I'm running at you full tilt and slide at your legs with my feet down and legs down, I have zero chance to hurt you? Your legs wouldn't buckle and your knees wouldn't bend the way the good Lord didn't intend for them to go? Good to know.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Its easy to tell when guys are hit intentionally usually, so yes. I guess I do have the inside scoop. You think Girardi told his guy to go hit Donaldson while they are involved in an important game? Doubtful. I understand youre a jays fan but lets call a spade a spade here. Its pretty obvious they didn't do it on purpose.

that is not claiming you know more than everyone else?

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Injuries in brawls are set at 1 percent?

I guarantee if you ask any baseball fan that is a non jays fan whose fault this was, they side with the Yankees here every single time. If he was told to intentionally hit Donaldson he sure made it look like he didn't mean to. It barely grazed him, on his pad. But it was intentional? The evolution of a brawl, when it actually happens, is to defend your team mates regardless of it being right or wrong. You think the royals want to defend Ventura all the time for being an idiot? Probably not, but they do it because that's what team mates do. So it doesn't matter how they all felt about it, they rushed in to protect their guys.

And no, every other team would not have. It was a nothing play. Like I said earlier, I'm all for defending your guys. You have to. But doing so in this situation is no Bueno.

Of course it is, I was clearly citing a scientific fact there...but of the tens of brawls per year, how many injuries have we seen? And major ones like this? I guarantee you the number is pretty close to 1%.

Your second paragraph directly contradicts your first paragraph. Every other team would have done it, because every other team defends their teammates when they think one has intentionally been hit. And the Jays probably did (of course I can't say for certain it was intentional, I'm not foolish enough to think I can make a factual statement for something I wasn't involved in personally), or else why didn't they retaliate or clear the benches when Donaldson was hit the other 7 times this year?

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
He got punched in the face because the Rangers second baseman is a psychopath with a history of violence.

I think you meant Bush hahah. Yeah Odor does stupid things. But the punch was deserved. Jose had it coming for awhile. He is not innocent in what led up to everything that happened. Texas isn't either. If nothing else it will be a fun series to watch if it happens, and that's what baseball is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->