Blue Jays Discussion: Meaningful Baseball Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yes
The Yankees swept us in new York costing us the divison. Now the same team on a 8 game slide and out of the play offs sucked us in and may have taken us out of the wild card race.

If this is enough to take them "out of the Wild Card race" then they were probably going to lose regardless.

Note: if the Jays go 3-3 in these last six games, then Detroit and Seattle have to go 6-0 just to tie them. Despite the loss last night and the injuries, they're in a great, great position right now when it comes to the Wild Card race.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
How often to players get injured in these brawls? Some of you guys are ridiculous and I would never want to play a sport with you. This + complaining about Rychel jumping the Senator last night is making my head spin

Yeah that was almost Clarkson territory. Don't worry bud. You don't need to play sports with me. The best way to get revenge is to smash them on the score board.
I only play for winners. And the eye on the prize is not personal vendettas. That brawl hurts Toronto more then it helps them. Everything else is pretty short sighted.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
How often to players get injured in these brawls? Some of you guys are ridiculous and I would never want to play a sport with you. This + complaining about Rychel jumping the Senator last night is making my head spin
That also was a clean hit. A hockey play. The mugging was called a match penalty for intent to injure. Which is what happened. Sticking up for a teammate was not needed there. And the appropriate penalty was assessed

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Front office should have solidified bullpen better.

Grilli and Benoit were very successful reclamation projects but even with them the pen was too thin as a group for a team with WS aspirations.

We'll need Cecil, Biagini, and Barnes to step up now.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If this is enough to take them "out of the Wild Card race" then they were probably going to lose regardless.

Note: if the Jays go 3-3 in these last six games, then Detroit and Seattle have to go 6-0 just to tie them. Despite the loss last night and the injuries, they're in a great, great position right now when it comes to the Wild Card race.

Yeah there's no excuses. Either they rise to the occasion and get things done, or they're not good enough and don't

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Front office should have solidified bullpen better.

Grilli and Benoit were very successful reclamation projects but even with them the pen was too thin as a group for a team with WS aspirations.

We'll need Cecil, Biagini, and Barnes to step up now.

Since Cecil came back from DL stint (June 30th): 24.1 IP, 26.8% K-BB%, .220 AVG, 3.33 ERA/3.47 FIP/2.43 xFIP

Arbitrary 22nd of July cutoff to show his recent dominance: 18.2 IP, 29.2% K-BB%, .164 AVG, 1.45 ERA/2.66 FIP/2.25 xFIP

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
That also was a clean hit. A hockey play. The mugging was called a match penalty for intent to injure. Which is what happened. Sticking up for a teammate was not needed there. And the appropriate penalty was assessed

Yeah, I'm sure the coaches, Kadri and management feel the same way. Just let your #1c get cold clocked in a pre season game. Just keep letting last years MVP getting hit high and tight. That's how you build character

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
They lost two huge peices in the fray. So.... I don't understand your point. No one got.hurt except in the brawl.... so.. what point are you trying to prove?

so Donaldson didn't almost lose his jaw like Stanton when he got hit in the face? if teams are going to continue to do that then what are we going to do? ask them to stop? thats not going to work.
what point are you trying to prove?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

There's a huge difference between complaining about Rychel actions(most didn't do) and calling Englund a total puke for being a total nobody trying to throw a hit in a preseason game and then not fighting.

I was ok with what Rychel did, he wants to prove he's willing to stand up for his teammates, but I took objection to those calling out Englund, he threw a clean hit which is fine, and isn't obligated to fight after a clean hit, also fine. You were acting as a "nobody" isn't allowed to throw a hit in a hockey game for fear on hurting a actual NHL player. Which is a ridiculous stance to take, you would have been fine with Nielsen throwing a huge hit against say Stone if he were playing. And then didn't want to fight some AHL plug who would proceed to challenge him because he just threw a clean hit.

anyway back to the actual baseball fight. I read on sportsnet that the catcher gave a big stare towards Donaldson as he called for a pitch way inside, don't have the video so not sure if it's true but I don't mind Happ doing what he did. We've been threw at far too much as is, it seems the only way to come out of the good end of it is to take it into your own hands before the warnings are in place.

Benoit got hurt jogging in from the bullpen, he could have just as easily done that any other time jogging. Travis' injury doesn't seem serious, and was mostly from the swing, otherwise he would have been out of the game immediately. Injuries rarely happen in these things so for someone to claim they shouldn't do it because they got hurt in hindsight is just as ridiculous as the things you were calling Englund last night.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I see Boston lost. That slim chance of catching them is still alive! WC picture tightened up though.

Toronto +2.0 GB
Baltimore --
Detroit -1.0 GB
Seattle -1.5 GB (currently losing)
Houton -3.0 GB (currently winning)
Yankees -4.0 GB
Kansas City -5.5 GB (tied in extra inning - eliminated if they lose)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
2 minor leagues with Jays teams have had their BA top 20s ranked:

Appy: #1 V.Guerrero
GCL: #4 B.Bichette

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
2 minor leagues with Jays teams have had their BA top 20s ranked:

Appy: #1 V.Guerrero
GCL: #4 B.Bichette

Really excited about Vladdy Jr. The scouts said the kid had unbelievable power like his dad and the Jays have invested a ton into him. We won't see him for 5 or 6 years but he may be our best hitting prospect since Snider. Hopefully he turns out a little better.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Detroit winning is a bad thing. On the whole they will be a lot harder to beat in a one game playoff than Baltimore.

They can send verlander or fulmer out and it's very likely we are looking at a low scoring game. Detroit has good hitters throughout their lineup.

What you can hope for is that they have to send out of them to win their last game to tie Baltimore, then send out the other to win the one game play in against Baltimore before they face us.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

It's called picking a time and a place. Now is not the time to put on a show. Donaldson knows his team has his back even if they don't retaliate.

Late September is the perfect time to say "**** it. We're better than that. Let's focus on the bigger picture and not be stupid about it and fight some bums who got nothing to lose."

If you're that weak to give into temptation to get into stupid fights at the wrong time, other teams will be more than happy to bait you in the future.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Really excited about Vladdy Jr. The scouts said the kid had unbelievable power like his dad and the Jays have invested a ton into him. We won't see him for 5 or 6 years but he may be our best hitting prospect since Snider. Hopefully he turns out a little better.

If he pans out he isn't close to that far away. Think more like 3 years then 5-6. Something went wrong if it takes him 6 more years to progress through the minors.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's called picking a time and a place. Now is not the time to put on a show. Donaldson knows his team has his back even if they don't retaliate.

Late September is the perfect time to say "**** it. We're better than that. Let's focus on the bigger picture and not be stupid about it and fight some bums who got nothing to lose."

If you're that weak to give into temptation to get into stupid fights at the wrong time, other teams will be more than happy to bait you in the future.

No, teams will continue to throw high and tight to your superstars if you show no backbone, which has gone on all year

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Detroit winning is a bad thing. On the whole they will be a lot harder to beat in a one game playoff than Baltimore.

They can send verlander or fulmer out and it's very likely we are looking at a low scoring game. Detroit has good hitters throughout their lineup.

What you can hope for is that they have to send out of them to win their last game to tie Baltimore, then send out the other to win the one game play in against Baltimore before they face us.

Who do we send out for the Boston series? If lets say we take the Baltimore series 2-1

And who takes the mound for the WC game?

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Who do we send out for the Boston series? If lets say we take the Baltimore series 2-1

And who takes the mound for the WC game?

Liriano and Stroman are starting the rest of the series, right?

The next scheduled would be Estrada, Happ, and Sanchez. Hmm, that's a tough one. Do we give Stroman the WC game? Do we push back Stroman's start to have Estrada to close this series and have Estrada in the WC game? If we win game 1 in Boston, do we put Dickey in and let Happ have the WC game? It's a tough scenario.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
So right now, the only way that Sanchez starts again in the regular season is if game 162 matters. If not, we will hold him back for the Wild Card game.

We are 2 up in the WC standings and things have intensified so we need to concentrate on winning tonight. If somehow New York can pull 2 off against Boston and we take 2 more from Baltimore, that is going to be one hell of a series between TO and Boston.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Liriano and Stroman are starting the rest of the series, right?

The next scheduled would be Estrada, Happ, and Sanchez. Hmm, that's a tough one. Do we give Stroman the WC game? Do we push back Stroman's start to have Estrada to close this series and have Estrada in the WC game? If we win game 1 in Boston, do we put Dickey in and let Happ have the WC game? It's a tough scenario.

If Game 162 doesn't matter, it should be Dickey pitching that game. That way, we have Sanchez for the Wild Card and if we make it through that, we have Stroman, Estrada, Happ for the ALDS.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
No, teams will continue to throw high and tight to your superstars if you show no backbone, which has gone on all year

Teams will still do that if they want to. You think other teams are scared of the Jays just because they act tough with no bite? We did nothing to deter other teams two nights ago.

Yeah, I'll sacrifice Polak getting a fighting major if it takes Crosby off the ice for 5 minutes in game 7 of the finals. Crosby's gotta defend himself and prevent future cheap shots, I suppose, or he isn't a man.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Teams will still do that if they want to. You think other teams are scared of the Jays just because they act tough with no bite? We did nothing to deter other teams two nights ago.

Yeah, I'll sacrifice Polak getting a fighting major if it takes Crosby off the ice for 5 minutes in game 7 of the finals. Crosby's gotta defend himself and prevent future cheap shots, I suppose, or he isn't a man.

Please explain.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Hoping to sweep Baltimore;

1. And Boston gets swept so we have a shot at the division
2. Boston wins at least one, you have no shot at the division and locked up the top wilcard spot;

I would start Estrada on Friday. Then Dickey Saturday and possibly a string of nobody's on Sunday or call someone up. If the division isnt possible and the top WC spot is locked up then Saturday and Sunday mean nothing. That way you could have Happ and Stroman available for the Wild Card game on October 4th.

I think the Jays are going Sanchez regardless for the WC game. But if it is Baltimore and we are at home i would take Happ.

If you win;

October 6th - Sanchez (8 days rest)
October 7th - Estrada (6 days rest)
October 9th - Happ (4 days rest)
October 10th - Stroman (5 days rest)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad