Recalled/Assigned: McCarron recalled from Laval

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Because this team has done enough mistakes, we are not in the business to let a guy go who will end up being great elsewhere. We need every prospect we can get. We need to not drop guys that will succeed elsewhere. There's nothing to play for? Well those guys have their career to play for even if the season means nothing for the vets. Those kids are fighting for the possibility to come back. DLR might win his ticket for that. Does that mean that he will be great next year? Nope...and if he still struggles next year, he will be let go. But until this day, we need to know what they are made up. If McCarron can't do anything right now....well he will be traded or let go this summer. If he suddently gets it, even if the season means nothing, he will have a shot in next year's training camp.

why would they need to let him go though? He would need to be really bad for them to waive him imo, as the roster sucks so they should easily be able to carry him ala DLR this year. I just don't see what playing a few meaningless games means in regards to his future. The only good thing I like is that he was playing much better and now is rewarded for it. But to me good or bad, whatever anyone on this team is doing in these kind of games means little in terms of their future.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
why would they need to let him go though? He would need to be really bad for them to waive him imo, as the roster sucks so they should easily be able to carry him ala DLR this year. I just don't see what playing a few meaningless games means in regards to his future. The only good thing I like is that he was playing much better and now is rewarded for it. But to me good or bad, whatever anyone on this team is doing in these kind of games means little in terms of their future.

As of now, we can carry DLR and all those guys because of not being able to carry a maximum of people. So for McCarron it's either you play him....or you let him in the stands. And if you can't play him 'cause you think that are better options, well it will end up Tinordi style. Surely with a bette return, or I so hope so. But again, it would have been ANOTHER 1st rounder that we either can't use, or get a terrible return for.

As of now, our fails in the 1st round, we had Fischer, Leblanc, Tinordi and Beaulieu. The return for Leblanc was nothing. The return for Tinordi was Bartley and Scott. The return for Beaulieu was a 3rd. Funnily enough, the best return for a fail in the 1st round was Fischer.....not signing him meant getting a 50th overall pick in return. That eventually meant getting Wisniewski. Will McCarron beat that? Remains to be seen.

Yeah, I know it might not mean a lot. Yet, tell me this....if DLR does squat in the games he played in in those meaningless games...do people think of bringing him back? As meaningless games you think they are, people still believe DLR deserves other shots because of them. And I can tell you that if Mac is completley invisible, people won't care about him leaving. While, if we can't get something tangibly good for him, he should get another shot.

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
As of now, we can carry DLR and all those guys because of not being able to carry a maximum of people. So for McCarron it's either you play him....or you let him in the stands. And if you can't play him 'cause you think that are better options, well it will end up Tinordi style. Surely with a bette return, or I so hope so. But again, it would have been ANOTHER 1st rounder that we either can't use, or get a terrible return for.

As of now, our fails in the 1st round, we had Fischer, Leblanc, Tinordi and Beaulieu. The return for Leblanc was nothing. The return for Tinordi was Bartley and Scott. The return for Beaulieu was a 3rd. Funnily enough, the best return for a fail in the 1st round was Fischer.....not signing him meant getting a 50th overall pick in return. That eventually meant getting Wisniewski. Will McCarron beat that? Remains to be seen.

Yeah, I know it might not mean a lot. Yet, tell me this....if DLR does squat in the games he played in in those meaningless games...do people think of bringing him back? As meaningless games you think they are, people still believe DLR deserves other shots because of them. And I can tell you that if Mac is completley invisible, people won't care about him leaving. While, if we can't get something tangibly good for him, he should get another shot.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but EVERY TEAM IN THE LEAGUE HAS FIRST ROUND BUSTS.

For example a good drafting team like Nashville, from 2003 to 2012 (years we can more or less judge), surprise surprise, has 5 1st round busts out of their 8 1st round picks to our 6 of 10. That is 62% of their 1st rounders were busts, to our 60%.

2005 #18 Ryan Parent - Bust, playing in the AHL since 2011
2007 #23 Jonathan Blum - Bust, playing in the KHL
2008 #7 Colin Wilson, bust, traded for a 4th round pick
2008 #18 Chet Pickard, bust, never played a single game in the NHL
2010 #18 Austin Watson, a bust like Nathan Beaulieu, is an NHLer but a bottom sixer/bottom pairing dman type

And here's another news flash: when a 1st round pick busts, they generally don't generate a great return.

And if you look at their 2nd round from 2003 to 2012, they had 3 of their 13 2nd rounders become successes (2 out of 13 if you count 9 goal scorer Colton Sissons as a bust). That's 10 or 11 busts. We had 2 out of 10 successes (including the 2nd rounder we used to move up in the Tinordi trade, otherwise it's 2 of 9), i.e. 7 or 8 busts.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As of now, we can carry DLR and all those guys because of not being able to carry a maximum of people. So for McCarron it's either you play him....or you let him in the stands. And if you can't play him 'cause you think that are better options

We can carry DLR because we suck and we can carry both DLR and McCarron next year since we should likely suck again. People should want DLR back not because of what he's doing in meaningless games now but because there's nothing on the farm to take his place so might as well lose games with DLR/McCarron. So for me these games mean nothing, they show nothing and the only thing that matters is what McCarron does next year. He either shows something or if he's really terrible then trade him, it's not like his trade value is going to be much different now then it will be at the start of next season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We can carry DLR because we suck and we can carry both DLR and McCarron next year since we should likely suck again. People should want DLR back not because of what he's doing in meaningless games now but because there's nothing on the farm to take his place so might as well lose games with DLR/McCarron. So for me these games mean nothing, they show nothing and the only thing that matters is what McCarron does next year. He either shows something or if he's really terrible then trade him, it's not like his trade value is going to be much different now then it will be at the start of next season.

As bad as Bergevin is he can't sell his position on sucking again. Unless he really is working under the table for Molson. The growth of prospects is what he can hinge his position on. Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak, Mete and Juulsen look like NHL players. De La Rose is starting to look like one. Drouin is starting to show more potential, without Pacioretty. He can use the excuse of injuries. It's a thin veil, but the promise is in the youth. A top 4 pick will add more star power.

The Rocket shouldn't be as bad with Froese returning next year, Evans and Bitten joining the team, and Addison finally playing. Audette hopefully takes a step forward. If another defenseman is added in Montreal, Mete will add a level of excitement in his development, for the Rocket fans, while Juulsen basically passed through. Fleury may join the team too. At least there will be prospects.

The fact DeLaRose, Froese, and Logan Shaw all got looks before Mc Carron, says his future isn't certain. Andrew Shaw's injury gives him a chance to be a PP contributor, it's a role he was given for the rocket. I want to see what he can do killing penalties, but I don't expect a lot. I would just as soon see Drouin killing penalties because he is one turnover or bounce away from a breakaway, if he reads plays right, with his wheels. The need for penalty killing forwards will probably keep Mc Carron perpetually behind Deslauriers or De La Rose in lineup. If he can't skate well enough I can't see him having a future as a C. 4th line or not. I think he should be feeling the pressure to show something. Scherbak cited him as a player that helped him integrate into the minors and North America, now Scherbak is making his mark, Mc Carron is still lagging behind.

I hope he makes a good impression in TO. Maybe he matches up against Plekanec.

Reactions: Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
As bad as Bergevin is he can't sell his position on sucking again. Unless he really is working under the table for Molson. The growth of prospects is what he can hinge his position on. Lehkonen, Hudon, Scherbak, Mete and Juulsen look like NHL players. De La Rose is starting to look like one. Drouin is starting to show more potential, without Pacioretty. He can use the excuse of injuries. It's a thin veil, but the promise is in the youth. A top 4 pick will add more star power.

The Rocket shouldn't be as bad with Froese returning next year, Evans and Bitten joining the team, and Addison finally playing. Audette hopefully takes a step forward. If another defenseman is added in Montreal, Mete will add a level of excitement in his development, for the Rocket fans, while Juulsen basically passed through. Fleury may join the team too. At least there will be prospects.

The fact DeLaRose, Froese, and Logan Shaw all got looks before Mc Carron, says his future isn't certain. Andrew Shaw's injury gives him a chance to be a PP contributor, it's a role he was given for the rocket. I want to see what he can do killing penalties, but I don't expect a lot. I would just as soon see Drouin killing penalties because he is one turnover or bounce away from a breakaway, if he reads plays right, with his wheels. The need for penalty killing forwards will probably keep Mc Carron perpetually behind Deslauriers or De La Rose in lineup. If he can't skate well enough I can't see him having a future as a C. 4th line or not. I think he should be feeling the pressure to show something. Scherbak cited him as a player that helped him integrate into the minors and North America, now Scherbak is making his mark, Mc Carron is still lagging behind.

I hope he makes a good impression in TO. Maybe he matches up against Plekanec.

it doesn't matter what MB wants to sell, he sucks at his job so whatever he does likely won't work since it hasn't been working, it's hard to think he's all the sudden going to get it right.

every year we hear about how our AHL team is going to be better, with Lefebvre there I won't hold my breath.

As for Froese, DLR, waivers Shaw all getting looks before McCaron, the Habs did the same thing with Hudon. Thomas, Carr, Getto, yet Hudon was better then all of them in the AHL but they got called up first. I know Lefebvre gives his input on guys that are going to be called up, maybe that's why they often seem to make mistakes there.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Geez Montreal, we could actually improve you know. There's a whole summer filled with days that even Bergevin who loves his fillers could think that this UFA or that small trade would mean not having DLR or MAC. Keeping them is not a must as much as we think we suck. Are we totally staying put? I wanted both guys earlier than now. But now is better than nothing. Yes, for me, there are not a lot of things to gain from doing well in meaningless games. But there's a lot of things to lose in games that you know are there to impress your management. You can't shine now when pressure is off as far as team standings, chances are it will be Tinordi part 2. And like I said, it will be another 1st rounder that will have been badly played.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Geez Montreal, we could actually improve you know. There's a whole summer filled with days that even Bergevin who loves his fillers could think that this UFA or that small trade would mean not having DLR or MAC. Keeping them is not a must as much as we think we suck. Are we totally staying put? I wanted both guys earlier than now. But now is better than nothing. Yes, for me, there are not a lot of things to gain from doing well in meaningless games. But there's a lot of things to lose in games that you know are there to impress your management. You can't shine now when pressure is off as far as team standings, chances are it will be Tinordi part 2. And like I said, it will be another 1st rounder that will have been badly played.

improve like last 0ff-season? I just don't trust this management, weak center depth and blueline. They would need to do a lot to really improve, not just be a little better. I would think CJ was behind the moves at the previous trade deadline when they felt the need to get bigger with guys like King, Ott, Martinsen, you would think he will like having McCarron in the lineup. He just needs to work on his conditioning, balance, getting quicker.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
improve like last 0ff-season? I just don't trust this management, weak center depth and blueline. They would need to do a lot to really improve, not just be a little better. I would think CJ was behind the moves at the previous trade deadline when they felt the need to get bigger with guys like King, Ott, Martinsen, you would think he will like having McCarron in the lineup. He just needs to work on his conditioning, balance, getting quicker.

Balance is something he should have worked 5 years ago. I look at him just in the 1st period, fell twice rather easily. Incredible that this didn't improve yet.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
McCarron fits right in with our usual game plan of not scoring any goals. Perfect fit with the big club! A Therrien favourite... whoops. I mean a Julien favourite!

Reactions: Seb

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The summer we decided to go hurr durr need size and.toughness cause we lost in the playoffs to ottawa.

He will soon join connor crisp.in the bust line

Crisp was a bad pick but wasting a 1st round pick on size and toughness was just questionable. Guys like McCarron can be signed in Free agency or picked up for cheap like Deslauriers.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
We had mccarron as a third rounder before that draft.

I had many arguments with McCagg over it here in the years since... that he had a ceiling of third line and never should have been a first.

McCagg still defends the pick today... which is ridiculous

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
It’s sad to see this player become this way. As a fan I’m cheering for him but I’ve seen so many games over 30 years I can see the end for him. He’s NHL career and hopes is over this season. Another team might give him another chance like Jarrod Tinordi but it’s not the team. It’s the player who doesn’t ha e enough skills

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad