Recalled/Assigned: McCarron recalled from Laval

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
If I recall correctly, he was on Anaheim's draft list and the Canadiens feared he'd be taken then if they didn't take him now. So it was similar to the Tinordi situation but they didn't waste a second rounder.

Meh i wouldnt have worried about it. If i waited and didnt get him i wouldnt have called it a big loss.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The momentum he had in his rookie season is completely gone now. He looks lost in Laval too, trying to play an energy role he never was confortable in to begin with. I don't see him climbing back up from that mountain, not in this organization at least. Too many prospects have already passed him in the depth chart.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Meh i wouldnt have worried about it. If i waited and didnt get him i wouldnt have called it a big loss.

Of course for you. But that year Timmins was determined to get everyone on his list and pretty much did. McCarron, DLR, Fucale, Lehkonen, Crisp, Andrighetto, Reway, even Gregoire was a guy he said he targeted and was on their list to get.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Of course for you. But that year Timmins was determined to get everyone on his list and pretty much did. McCarron, DLR, Fucale, Lehkonen, Crisp, Andrighetto, Reway, even Gregoire was a guy he said he targeted and was on their list to get.
Post draft every scouting director says we got the guys on our list. Or we had this guy ranked way higher.

They never say the day after the draft that they didnt get the guys they wanted.

I take those comments in the post draft interviews with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Fenris

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Post draft every scouting director says we got the guys on our list. Or we had this guy ranked way higher.

They never say the day after the draft that they didnt get the guys they wanted.

I think I believe him on this one. There's no way you take Connor Crisp where they did unless they really believed in him at that spot. I think Fucale was definitely a pick they wanted, and Timmins has said DLR was his first choice. Lehkonen was probably a guy they were thinking for where they got him and if I recall he dropped while guys like Reway and Andrighetto fit Timmins usual mid draft go for skill picks.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I think the chances McCarron and DLR have received so far have been pretty much the same - until DLR actually got a real shot following the trade deadline.

I don't ever think McCarron will be a PPG player...but it difficult to get a read on him when he's always playing with AHL scrubs for 8 mins a game.
Told you mcarron was slooooow
Watch him play in ahl lol awful

I hope we don't pick anymore big Americans. Seems they bust more than succeed. Timmens in love with these big slow American first rounders that most don't pan out

Reactions: Forum93

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I hope we don't pick anymore big Americans. Seems they bust more than succeed. Timmens in love with these big slow American first rounders that most don't pan out
There are plenty of players who are "slow" but also effective players in the NHL.

Furthermore I think speed is not McCarron's main issue...agility, stamina, balance are though. I think he just looks slow because he's so big, but he gets from point A to B pretty good.

You just can't ask him to take many detours on the way to point B or run into any obstacles, that's where it all goes wrong from him and that's what he needs to work on the most IMO.

Either way...we have to be willing to live with young players growing pains.

The same people who continually shout that they want to rebuild, also show very little patience for development.

Reactions: HBDay and montreal

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
There are plenty of players who are "slow" but also effective players in the NHL.

Furthermore I think speed is not McCarron's main issue...agility, stamina, balance are though. I think he just looks slow because he's so big, but he gets from point A to B pretty good.

You just can't ask him to take many detours on the way to point B or run into any obstacles, that's where it all goes wrong from him and that's what he needs to work on the most IMO.

Either way...we have to be willing to live with young players growing pains.

The same people who continually shout that they want to rebuild, also show very little patience for development.

You can't be serious in that you think he's a NHL player right?

EDIT: from HEOTP: hes got over 100 pims in laval and is scoring under .5 ppg. has no points in 9 games up here and doesnt even look like a threat at all. i dont see what people still see in him. he cant play at the nhl level at all, and shouldnt be part of any long term plan

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
None of our prospects is as bad as mccarron was in his d+1 season.

The bust writing was on the wall.

He didnt score on the usntdp u17 team
He didnt score on the u18 team
He didnt score d+1 in lindon

D+2 he scored.the first half of the season playing with max domi most of the team (and when domi went to the wjc he played with mitch marner).

Then he got traded to oshawa and was back under 1ppg.

For a huge guy he couldnt dominate offensively at junior levels. He was never a first rounder

The only prospect we have who was as bad as him in his d+1 season is pezzetta.

Pezzetta's junior career has the numbers closest to mccarron. Thats sad.

I remember a couple of years ago I posted his low numbers when everyone was getting excited about him. The back lash I got... "He's going to be good, he's going to be good, you can't just look at numbers."

Everyone WANTED him to be good because we were such an undersized team for the way the game was played back then. But that didn't mean he was ACTUALLY good. But when people want something bad enough they'll tell themselves anything.

Reactions: the

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You can't be serious in that you think he's a NHL player right?
I don't know where you saw in that post that I said he's an NHL player...you're just looking for confirmation bias.

Is McCarron an NHL player today?

At this stage of his career, I think if the Habs weren't in their current situation, he'd be in the AHL....but that doesn't mean that I don't think he CAN become an NHL player.

But the only way we'll know for sure is if he gets the opportunity to show what he can do in an expanded role.

I certainly don't expect he'd be able to show that in the role he got last night.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Its unfortunate because McCarron seems like a great guy but he is nothing more than AHL depth at this point. Just can't keep up with the speed of the game

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
imo Chris Terry should get a look this year in MTL. He didn't look so good in the past, but the game is different this year. Maybe his style of play will be effective at the NHL level.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Judging a player by where he is born is excrptionally dumb.

Reactions: Tighthead

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I think I believe him on this one. There's no way you take Connor Crisp where they did unless they really believed in him at that spot. I think Fucale was definitely a pick they wanted, and Timmins has said DLR was his first choice. Lehkonen was probably a guy they were thinking for where they got him and if I recall he dropped while guys like Reway and Andrighetto fit Timmins usual mid draft go for skill picks.

He liked the guys he drafted obviously. He wouldnt draft guys he didnt like. That doesnt mean other teams didnt snake him on some picks he might want more.

All we know is that he wanted mccarron more than anyone drafted afterwards. We dont know how he felt about the 24 guys before. Same on dlr etc.

philosophy wise though getting size and toughness with limited skill is the wrong way to go. Thats why i hate the mccarron and crisp picks.

Note i have no issue with.taking a guy with size but he needs talent too.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
imo Chris Terry should get a look this year in MTL. He didn't look so good in the past, but the game is different this year. Maybe his style of play will be effective at the NHL level.

Habs have used callups (post deadline) on lernout, valiev, mccarron.

None of those callups were emergency callups. Only lindgren was an emergency callup

That means we have one non emergency callup left.

Id rather use it on rychel.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I still think McCarron will be an NHLer, next year we'll see how it goes for him, it's not like we are going to be overflowing with better options. Might as well lose with guys like McCarron, DLR, Carr, etc.. then lose with guys like waivers Shaw, Froese, etc... The troubling part is how bad McCarron looked in the AHL and I'm not talking about skills, I'm saying how disinterested and lost he looked. Not comparing them but it reminded me of how Leblanc looked while playing for Lefebvre, at the end there he just looked like he wanted to be anywhere but Hamilton and wasn't playing his game at all. He was night and day to what he started out in the AHL. I saw that same thing from McCarron. It's like he had no clue what he was supposed to be out there.

It may have been a terrible pick, it's certainly looking like one but bigger guys like him are going to take longer. Not saying this will be the case though as I wonder if his development has been ruined totally or not. That said, f*** Lefebvre, f*** MB for hiring him. People talk about his lack of production, and it's bad but look who they have him playing with. They are one of the worst teams in the AHL (3rd worst) so why the f*** didn't they put McCarron with Scherbak and Terry, let him at least try to develop some offense and confidence. Instead he's been mostly with ECHLers all year. Great way to develop a guy.

That said he's got to work on his balance, conditioning, getting quicker if he has any hope of playing in the NHL. I've said not to call him up as he was playing like shit for much of the year although he looked a lot better in the last 2-3 games I saw. That said I also don't feel these games matter in terms of being able to get a read on someone good or bad. So McCarron needs to show something by next camp imo, if not then send to him to Laval as it's unlikely he would get picked except maybe by Burke with the Flames as he always seemed to like his truculence type players.

Reactions: WinterLion

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It's over, french media ripped him apart last night. Once french media gets you you're done for . Only galchenyuk has survived their trash

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Its unfortunate because McCarron seems like a great guy but he is nothing more than AHL depth at this point. Just can't keep up with the speed of the game

Don't remember where or from who but apparently McCarron is a douche.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
It's over, french media ripped him apart last night. Once french media gets you you're done for . Only galchenyuk has survived their trash
Don't you worry...the french media will take credit for Galch's success by claiming they 'toughened him up' and 'showed him the Canadiens way'

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

They'll always say how much they liked the guy they drafted (If they didn't like the guy they wouldn't have drafted him). But that doesn't mean we should ignore other comments. It's pretty evident they had McDonagh very high as they tried to move up to get him so surely when they say they were surprised he was still around at their pick they are telling the truth. I also recall Timmins mentioning they thought Jordan Subban would fall to their next pick even though he didn't.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
They'll always say how much they liked the guy they drafted (If they didn't like the guy they wouldn't have drafted him). But that doesn't mean we should ignore other comments. It's pretty evident they had McDonagh very high as they tried to move up to get him so surely when they say they were surprised he was still around at their pick they are telling the truth. I also recall Timmins mentioning they thought Jordan Subban would fall to their next pick even though he didn't.

Sure.

I didnt.say there was no value in the interviews... but you still have to take what is said with a grain of salt

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's actually pretty funny to me that they traded Chipchura I think in 2009 and proceeded to constantly acquire fourth line centres on the cheap instead of just, you know, keeping him. From 11-12 to 15-16 he was a solid fourth line centre for the Coyotes. But keeping him was kind of a sore spot because he was a first round pick who never amounted to what you would want from a first round pick.

Similar happened with Ryan White. I think there's been a hole in the bottom six of that kind of feisty energy guy to annoy teams at home and it was finally filled this season by Deslauriers.

Yeah I always liked both those guys. Therrien just never let Whitey play his game... he was so crazy when guys took penalties...

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Trying to make the NHL as an enforcer in 2018 :laugh: Great vision by the scouting staff to go for that type of player in the first round, the same year they drafted Crisp in the 3rd...

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad