Recalled/Assigned: McCarron recalled from Laval

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's ok, Timmins once drafted McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban in the same year.

But remember it was Boucher who developed them in the A. The more recent batch has had Sly and they’re just not developing properly.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Not sure if he's deteriorated in ability or the game has changed too much for him but he looks bad right now, he used to be able to at least cycle the puck down low

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Not sure if he's deteriorated in ability or the game has changed too much for him but he looks bad right now, he used to be able to at least cycle the puck down low
When no one teaches them how to adapt to the new game they will not progress. Sly is one of the most incompetent coaches I saw in my life and only reason he has a job is he fornicated In the right family

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I just find that he is late on hits due to his speed and it was not just tonight, it's something I have seen from him since he got here.

Yeah his timing is off for sure. He is speed is not great, that's for sure, but I do think that playing smarter will make him more effective. It looks like he wants to make a hundred big hits a game and it gets him out of position, but really he is best when he is clogging things up and protecting the puck down low. He is quite a bit more effective in Laval. You may well be right that his speed will hold him back, but I still want to see him calm down a bit and just play his game instead of chasing so much.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
kyle chipchura 2.0

Chipchura was a pretty good prospect and played almost 500 NHL games which is no small feat. Him and Poehling are both centres and actually do share some similarities. Chipchura had some awful injury problems and was never as fluid a skater as Poehling even before his injuries. The fact is that if Poehling ends up playing 500 NHL games he will probably end up being one of the better players taken around his spot in the draft. Of course we are all hoping he becomes better and he has shown some indications that he might...

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Mike McBustarron

God what a God-awful pick that was. He was such a long-shot back then but I'm more concerned about the reasons behind this choice. In 2013, the year he was picked, the Bruins had just made the SC finals. They had also won it 2 years prior. I strongly believe this guy was supposed to smash Lucic (in a fight and outskill him) and put Chara into a retirement home. I'm convinced Bargainbin had visions of this while they made the choice. Heck, with all of McCarron's potential intangibles, he probably had trouble containing all that excitement...:sarcasm:

He was supposed to be a Komisarek's revenge of sorts... but the joke has largely been on us.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Mike McBustarron

God what a God-awful pick that was. He was such a long-shot back then but I'm more concerned about the reasons behind this choice. In 2013, the year he was picked, the Bruins had just made the SC finals. They had also won it 2 years prior. I strongly believe this guy was supposed to smash Lucic (in a fight and outskill him) and put Chara into a retirement home. I'm convinced Bargainbin had visions of this while they made the choice. Heck, with all of McCarron's potential intangibles, he probably had trouble containing all that excitement...:sarcasm:

He was supposed to be a Komisarek's revenge of sorts... but the joke has largely been on us.
Remember how people said this guy was going to be a great 2C. It makes me laugh when people talk about our current prospects who aren't even Mc good (in relation to their 1st and 2nd years) and yet we have soooo much depth. LOL sure we do, sure we do.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
I was at the game last night and kept a close eye on McCarron.

He is a bust in every sense of the word. Was mostly head hunting and couldn't even land most of his attempted big hits, which were mainly focused on Dominic Moore (maybe he confused his name for Martin and was looking for a fight?)

He's basically a worse Chad Kilger playing in an era that has passed him by.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Remember how people said this guy was going to be a great 2C. It makes me laugh when people talk about our current prospects who aren't even Mc good (in relation to their 1st and 2nd years) and yet we have soooo much depth. LOL sure we do, sure we do.

None of our prospects is as bad as mccarron was in his d+1 season.

The bust writing was on the wall.

He didnt score on the usntdp u17 team
He didnt score on the u18 team
He didnt score d+1 in lindon

D+2 he scored.the first half of the season playing with max domi most of the team (and when domi went to the wjc he played with mitch marner).

Then he got traded to oshawa and was back under 1ppg.

For a huge guy he couldnt dominate offensively at junior levels. He was never a first rounder

The only prospect we have who was as bad as him in his d+1 season is pezzetta.

Pezzetta's junior career has the numbers closest to mccarron. Thats sad.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Chipchura was a pretty good prospect and played almost 500 NHL games which is no small feat. Him and Poehling are both centres and actually do share some similarities. Chipchura had some awful injury problems and was never as fluid a skater as Poehling even before his injuries. The fact is that if Poehling ends up playing 500 NHL games he will probably end up being one of the better players taken around his spot in the draft. Of course we are all hoping he becomes better and he has shown some indications that he might...

It's actually pretty funny to me that they traded Chipchura I think in 2009 and proceeded to constantly acquire fourth line centres on the cheap instead of just, you know, keeping him. From 11-12 to 15-16 he was a solid fourth line centre for the Coyotes. But keeping him was kind of a sore spot because he was a first round pick who never amounted to what you would want from a first round pick.

Similar happened with Ryan White. I think there's been a hole in the bottom six of that kind of feisty energy guy to annoy teams at home and it was finally filled this season by Deslauriers.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They drafted him because the Sens dummied them in the 2013 playoffs.

Thought he'd be the next lucic which never works out.

Arguably a worse pick than tinordi.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

D+2 he scored.the first half of the season playing with max domi most of the team (and when domi went to the wjc he played with mitch marner).

For a huge guy he couldnt dominate offensively at junior levels. He was never a first rounder

Not what I was told by many on this board.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

LastWordArmy was very vocal on his dislike of the McCarron pick.

It's just... the other guy was gonna be Jacob de La Rose. It's not like Timmins had Theodore and Bergevin said no. Either way that pick was going to a guy without first round pick skill.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I had many arguments about him.on this board.

We had him ranked 60th in his draft year on our annual rankings.

I said i wouldnt take him before round 3, if we have him at 60... i highly doubt no team goes off our board in the first 2 rounds so the earliest i could have seen taking.

The fact is that his d+1 season should have been a huge warning... here are facts.

Of all the players drafted since 1997... in any round... who played in one of the three chl leagues.

And take that group and look who has had at least on 30 goal season... or 60 point nhl season... we find the following

Their d+1 seasons were 1.2 ppg or higher. The exceptions are jeff carter (1.18 ppg) milan lucic (.96 ppg) and james neal (cant remember his number but its over (.9)

If we go to 25 goal or 50 point nhlers.... we see almost all with maybe 3-4 more exceptions are 1.0 ppg in d+1 season.

Now this doesnt mean all junior scorers will become nhl scorers... we know this. But what it does mean is that if you dont score in junior the chances of scoring in the nhl are really low. Its an eliminator.

McCarrons d+1 season.... under 0.6 ppg

When i posted these numbers at the time.. i was told i was full of crap.

The numbers ring true.

Guys who cant score at lower levels just dont become scorers.

Heck they usually dont even become nhlers.

The league is so fast... you need skill to be even a checker.. to make break out passes.. to clear your end.. it takes skill in the nhl. At lower levels that skill makes you a scorer.

With 60 chl teams, numerous colleges, the ushl, europe, etc... you need to be a dominant player in those leagues to be an nhler.

Mccarron was never dominant

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

We did need size back then, given the way the game was played. The game has changed and size is not our issue.

To me it was clear we were going for size in that draft: McCarron, De la Rose, and Crisp.

Happily, size isn't our issues, so we won't be trying to draft for that need. I just hope we don't draft for need going forward. For example, if there's an elite winger available you don't pass on him to try to address our need at left d or center. You've gotta draft for top talent.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I had many arguments about him.on this board.

We had him ranked 60th in his draft year on our annual rankings.

I said i wouldnt take him before round 3, if we have him at 60... i highly doubt no team goes off our board in the first 2 rounds so the earliest i could have seen taking.

If I recall correctly, he was on Anaheim's draft list and the Canadiens feared he'd be taken then if they didn't take him now. So it was similar to the Tinordi situation but they didn't waste a second rounder.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
If I recall correctly, he was on Anaheim's draft list and the Canadiens feared he'd be taken then if they didn't take him now. So it was similar to the Tinordi situation but they didn't waste a second rounder.

Kuznetsov and Theodore.

Yikes.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
We did need size back then, given the way the game was played. The game has changed and size is not our issue.

To me it was clear we were going for size in that draft: McCarron, De la Rose, and Crisp.

Happily, size isn't our issues, so we won't be trying to draft for that need. I just hope we don't draft for need going forward. For example, if there's an elite winger available you don't pass on him to try to address our need at left d or center. You've gotta draft for top talent.

We drafted size without skill though. He was never a scorer.

And crisp was an abysmal pick.

At keast de la Rose you can say maybe he had some skills.to.develop. that development didnt happen and the pick looks.bad now. But i dont mind the philosophy. There was some.scoring happening in swedish junior leagues.

The mccarron pick and the crisp pick were bad philosophy from.the start. They had max 3rd line upside on the day they were picked. If you pick a skill guy and he busts i can live with that. Skill is hard to find and very expensive in trades and free agency.

I can get third and fourth liners cheap in free agency or trades all the time.

I have to overpay for skill.

Draft skill always. Even if it busts

Imagine 2 busts and a pacioretty.

Its better than 3 safe picks.

Pacioretty in a trade is worth more than 3 third liners.

Take skill even if risky at 25th

Reactions: Roke and Habs100

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->