Recalled/Assigned: McCarron recalled from Laval

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Why the heck do we not send guys to play in Laval? Is it to give Lefebvre's reasons for him sticking around?

Froese is a penalty killer, and one of the better ones left. He comes back next year battling for the 4C position.

Logan Shaw baffles me. From the moment they got him. I'd of rather promoted Jeremy Gregoire.

Would like to see Mc Carron play the wing with Hudon at centre and Scherbak on the other wing. Played a full year together in St. John's.

Mc Carron hopefully gets a look in Shaw's role on a 2nd PP. Faceoff guy, and net front presence.

Deslauriers-Froese-Carr have been generally good and get broken up as soon as someone gets injured. Also lack of penalty killers keeps Carr out of the lineup.

For that reason I can't see Mc Carron being a part of the team's long term plans. You're better to stick a good skating player like Lehkonen in front of the net than Mc Carron, if he can also kill penalties. Because Drouin, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Scherbak and Hudon are guys you want 5 on 5, and on the PP.

Unless he has added that element to his game in Laval.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You guys are giving up on McCarron way too soon.
He likely won't become a top 9 forward, but he should be a solid 4th liner

Reactions: Deebs

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

In other words he's likely to be a bust. You don't draft a guy in the 1st round so he can be a 4th liner. 4th liners can be plucked off of waivers or attained for 5th or even 7th round picks, or signed in the UFA market rather easily.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
In other words he's likely to be a bust. You don't draft a guy in the 1st round so he can be a 4th liner. 4th liners can be plucked off of waivers or attained for 5th or even 7th round picks, or signed in the UFA market rather easily.

He was projected to be a bottom 6 player, so he's not exactly a bust.
If he becomes like Brian Boyle then that would be good

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
McCarron has been underwhelming these past few months. But I'm okay with him getting a call-up for two reasons:
1) We need to evaluate him as much as possible in these next few weeks because we have some important decisions to make regarding him before next season
2) We don't need to win

As far as Rychel is concerned... I've seen him play twice so far and I have not been impressed. Sure he has a nose for the net, but he shows very little intensity on the ice. Not a fan. That said, it's a very small sample size and I'm not closing the door on him. I'm glad he's in Laval, he makes the games more interesting, but I'm not convinced the potential is there.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He was projected to be a bottom 6 player, so he's not exactly a bust.
If he becomes like Brian Boyle then that would be good

The game was different even 5 years ago when he was drafted. Now, to be a forward that has an effect on the game you have to be able to skate and handle the puck/make plays with the puck. Can he do either of those things? He's going to have to be able to do both. We'll see.

member 256847

I don‘t know that he can in the current NHL. He can’t keep up with the speed of the game.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Very Happy

tho im thoroughly upset with how he is playing this year, but the talent is weak on the team anyhow..

but i dont want to write him off just yet, lets see him prove himself one last time, he had bigtime chemistry with scherbak and hudon once too, would be cool to see it tried again at the NHL level, why not

McCarron + Hudon = money

DOEg_ifUQAAAOwE.jpg

#ChestBras

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What's Rychel's status? I'm assuming he doesn't need to be protected next year or am I wrong?

he cleared waivers once already this year, likely not quick enough for the NHL i'm guessing. McCarron has looked much better of late so hopefully he can build off that.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Previously I wouldn't have wanted him up, but given we have no one to play centre he should get to play with decent linemates and hopefully get some more ice time.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Reason why the Timmins defense about the Tinordi pick fails everytime? The Michael McCarron pick. Were we still in the old NHL in 2013 too when we decided to pick slow and big?

Reactions: Price is Wright

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Yes, but McCarron simply isn't good enough to be an NHL player imo. His play at Laval this season was very poor.

He may not end up as an NHLer, but when I have seen him in Laval he has been playing a strong 2 way game. He had a few good stretches and at least one bad stretch after he was sent down. I think he will need to be consistent.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

He was picked at 25 and he is 6'6. You absolutely pick those kind of guys with those picks. If he can take key draws and play 12 minutes a night, cause some havok and wear down the other teams D then he can be a very useful guy to have in the bottom 6. If he can tap in some rebounds on the 2nd unit then he is going to be very valuable to us. Of course that might not happen, but THOSE kind of 4th liners are hard to find.

I have no problem with picking this guy at 25 in that draft year. Most of the other players drafted around his spot are also back and fourth trying to make the NHL.

Reactions: Domenic

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Everytime he comes back i think of:

He has been playing a little bit better lately. Now is the tim for him to impress.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Reason why the Timmins defense about the Tinordi pick fails everytime? The Michael McCarron pick. Were we still in the old NHL in 2013 too when we decided to pick slow and big?

There is still room for big guys in the NHL as long as they can keep up mentally. McCarron might not work out for us, but I don't hate the pick at 25. There are plenty of guys picked before him that have done worse... of course Hartman & Theodore might have been better picks but there are also a bunch that are just meh...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad