• Kucherov

Votes: 245 73.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Just like he’d get PK time if he was better defensively?

Mike Babcock has a philosophy on minute distribution. Always has, always will. He’s built two equal PP units and uses them.

This one is pretty simple if you’ve been watching Mike Babcock teams for the past decade. Are you new?

So we need to rely on a hypothetical scenario to move Matthews closer to Kucherov in production? That doesn't make sense. We have no idea how Matthews would do with more icetime nor what Kucherov would do with less icetime.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Matthews is a better player at a premium position.

Kucherov is on an incredible streak, but I’m still taking Matthews without hesitation.

How is he better? Kucherov is easily the better offensive player at this point of the season. I don't mind giving the edge to a center over a winger if their production is similar but Kucherov is easily the better offensive producer.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So we need to rely on a hypothetical scenario to move Matthews closer to Kucherov in production? That doesn't make sense. We have no idea how Matthews would do with more icetime nor what Kucherov would do with less icetime.
You can rely on whatever you’d like. It’s irrelevant to the discussion. I take the complete, elite, franchise centre regardless.

Was it Mackenzie who said last week “NHL GM said there’s only two players to consider in this (97&34) and its a tough call.”

HF is cute, but this one is easy for c

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
You can rely on whatever you’d like. It’s irrelevant to the discussion. I take the complete, elite, franchise centre regardless.

Was it Mackenzie who said last week “NHL GM said there’s only two players to consider in this (97&34) and its a tough call.”

HF is cute, but this one is easy for c
Oh look, if I mention Mackenzie who said something last week then it's clearly Matthews.

It's Kucherov at this time and the stats back it up. He has always been better than Matthews at in the NHL. Matthews may be better some day but today is not that day.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
How is he better? Kucherov is easily the better offensive player at this point of the season. I don't mind giving the edge to a center over a winger if their production is similar but Kucherov is easily the better offensive producer.
We’re 20 games in, Kucherov is on a hot streak and Matthews just missed 10+ days. Stamkos > Nylander, etc etc.

Eliminate the variables, I take the complete, elite centre.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

So how much more would Kucherov have to outscore Matthews by to make up for him being a winger and less complete?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Oh look, if I mention Mackenzie who said something last week then it's clearly Matthews.

It's Kucherov at this time and the stats back it up. He has always been better than Matthews at in the NHL. Matthews may be better some day but today is not that day.
Why are you more qualified than NHL GM?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
We’re 20 games in, Kucherov is on a hot streak and Matthews just missed 10+ days. Stamkos > Nylander, etc etc.

Eliminate the variables, I take the complete, elite centre.

Both players are in uncharted territories. Not sure why you think Matthews is not on a hot streak too.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Just like he’d get PK time if he was better defensively?

Mike Babcock has a philosophy on minute distribution. Always has, always will. He’s built two equal PP units and uses them.

This one is pretty simple if you’ve been watching Mike Babcock teams for the past decade. Are you new?

Me neither. Matthews is a better player at a premium position.

Kucherov is on an incredible streak, but I’m still taking Matthews without hesitation.
118 points in his last 94 regular season games, going back to start of last season. I don't think this qualifies as a streak anymore.

Reactions: The Macho Man

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Both players are in uncharted territories. Not sure why you think Matthews is not on a hot streak too.
Because I’ve seen him when he’s hot?

The California road trip was far from his best hockey. Injured against St Louis on the way home. Played Vegas hurt then missed 10+ days. Montreal and Arizona, again, far from his best hockey.

Are you serious?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Who says I am? But quoting someone who supposedly got his info from one NHL GM? (some, most?) to win an argument and disregarding stats is not really very convincing.
Their core 4 under 24 rankings included input from all 31 GMs. Did you read any of that?

Are you suggesting Bob Mackenzie is lying? He made it up?

:laugh: Good day, sir.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Gotta go with Kuch for now. Although Matthews is doing his thing in a much larger market under a magnifying glass which has been known to break lesser men.

Can Kuch do his thing in a market where everyone's watching him? Where they run 30 minute specials on you? Where they run articles in papers because you happened to break a pane of glass during practice? Where they ask you constantly about any slump you might be on or when things are going well? Where every little thing you do is scrutinized and obsessed over?

Would he break from that pressure?

giphy.webp

I do know one thing though. Our market has broken lesser men. Not everyone can handle that kind of heat. But there are those that can. And Matthews is one of them. And it's because of this fact that regardless of who you think is better between the two...Matthews is going to be the one most revered, most talked about...who will have a statue on legends row and sell more sweaters and have more specials and interviews and documentaries over.

Such is the reward for being man enough to handle the pressure cooker that is Toronto and still succeed.

So the real winner here is Matthews.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Their core 4 under 24 rankings included input from all 31 GMs. Did you read any of that?

Are you suggesting Bob Mackenzie is lying? He made it up?

:laugh: Good day, sir.
Well, these are the same GMs that let Kucherov slide to the 2nd round. Just because they're GMs, it does not make their opinion infallible. Kucherov has clearly been better than Matthews. Look up stats. In fact, he has been better than everyone else in the league since the start of 2016 season.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Well, these are the same GMs that let Kucherov slide to the 2nd round. Just because they're GMs, it does not make their opinion infallible. Kucherov has clearly been better than Matthews. Look up stats. In fact, he has been better than everyone else in the league since the start of 2016 season.
If you measure a player entirely by statistical output, sure..

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

The California road trip was far from his best hockey. Injured against St Louis on the way home. Played Vegas hurt then missed 10+ days. Montreal and Arizona, again, far from his best hockey.

Are you serious?

His play in those 4 games compared to before is night and day, and it's clearly because of the injury and the time off.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Are you serious?

They are both putting up numbers they never have before yet it's only Matthews who is not playing at an unsustainable pace?

Are you serious?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
They are both putting up numbers they never have before yet it's only Matthews who is not playing at an unsustainable pace?

Are you serious?
I spoke nothing of pace, but Matthews hasn’t been playing his best hockey. That stretches beyond his injury, back to the California road trip. I don’t look at the stats, I evaluate their level of play. Stats don’t account for the fact Nylander has been snake bitten, Stamkos is hot, and Namestnikov is much better than Zach Hyman. These are variables beyond the players control, thus, I evaluate the individual and their effect on a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad