Votes: 90 26.9%
  • Kucherov

Votes: 245 73.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lmao. Thats all i have to say. Whenever a player thats obviously better than Matthews and you guys come in with bs like this. Matthews is not a top 10 player. Get over it
Remember when leafs fans said they didnt want Stamkos? Looking hilarious as he would be your best player

Lol...

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Kucherov the modern day Sergei Fedorov... Stevie Y is building the bolts into the late 90s wings

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kucherov has been the best player in the world this season, and was a top 3 player last season. Its him quite easily right now.

Accidentally voted Matthews, but I guess thats a potentially fair vote looking long-term.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Down the road give me Matthews, but right now you take Kucherov 10 times out of 10. That's not a rip on Matthews, 17 goals/33 points in 20 games just can't be argued with.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Its really the PP that is padding Stamkos' and Kucherov's points (its insane what they've done on the PP)... Even strength its really close.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Its really the PP that is padding Stamkos' and Kucherov's points (its insane what they've done on the PP)... Even strength its really close.
What's the conversion rate for PP points to EV points? Like if a team scores 3 PP goals but the other team scores 2 EV goals, does the second team win?

Reactions: flamesforcup

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Kucherov right now for sure. If I could have one or the other, I would probably take Matthews though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Matthews doesn't know how to play the PP? That's a negative to me, guy should get smarter if he can't covert with a man up.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Matthews doesn't know how to play the PP? That's a negative to me, guy should get smarter if he can't covert with a man up.

[1]Nobody is suggesting that...
[2]Yes... Matthews is still learning some aspects of the NHL, he hasn't even played 100 games yet.
[3] The Leafs carry 2 PP units, and the Marner unit has been very successful so far and eating up more minutes. Thats not a fault of Matthews....

I'm not trying to belittle Kucherov's success... He's a stud.

However, most of the game is played at ES. Offensive abilities should be judged at ES IMHO... Too many variables in play on the PP...

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
[1]Nobody is suggesting that...
[2]Yes... Matthews is still learning some aspects of the NHL, he hasn't even played 100 games yet.
[3] The Leafs carry 2 PP units, and the Marner unit has been very successful so far and eating up more minutes. Thats not a fault of Matthews....

I'm not trying to belittle Kucherov's success... He's a stud.

However, most of the game is played at ES. Offensive abilities should be judged at ES IMHO... Too many variables in play on the PP...

That's dumb considering you know, PP's result in goals and the scoreboard as well....

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
That's dumb considering you know, PP's result in goals and the scoreboard as well....

Why is it 'dumb' (Word that shouldn't be used in this context)...? You do know the game isn't exactly 'fair' when one team has 5 players on the ice and the other team has 3 or 4...

I'm not saying PP goals are unimportant (or any less important in the result of a game than ES or SH goals)... I'm saying when evaluating the offensive skill of a player, ES production is a better indicator than PP production. That is all.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Why is it 'dumb' (Word that shouldn't be used in this context)...? You do know the game isn't exactly 'fair' when one team has 5 players on the ice and the other team has 3 or 4...

I'm not saying PP goals are unimportant (or any less important in the result of a game than ES or SH goals)... I'm saying when evaluating the offensive skill of a player, ES production is a better indicator than PP production. That is all.

Value added to your team should be the better indicator of who is better. Kucherov brings more value in the form of offensive production.

But since you brought it up, the year - Kucherov's ES GPG > Matthews' ES GPG, and their ES PPG is the same.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Value added to your team should be the better indicator of who is better. Kucherov brings more value in the form of offensive production.

But since you brought it up, the year - Kucherov's ES GPG > Matthews' ES GPG, and their ES PPG is the same.

If you actually read my original post, I said ES production was close, not identical/superior... but thanks for coming out.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If you actually read my original post, I said ES production was close, not identical/superior... but thanks for coming out.

Sure, still doesn't change your wrong opinion on PP points. If Matthhews was better on the PP, he would get more time.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Sure, still doesn't change your wrong opinion on PP points. If Matthhews was better on the PP, he would get more time.

Why don't you tell me what my opinion on PP points are... You guys clearly aren't listening to the points I made. I'm not saying PP points don't matter...

Reactions: Nizdizzle

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Why don't you tell me what my opinion on PP points are... You guys clearly aren't listening to the points I made. I'm not saying PP points don't matter...

I think your point that someone who is elite at ES is more valuable than a player who is elite on the PP has some merit mainly when talking about the ability to produce in the playoffs when less PPs are called. Kucherov proved in the 15/16 playoffs that he could produce at ES when he lead the playoffs in ES PPG so I don't think the ES vs. PP argument has much merit in this specific comparison.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Just like he’d get PK time if he was better defensively?

Mike Babcock has a philosophy on minute distribution. Always has, always will. He’s built two equal PP units and uses them.

This one is pretty simple if you’ve been watching Mike Babcock teams for the past decade. Are you new?
I think your point that someone who is elite at ES is more valuable than a player who is elite on the PP has some merit mainly when talking about the ability to produce in the playoffs when less PPs are called. Kucherov proved in the 15/16 playoffs that he could produce at ES when he lead the playoffs in ES PPG so I don't think the ES vs. PP argument has much merit in this specific comparison.
Me neither. Matthews is a better player at a premium position.

Kucherov is on an incredible streak, but I’m still taking Matthews without hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad