Matt Hendricks signs 1yr contract with Jets.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He might not sink us, but it is a worrisome sign that he might not know how to deploy a highly skilled roster.
Ok your concern does reflect on Chevy whom you have defended before.
Where are you on that ?
Sounds like Maurice and Chevy both had inputs.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Geeez Whilee
I'm a bit surprised.
Hopefully Maurice isn't that old school?????

You shouldn't be. I've dumped on Maurice regularly in the past for deployment of players. I will never be able to unwatch the Stuart-Harrison debacle.

I noted that Chevy highlighted that he is influenced by Maurice in terms of roster composition, and we needed to also apportion some of he blame for Stuart, Thorbs and Harrison to Maurice. I took a lot of flak, mostly from Chevy bashers. Anyone still have doubts that Maurice might have had an influence on the Hendricks signing? Chevy should have resisted...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ok your concern does reflect on Chevy whom you have defended before.
Where are you on that ?
Sounds like Maurice and Chevy both had inputs.

They are both to blame, but I think there is plenty of evidence that Maurice has pushed to have muscle and grit on the roster. I didn't like it previously, but even less now.

The ray of hope is that Maurice canned Stuart last year, and started the season with Thorbs in the press box. I'm hoping he uses Hendricks sparingly.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
They are both to blame, but I think there is plenty of evidence that Maurice has pushed to have muscle and grit on the roster. I didn't like it previously, but even less now.

The ray of hope is that Maurice canned Stuart last year, and started the season with Thorbs in the press box. I'm hoping he uses Hendricks sparingly.
Totally in agreement

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You know they don't ride buses in Russia right? I mean do I have to say it...

Jagr already has turned down good NHL offers to play in Russia for 3 years. If NHL won't give him the role he wants I fully expect him to sign in Russia by Oct 1.

I am not saying players in the KHL literally ride the buses, it's a euphemism for less than ideal work conditions between the travel, the sketchy towns and officials, unpredictable pay schedule and the overall corruption

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jager is seemingly waiting for the right deal, whatever that means. So it's hard to say whether we are interested and he's turned us down or if we haven't bothered.

He said the right deal includes a chance to win the cup. That might be as good here as anywhere else but he might not see it that way since we haven't done anything yet.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not sure 90% of the people on here or half the people who blog about them truly use them properly.

I'd really like us to try the 3 scoring lines and Lowry 4th line too but it's obvious that's not how Maurice wants to run the team. I get if we had Sullivan's system here we'd be looking better but we don't.

Chevy has filled in all the cracks the way Maurice wants them filled and I think some here will be suprised how well we do. He's just another Slater.

Him vs Petan 4th line isn't going to make much of a difference since Petan doesn't produce with bottom six wingers either. Or play great defense.

Petan isn't the alternative to Hendricks. If that can't be Lowry then it should be Copp. If Copp can't be 4C then he has to be 4LW. That pushes Mattias to 4RW. Which in turn pushes Dano to the PB and the new, improved, fitter, heavier Dano in the PB to make room for Hendricks is ...... pathetic.

Petan is waiver exempt. He will go to the Moose if Hendricks plays. There's just no other place for him.

We dropped 11 places in the draft in order to keep the roster together. 2 skilled young players that we gave up that draft position for are going to rot so that Maurice can have Hendricks. That is if Hendricks plays.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan isn't the alternative to Hendricks. If that can't be Lowry then it should be Copp. If Copp can't be 4C then he has to be 4LW. That pushes Mattias to 4RW. Which in turn pushes Dano to the PB and the new, improved, fitter, heavier Dano in the PB to make room for Hendricks is ...... pathetic.

Petan is waiver exempt. He will go to the Moose if Hendricks plays. There's just no other place for him.

We dropped 11 places in the draft in order to keep the roster together. 2 skilled young players that we gave up that draft position for are going to rot so that Maurice can have Hendricks. That is if Hendricks plays.

I really think that if Dano comes to camp in shape and has a decent pre-season he'll push Matthias into the press-box.

I also think that Petan and Roslovic are going to push very hard for roster spots, but both could end up back with the Moose. My hunch is that Petan kills it in pre-season and forces his way onto the roster.

I still think this will be the preferred line-up against most opponents....

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Copp-Dano

If Roslovic has a great camp (which I don't think is wildly unrealistic), that could really shake things up... For fun...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Perreault-Roslovic-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I really think that if Dano comes to camp in shape and has a decent pre-season he'll push Matthias into the press-box.

I also think that Petan and Roslovic are going to push very hard for roster spots, but both could end up back with the Moose. My hunch is that Petan kills it in pre-season and forces his way onto the roster.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Copp-Dano

If Roslovic has a great camp (which I don't think is wildly unrealistic), that could really shake things up... For fun...

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

I so desperately wish the Jets would give any indication that it was ok to be this positive. I just cannot see how you can look at all the horrendous past roster decisions and think that the Jets would be this smart this year.

Also can't understand what at all puts Armia above Dano. I know the organization feels this way, but Armia does not bring hardly any offense whereas Dano brings near top 6 production. The old your better looking good doing nothing than looking bad doing lots.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I so desperately wish the Jets would give any indication that it was ok to be this positive. I just cannot see how you can look at all the horrendous past roster decisions and think that the Jets would be this smart this year.

Also can't understand what at all puts Armia above Dano. I know the organization feels this way, but Armia does not bring hardly any offense whereas Dano brings near top 6 production. The old your better looking good doing nothing than looking bad doing lots.

Dano could play himself above Armia, but he's starting behind him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Copp-Dano

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano

Roslovic making the Jets may be what saves us from more Hendricks. He pushes Lowry down.

Little isn't going to be on the 3rd line. I don't think that is even remotely possible. Creative though.

I'll be shocked if we get that PCD 4th line too. If Petan is that good in TC then I think he starts at 3C. If he can't push Lowry down then I think waiver status gets him to the Moose. JMO but waiver status matters.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

The only stat that matters when talking about prospects that have yet to establish themselfs is toi. Thats what the people who pay you think they can trust you with. And with dano it's not very much. Dano should just worry himself with beating hendricks for a spot and forget about armia.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The only stat that matters when talking about prospects that have yet to establish themselfs is toi. Thats what the people who pay you think they can trust you with. And with dano it's not very much. Dano should just worry himself with beating hendricks for a spot and forget about armia.

Why do ~80% of your posts appeal to authority?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

#RiotTogether if Hendricks is in the lineup opening night. Giving him a spot on the ice after dropping to 24 in this draft to "keep this group together" is one of the most inexcusable thing this franchise can do. I will be forced to bring the "bag over the head" avatar back from retirement if they do this

Personally, I would prefer the return of the "hands covering face in anguish" avatar. I thought that one was excellent. ;)

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Watching the practices this morning and hearing Maurice's assessment, am I to understand that Hendricks will be used in practises for younger players to improve their skills. Guys like Connor, Roslovic, and Petan (if they can't crack the top 6), they'll need to learn how to play against the opponent's bottom 6 players like Hendricks.

This is interesting. I'll have to watch how this develop this week. I wonder if we see some black eyes, bruises and such.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Personally, I would prefer the return of the "hands covering face in anguish" avatar. I thought that one was excellent. ;)

Go all out. By a bag and wear it on your head when to the first Jets home game that has Hendricks in the line-up. You could carry a bunch of advanced stats sheets to hand out to fans who don't get the concept.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Go all out. By a bag and wear it on your head when to the first Jets home game that has Hendricks in the line-up. You could carry a bunch of advanced stats sheets to hand out to fans who don't get the concept.

But only hand out the sheets to the fans still yelling Stuuuuuu when Kulikov blocks a shot :laugh:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Honestly, if they valued Hendricks so much for his faceoffs and penalty killing, they would have signed him for more than a one-year, $700,000 contract. Hopefully he's here to impart some of his wisdom and experience in the National Hockey League to the younger players, and he moves on next season. He'll be the Littlest Hobo of NHL teams.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
I think we'd all do well to accept the fact that Hendricks will be on the roster opening night. Listening to the interviews from TC it is clear that Hendricks has already endeared himself to many teammates and Maurice already has the hugest man crush.

Things could change as the season goes on but I think he starts with the team, and not likely in the PB either.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I think we'd all do well to accept the fact that Hendricks will be on the roster opening night. Listening to the interviews from TC it is clear that Hendricks has already endeared himself to many teammates and Maurice already has the hugest man crush.

Things could change as the season goes on but I think he starts with the team, and not likely in the PB either.

Do you mean roster or starting lineup? Because I think almost everyone here expects him to be on the roster. The concern is that he'll take a starting spot away from someone like Petan or Dano.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Do you mean roster or starting lineup? Because I think almost everyone here expects him to be on the roster. The concern is that he'll take a starting spot away from someone like Petan or Dano.

My impression has been that there is still a sizeable group that thinks he's bound for the Moose.. but yeah, I think he'll be in the lineup opening night. Hope not, but it seems to be shaping up that way

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
What the heck was a player on IR doing going fishing?:D As he is not a member of the active 23 man roster I do not believe that he would fall under the mandatory 4 days off per month rule granted under the CBA.

He clearly should have been rehabbing to get in the lineup as quickly as possible.:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad