Matt Hendricks signs 1yr contract with Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
8.35 min = 8 min 21s, and the numbers were shots on goal.

my point: you can't really say that we "have run" DPA when they spent less than 10 minutes on the ice together, and the only "terrible" thing that could happen in such a short time would be a goal against or a penalty against, neither of which happened. Maybe we should try actually playing DPA together in an NHL game, not just in morning skates.
I think a line with Petan and Armia (along with Copp or Dano) would be an excellent idea, and I don't know why it hasn't been tried more.

Maurice's deployment of personnel continues to puzzle and frustrate me.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
waaaaaait a second armia on 4th line? isn't armia the only guy on the bottom six to record a goal this year? I think Maurice is trolling us

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Hendricks a face off wizard? Have you looked at his face off numbers the last couple seasons, did he even win a face off in the preseason?

Not completely knocking Hendricks at getting a chance to play a couple games because our bottom six has done squat this season but it’s pretty sad a 36 year old wash up is the competition for a spot there!

Only reason Hendricks was signed and is here is because he is the Buff whisperer!

I propose that his nickname be changed from Hendy to the wizzard.

This guys skates have been pumped so big by Maurice and the local media its beyond silly.

If the Jets are relying on a 36 yr old to bring energy to the lineup this team has some deep issues.

Should be fun to watch bis debut. I assume TSN will have a wizzard cam on him for the entire game. Gordie Howe hat trick incoming.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
The amount of fretting that goes on around a player who has yet to play a single minute for this team is truly amazing.

Yeah, it’s only outdone by the amount of BS spouted about the guy’s potential massive “glue guy/leadership” contribution. Can’t help but notice nobody describing what a fantastic dude Hendricks is ever has anything to say about his on-ice contribution...which is really far far far more important than how well he tells a joke in the room.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
The amount of fretting that goes on around a player who has yet to play a single minute for this team is truly amazing.

I agree that's it's a bit much considering how poor the rest of the bottom 6 have been so far but we did get to see a bit in pre season. Imo he was the worst Jet the few times we did see him.

Can't complain that he is playing but I am expecting less from him than any other player on the Jets.

Reactions: Evil Little

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah, it’s only outdone by the amount of BS spouted about the guy’s potential massive “glue guy/leadership” contribution. Can’t help but notice nobody describing what a fantastic dude Hendricks is ever has anything to say about his on-ice contribution...which is really far far far more important than how well he tells a joke in the room.

To each his own....but I do wish people would stop bringing up the whole glue just like Thor stuff.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Is Hendricks partly responsible for improved jets this year? Is his locker room presence that big a deal?

I think he may be 10% responsible along with 70% goaltending and improved defensive play for 20%.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Is Hendricks partly responsible for improved jets this year? Is his locker room presence that big a deal?

I think he may be 10% responsible along with 70% goaltending and improved defensive play for 20%.

I'm not sure.
He brings so little on the ice.
Can't we just pay him to hang around the locker room and skate at practices with the guys.
It seems like his biggest contributions are not made on the ice.

Mo love will keep him in the lineup over other players who deserve to play ahead of him. Perhaps his old frame will break down. Injuries may be the only way to get him out of the starting line up?

He's taking away playing time for guys who may be here for years to come.
He made one nice play tonight early in the game and then was essentially a non factor the rest of the game (unless you count a big hit way behind the play)

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island

That's exceedingly generous. Goaltending is definitely the major contributor to our overall record (though I wonder how much better we're actually playing). But you're forgetting about all our young players maturing (that's probably 20% of our improvement, I don't see a massive improvement in defensive play), and the big addition by subtraction by getting rid of Thorburn and Stuart. Adding Kulikov, and Poolman's rise also means Chariot gets bumped down the chart. The schedule is vastly better this year, and injuries are way less. I'm sure I'm even missing more factors that have greater impact than locker room presence.

A guy like Schiefele will have a greater effect on the locker room than any 4th liner because in addition to his "intangibles" & great personality he actually has tangible positives. If you want someone that's funny in the locker room, I'd rather add someone like Ovechkin than Thorburn... if you want someone with leadership presence Wheeler will impact the team far more than Stuart.

Maybe 1% of the Jets' improvement is due to any sort of morale boost across the board.

Maurice said that "Hendricks says all the right things on the bench" - great, he can be an assistant coach or the stick boy and have greater impact (since we'll have a better player on the ice).

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Hendricks was a warrior last night. Gets cut by a skate in the face. Goes to the dressing room and has the cut glued shut then gets right back to play on the PK and then scores on the next shift. The team just feeds off a guy like him which is why I suspect Chevy brought him in. The fact that he produces points once in a while is just a bonus.

Last edited:

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
What I find interesting is when Hendricks signed here I recall one of the reasons he stated was he thought the Jets were better than the Oilers. I'm sure alot of that was just him saying the right things, but maybe he actually knew something we don't? It seems like the Oilers are falling apart, injuries are not helping them either.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Alright i'm saying it.

Dude has been good on ice. He's had a lot of help in terms of quality of linemates but at 5vs5 he makes up for a lack of speed with excellent positioning. I don't know how long it will last but i'm enjoying the ride.

If he has anywhere near the off ice and on the bench contributions that we keep hearing about i'm glad he is here.

Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->