Matt Hendricks signs 1yr contract with Jets.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What the heck was a player on IR doing going fishing?:D As he is not a member of the active 23 man roster I do not believe that he would fall under the mandatory 4 days off per month rule granted under the CBA.

He clearly should have been rehabbing to get in the lineup as quickly as possible.:rolleyes:
He's not on IR, he's still on the roster.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Edit above: Unless you mean Hendricks - he's on the IR.

PS: Can't seem to edit a message if you've got the WYSWYG editor turned off in preferences...

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Russo wrote about Hendricks while the Wild were in town. Says he has a broken foot.

Coaches sure seem to love this guy. I was not enamoured with this signing to say the least. But I'll be honest. Prior to the preseason while I had seen the guy play in games over the years, he was never a player that commanded a lot of focus. I still don't have a sense for how he really plays the game.

https://theathletic.com/133468/2017...s-granlund-foligno-niederreiter-wild-updates/

WINNIPEG — If he couldn’t play for the Wild – and Wild coach Bruce Boudreau really, reallywanted him,

[snip]

Hendricks didn’t sign with the Jets until late in the summer, and after having him in Washington, Boudreau said, ‘Nobody’s better in the room or in tough situations than Hendy. You could tell that guy, ‘We need more blocked shots,’ and he’d go out that night and throw his face in front of every shot.”

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Has a 36.5 year old washed up 4th line centre got this much attention in the NHL ever?

Probably not....leave it up to jets fans to overreact to a depth signing.

I’m pretty sure Brian strait was talked about more in the first week of that signing last year than the rest of his career combined.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I’m pretty sure Brian strait was talked about more in the first week of that signing last year than the rest of his career combined.

If you think Maurice felt the same way about Strait as he does about Hendricks, you haven't been paying attention.

He should be no more than a depth signing, however judging by Maurice's latest comments, he'll be anything but when healthy.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Jets fans? It's the media and coach that have been pumping Hendrick's tires this fall.

Headscratchers like the Strait signing are going to get a lot of attention around here - especially considering he was 33% of the team's free agent activity that summer and did nothing to address the club's weakenesses. Also, I think plenty of bytes were spent talking about Strait on the Islanders' board before he got here (a few Isles posters even came by here to offer their condolences to us on July 1, 2016).

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Leave it to the Jets to sign these “
Warriors”
That’s the point because there is no point

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jets fans? It's the media and coach that have been pumping Hendrick's tires this fall.

It may be confirmation bias at work but it feels like TNSE and the media have hyped Hendricks more than Little was hyped last season when he was returning from injury.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Leave it to the Jets to sign these “
Warriors”
That’s the point because there is no point
And good teams don’t employ useless face punchers like thorburn.

Chicago has Tootoo
Pittsburgh trades for Reaves and had sestitto
St. Louis signed thorburn
Nashville traded for McLeod at the deadline
Washington signed Peluso
Glass has played on Pittsburgh, the rangers and now Calgary since leaving the jets.

Seem like many people on this site for some reason think It’s against the norm for teams to have fighters, role players and heart/soul type players.

I’m not saying they’re needed or not needed, my point is they’re in the game and the jets use them just as every other team in the league does.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
And good teams don’t employ useless face punchers like thorburn.

Chicago has Tootoo
Pittsburgh trades for Reaves and had sestitto
St. Louis signed thorburn
Nashville traded for McLeod at the deadline
Washington signed Peluso
Glass has played on Pittsburgh, the rangers and now Calgary since leaving the jets.

Seem like many people on this site for some reason think It’s against the norm for teams to have fighters, role players and heart/soul type players.

I’m not saying they’re needed or not needed, my point is they’re in the game and the jets use them just as every other team in the league does.
For the countless times we heard how good Thornburn was in the room , what did that really mean in the end for the team and I’m being serious ?
He was an offensive black hole who often dragged down the team mates who happened to get stuck with him.
How many complaints did we have about him during the numerous staged fights that did ZERO to motivate the team or change momentum.
Chevy finally did the right thing and rid us of him only to get another version with a smaller nose.
That’s the part I don’t get ?

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Watching Hendricks battle in practice yesterday, I could see where he could provide some value...watching him on the draws not as much.

Until he actually plays and we have a few games to assess what he brings, I will reserve judgement. Maybe he will turn out as many expect or maybe he brings value? Nonetheless not going to chastise him until he’s played a game or three!

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
For the countless times we heard how good Thornburn was in the room , what did that really mean in the end for the team and I’m being serious ?
He was an offensive black hole who often dragged down the team mates who happened to get stuck with him.
How many complaints did we have about him during the numerous staged fights that did ZERO to motivate the team or change momentum.
Chevy finally did the right thing and rid us of him only to get another version with a smaller nose.
That’s the part I don’t get ?

Thor was nothing like Hendricks. Nobody's ever mentioned the words Thorburn and Leadership in the same sentence. Hendricks is also an outsider. He's not subject to the established pecking order of things.

This is not to say I think signing Hendricks was a smart move. Only I wish people would stop bringing up Stuart and Thorburn as comparisons. It's not the same.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
At least hendricks plays long enough and hard enough to take a shower after he plays a game.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Thor was nothing like Hendricks. Nobody's ever mentioned the words Thorburn and Leadership in the same sentence. Hendricks is also an outsider. He's not subject to the established pecking order of things.

This is not to say I think signing Hendricks was a smart move. Only I wish people would stop bringing up Stuart and Thorburn as comparisons. It's not the same.
Glue guys....they're essentially the same. All of their contributions

Glue guys, intangibles, blah, blah. They are essentially the same in the big picture. Fine as depth, shouldn't play too much but probably will.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Glue guys....they're essentially the same. All of their contributions

Glue guys, intangibles, blah, blah. They are essentially the same in the big picture. Fine as depth, shouldn't play too much but probably will.

No they probably won't play much since most of the TOIs goes to the top 6. If you fail to see that Thorburn is very different than Hendricks sorry. Carry on

All you got is blah blah blah rant rant rant

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
No they probably won't play much since most of the TOIs goes to the top 6. If you fail to see that Thorburn is very different than Hendricks sorry. Carry on

Thorburn and Hendricks are pretty much the same though. They are both glue guys who lead to their team getting outscored as soon as they step on the ice. Hendricks has a long history of this.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Thorburn and Hendricks are pretty much the same though. They are both glue guys who lead to their team getting outscored as soon as they step on the ice. Hendricks has a long history of this.

Thorburn was never considered vocal and never considered a leader. Hendricks is considered both.

I'm saying they are not the same that way. I was not talking about anything else and I would rather the team have not signed him.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Too much as in being in the lineup at all. I realize how much the bottom 3 play, especially with Maurice. So let's not talk about any of them then.

If you think Hendrick's mythical leadership abilities makes him way different than Thorburn, have at it.

The end product on the ice ends up the same. That's not a rant.

Reactions: Board Bard

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Too much as in being in the lineup at all. I realize how much the bottom 3 play, especially with Maurice. So let's not talk about any of them then.

If you think Hendrick's mythical leadership abilities makes him way different than Thorburn, have at it.

The end product on the ice ends up the same. That's not a rant.

Maybe wait until he actually plays in a game before confirming your bias?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad