Matt Hendricks signs 1yr contract with Jets.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Bias? Ok, I'm biased because I don't value Hendrick's or players whose main reason for being in a lineup has little to do with hockey playing ability.

I've seen him play plenty......meh.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Eesh all this for Hendricks. Considering what Copp/Petan/Matthias have given us up the middle when given the chance this year I don't have much consternation regarding him actually playing in a game.

His injury left the door open for someone to grab a spot but that hasn't happened on the PK or C.

Don't expect him to wow me in any way.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What I find annoying is ever increasing bending over backwards to come up with reasons for Hendricks being with the Jets. First it was that the was just signed for the moose or at best a warm body for the pressbox, then it was that he signed to teach the Jets young bottom-6 how to practice really hard and be an inspiration at training camp and not really a serious contender for the lineup. Now he's here to provide some mythical leadership.

Lets just admit that Chevy/Maurice acquired him because they genuinely feel he can help them win (through his faceoffs, his work ethic and hardwork as per them). Chevy/Maurice have never made any qualms about it, they have never tried to beat around the bush about him, they have been surprisingly forthright. I don't understand why fans keep trying to come up with reasons other than just "Chevy/Maurice think he will help the Jets win". That's all there is it to it. If you really paid attention to what Chevy/Maurice said since the day he was signed, he was here to play in the lineup.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What I find annoying is ever increasing bending over backwards to come up with reasons for Hendricks being with the Jets. First it was that the was just signed for the moose or at best a warm body for the pressbox, then it was that he signed to teach the Jets young bottom-6 how to practice really hard and be an inspiration at training camp and not really a serious contender for the lineup. Now he's here to provide some mythical leadership.

Lets just admit that Chevy/Maurice acquired him because they genuinely feel he can help them win (through his faceoffs, his work ethic and hardwork as per them). Chevy/Maurice have never made any qualms about it, they have never tried to beat around the bush about him, they have been surprisingly forthright. I don't understand why fans keep trying to come up with reasons other than just "Chevy/Maurice think he will help the Jets win". That's all there is it to it. If you really paid attention to what Chevy/Maurice said since the day he was signed, he was here to play in the lineup.

I haven't changed. I never thought he was signed for the Mooses. I haven't been too distraught about it either after the initial shock wore off. I just accepted him as a member of the team.

I'm willing to give him a chance to show on the ice whether it was wise or not. We'll see how the team reacts when he's out there doing his thing. We haven't had that chance yet.

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Maybe if any of the young players in the bottom six had done literally anything positive this season it wouldn't be so easy to take them out of the lineup...

Reactions: JetBlue420

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
He will bring a lot of that much needed grit and leadership. A gritty veteran , indestructible warrior(almost) , faceoff wizard , Maurice will love him. We will see him in the second line eventually.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Maybe if any of the young players in the bottom six had done literally anything positive this season it wouldn't be so easy to take them out of the lineup...
Maybe if Maurice put the right players together in the bottom 6 it would be helpful also

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe if Maurice put the right players together in the bottom 6 it would be helpful also
Well we have run a 4th line of Dano-Petan-Armia. Isn't that the type of young scoring 4th line everyone was demanding in past seasons? Problem was they were terrible.

Reactions: ERYX

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada

What's the "right players together"? It seems like there are always excuses around here for Petan and Dano. How is a line of Petan-Copp-Dano or Dano-Petan-Armia improper use/making Petan and Dano play with "slugs"? It seems to me they've been given the chance to play with not-Thorburn by playing with each other plus Copp/Armia who are decent and they've done nothing.

If they can only produce if paired with the likes of Schiefele and Laine how do they escape the criticism levelled at others that their game is merely being elevated by those elite players?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Well we have run a 4th line of Dano-Petan-Armia. Isn't that the type of young scoring 4th line everyone was demanding in past seasons? Problem was they were terrible.

The Dano-Petan-Armia line was on the ice for 8:21 minutes this season. Five shots for, one shot against. No goals for or against. No penalties for or against.

Maybe you're thinking of another line?

Reactions: Board Bard

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Dano-Petan-Armia line was on the ice for 8:21 minutes this season. Five shots for, one shot against. No goals for or against. No penalties for or against.

Maybe you're thinking of another line?
Not according to Corsica....

5v5

Dano-Petan-Armia (8.35 min, CF 7 CA 6)

All lines with Dano and Petan (17.65 min, CF 10 CA 19, GF 0 GA 1)

Sample size is extremely small...

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Not according to Corsica....

5v5

Dano-Petan-Armia (8.35 min, CF 7 CA 6)

All lines with Dano and Petan (17.65 min, CF 10 CA 19, GF 0 GA 1)

Sample size is extremely small...

8.35 min = 8 min 21s, and the numbers were shots on goal.

my point: you can't really say that we "have run" DPA when they spent less than 10 minutes on the ice together, and the only "terrible" thing that could happen in such a short time would be a goal against or a penalty against, neither of which happened. Maybe we should try actually playing DPA together in an NHL game, not just in morning skates.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Thor was nothing like Hendricks. Nobody's ever mentioned the words Thorburn and Leadership in the same sentence. Hendricks is also an outsider. He's not subject to the established pecking order of things.

This is not to say I think signing Hendricks was a smart move. Only I wish people would stop bringing up Stuart and Thorburn as comparisons. It's not the same.

Thorburn was never considered vocal and never considered a leader. Hendricks is considered both.

I'm saying they are not the same that way. I was not talking about anything else and I would rather the team have not signed him.

Are you forgetting Thorburn was an alternate captain in 2011-12?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes that doesn't change a thing.

Are we really going to such lengths to down play guys like Thor and Stuart for that matter just to pump Hendricks?

For my money they are all cut from the same cloth. All three where retained or acquired largely for what they brought off the ice in the room. All of Thor and Stuart where seen as key players in the room and both where seen as leaders. No different than Hendricks. The other two both worked and battled just as hard off and on the ice. Maybe Hendricks is more vocal than Thor but he essentially is performing the same function in the room. On the ice he might be a better PKer and he can win faceoffs but his overall effectiveness likely isn't much greater.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Are we really going to such lengths to down play guys like Thor and Stuart for that matter just to pump Hendricks?

For my money they are all cut from the same cloth. All three where retained or acquired largely for what they brought off the ice in the room. All of Thor and Stuart where seen as key players in the room and both where seen as leaders. No different than Hendricks. The other two both worked and battled just as hard off and on the ice. Maybe Hendricks is more vocal than Thor but he essentially is performing the same function in the room. On the ice he might be a better PKer and he can win faceoffs but his overall effectiveness likely isn't much greater.

We've had this debate once already. You want to revisit it? Why?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Yes that doesn't change a thing.

Doesn't change a thing? it negates your entire argument here when you say things like "Nobody's ever mentioned the words Thorburn and Leadership in the same sentence" and "Thorburn was never considered vocal and never considered a leader"... yet, the org. assigned him with an 'A'. How stubborn can you possibly be?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Doesn't change a thing? it negates your entire argument here when you say things like "Nobody's ever mentioned the words Thorburn and Leadership in the same sentence" and "Thorburn was never considered vocal and never considered a leader"... yet, the org. assigned him with an 'A'. How stubborn can you possibly be?

Let me rephrase. It doesn't change a thing for me.

I don't consider Thor much of a leader. I don't consider Stuart much of a leader either. To me the A doesn't matter. Hendricks doesn't have a letter but I think he probably has more leadership skill in his big toe nail than the other two combined.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
He will bring a lot of that much needed grit and leadership. A gritty veteran , indestructible warrior(almost) , faceoff wizard , Maurice will love him. We will see him in the second line eventually.
Hendricks a face off wizard? Have you looked at his face off numbers the last couple seasons, did he even win a face off in the preseason?

Not completely knocking Hendricks at getting a chance to play a couple games because our bottom six has done squat this season but it’s pretty sad a 36 year old wash up is the competition for a spot there!

Only reason Hendricks was signed and is here is because he is the Buff whisperer!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4th Line Beast

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We've had this debate once already. You want to revisit it? Why?

This isn't at all the same debate. I never once in my post said he wasn't a leader. I said he was brought in to be the grizzled vet leader who works his butt off all the time. I don't see much of a difference between him Thor and Stuart, your free to disagree. They all where hailed as being veteran heart and soul in the room leader types. Maybe he fullfills the role better, maybe he doesn't but he's essentially assuming the Thor/Stuart leadership role imo.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
This isn't at all the same debate. I never once in my post said he wasn't a leader. I said he was brought in to be the grizzled vet leader who works his butt off all the time. I don't see much of a difference between him Thor and Stuart, your free to disagree. They all where hailed as being veteran heart and soul in the room leader types. Maybe he fullfills the role better, maybe he doesn't but he's essentially assuming the Thor/Stuart leadership role imo.

It is the same debate. I respectfully disagree on how you equate their leadership abilities. I do agree with you about Hendricks on ice ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad