Matt Hendricks signs 1yr contract with Jets.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

#RiotTogether if Hendricks is in the lineup opening night. Giving him a spot on the ice after dropping to 24 in this draft to "keep this group together" is one of the most inexcusable thing this franchise can do. I will be forced to bring the "bag over the head" avatar back from retirement if they do this

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

#RiotTogether if Hendricks is in the lineup opening night. Giving him a spot on the ice after dropping to 24 in this draft to "keep this group together" is one of the most inexcusable thing this franchise can do. I will be forced to bring the "bag over the head" avatar back from retirement if they do this

We play the Leafs. Do they have a "tough guy"?

Perhaps we should let TC actually play out and wait until we see how healthy we are once it's over before we judge any lineup decisions?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
We play the Leafs. Do they have a "tough guy"?

Perhaps we should let TC actually play out and wait until we see how healthy we are once it's over before we judge any lineup decisions?

I don't care if the other team is putting Brock Lesner on the ice. Nothing justifies playing Hendricks after all we gave up at the XD to "keep this roster together".

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Injuries?

Nope. We will have half a dozen better forwards in the AHL. There are still better UFA's out there. There will be better F's waived before the season opens.

Some are still accusing the Jets/TNSE of being cheap because we have cap space left. I've never really bought that but the cap would have allowed a 1 year, 4 mil deal with Jagr. Maybe 3 mil is enough, IDK. But whatever, he would contribute far more to winning this year than Hendricks possibly could. Never mind the 15+ goals, I'd bet he is a better PK'er too and talk about leadership!

Not necessarily pumping for Jagr. The point is that there were plenty of better ways to improve the Jets for this 1 season. That would have included doing nothing. Signing Hendricks was just a bad idea.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Nope. We will have half a dozen better forwards in the AHL. There are still better UFA's out there. There will be better F's waived before the season opens.

Some are still accusing the Jets/TNSE of being cheap because we have cap space left. I've never really bought that but the cap would have allowed a 1 year, 4 mil deal with Jagr. Maybe 3 mil is enough, IDK. But whatever, he would contribute far more to winning this year than Hendricks possibly could. Never mind the 15+ goals, I'd bet he is a better PK'er too and talk about leadership!

Not necessarily pumping for Jagr. The point is that there were plenty of better ways to improve the Jets for this 1 season. That would have included doing nothing. Signing Hendricks was just a bad idea.

I disagree that the best thing would necessarily be to insert a young AHL player. He'd like get 5-6 min per game and it would be unlikely those players would be utilized on the PK.. Long term better for development to play big minutes in the A IMO

I'm not a Hendricks fan and would have preferred him to not be a Jet, but you have your head in the sand if you expect the Jets not to utilize him if the injury bug takes it's toll. That's one reason he was signed.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I've actually been silently "pumping for Jagr" & considered addressing the issue in it's own thread.

Beyond what he brings on ice, he would set quite the example to the young talent on the Jets as to what it takes for a long NHL career & the financial windfall that can be the result.

With initial ELC & bridge contracts, many players don't begin earning serious money until into their late 20's. The window for big money is relatively short. Being conditioned to play into ones late 30's should be the ultimate goal, but can only be achieved via a strict diet, conditioning & discipline, things Jagr sets the gold standard for.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jager is seemingly waiting for the right deal, whatever that means. So it's hard to say whether we are interested and he's turned us down or if we haven't bothered.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jager is seemingly waiting for the right deal, whatever that means. So it's hard to say whether we are interested and he's turned us down or if we haven't bothered.

My guess is the later, with less than a month to go to the season opener, I doubt Jagr would turn down a decent NHL offer regardless of the city, esp when the alternative is riding the buses in Russia

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree that the best thing would necessarily be to insert a young AHL player. He'd like get 5-6 min per game and it would be unlikely those players would be utilized on the PK.. Long term better for development to play big minutes in the A IMO

I'm not a Hendricks fan and would have preferred him to not be a Jet, but you have your head in the sand if you expect the Jets not to utilize him if the injury bug takes it's toll. That's one reason he was signed.

You suggested injuries would provide an excuse to use him. I disagree. I'm sure he will be used though. That doesn't excuse it.

I'm also not talking about having a prospect assigned to the PB. That position can be filled by Tanev. Or Lipon. Or any of several FA's better than Hendricks. I'm talking about an injury callup. I don't know why you assume an AHL callup would get 5-6 minutes per game just because that is all Hendricks would get. That depends on a lot of things. Who is the callup? Who would he line up with?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You suggested injuries would provide an excuse to use him. I disagree. I'm sure he will be used though. That doesn't excuse it.

I'm also not talking about having a prospect assigned to the PB. That position can be filled by Tanev. Or Lipon. Or any of several FA's better than Hendricks. I'm talking about an injury callup. I don't know why you assume an AHL callup would get 5-6 minutes per game just because that is all Hendricks would get. That depends on a lot of things. Who is the callup? Who would he line up with?

Also why shouldn't our young players be playing on the PK over a known terrible performer in Hendricks.

Roslovic played plenty on the PK last season on the Moose. Harkins and Spacek where big PK players in junior and should be trained on it on the farm this season. I'd be far more comfortable rolling the dice with them than Hendricks.

It's this kind of backwards thinking that had a known awful PK performer in Stuart starting ON minutes from JoMo for 2/3rds the year last year. Low and behold JoMo performed quite a bit better than Stuart (Best on the team in a number of metrics) when he got a consistent opportunity. Maurice needs to stop with ineffective player usage decisions.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My guess is the later, with less than a month to go to the season opener, I doubt Jagr would turn down a decent NHL offer regardless of the city, esp when the alternative is riding the buses in Russia

You know they don't ride buses in Russia right? I mean do I have to say it...

Jagr already has turned down good NHL offers to play in Russia for 3 years. If NHL won't give him the role he wants I fully expect him to sign in Russia by Oct 1.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Ok I'll bite, who do you have ahead of him and behind him on the depth chart? For me I see no reason for him to see regular NHL ice barring a mumps outbreak in the Jets and Moose locker rooms

He's most likely going to be 13/14 forward IMO. He will be practicing with the big club not a member of the Mooses.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

I heard that too. A vomit-inducing interview. He said Hendricks is great on the PK, stressing the word gggrrreeeaaattt like Tony the Tiger. Holy ****. Then he had the nerve to brag about the analytics the Jets use. What a ****ing dinosaur. Maurice should change his name to Snap-on because he's such a tool.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I heard that too. A vomit-inducing interview. He said Hendricks is great on the PK, stressing the word gggrrreeeaaattt like Tony the Tiger. Holy ****. Then he had the nerve to brag about the analytics the Jets use. What a ****ing dinosaur. Maurice should change his name to Snap-on because he's such a tool.

To be fair he said that Henriks won't look good from an analytics perspective so I guess he can read them correctly. He's just choosing to ignore what they say in this instance.....

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
To be fair he said that Henriks won't look good from an analytics perspective so I guess he can read them correctly. He's just choosing to ignore what they say in this instance.....

I wouldn't be sure about Maurice being able to read them correctly, or interpreting them correctly. In any case, ignoring them so totally in Hendricks' case only makes him more of a dinosaur.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be sure about Maurice being able to read them correctly, or interpreting them correctly. In any case, ignoring them so totally in Hendricks' case only makes him more of a dinosaur.

I'm not sure 90% of the people on here or half the people who blog about them truly use them properly.

I'd really like us to try the 3 scoring lines and Lowry 4th line too but it's obvious that's not how Maurice wants to run the team. I get if we had Sullivan's system here we'd be looking better but we don't.

Chevy has filled in all the cracks the way Maurice wants them filled and I think some here will be suprised how well we do. He's just another Slater.

Him vs Petan 4th line isn't going to make much of a difference since Petan doesn't produce with bottom six wingers either. Or play great defense.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I don't like this at all... :rant::rant::rant:

It's an ominous sign that Maurice might not really understand how to coach a skilled roster like the one Chevy has given him the keys to.

Hendricks was #4 among Oilers' forwards in SH TOI/GP last year. I thought McLellan was a bit sharper...

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Maurice knows full well what the analytics say on guys like Stu, Thorbs & Hendricks. He either doesn't buy into the anlytics or it just makes him more determined to play those guys more. And seriously, I don't think it will take injuries to get Hendricks into the lineup. Even if he only uses him for 5-6 mins per night, he'll be in like clockwork -- just like Thorbs was

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->