Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Its terrifying.

Backes turns into Beleskey/Hayes you can likely kiss McAvoy good bye because we won't be able to resign him due to our 6 mil 4th liner. Its not that the guy is a terrible player that gets me its that we aren't comfortable playing him at his best position despite him being paid that much and having 3.5 years left.

Sounds like me talking about Loui Eriksson, of course Backes is a much better player than Loui, always has been always will be.

The last year on Backes contract probably wont be so great but he will still bring intangibles and a gritty game. Sorry he's not Austin Czarnik.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
But they didn't sign him to be a "good third line player". They signed him and played him on the top line his first year with DK. After a long run, they finally moved him down because he simply wasn't what he was in ANA where he scored 22 goals in 65 games and added 8 more in 16 playoff games. They expected him to sustain that kind of play and thought they'd get him for a bargain. He fell back to what he really was and they grossly overpaid. Suggesting he was brought here to be a 3rd line guy is changing the narrative in a big way, IMO.

Changing someone else's narrative maybe, I never envisioned Beleskey in the top 6 if this team is a contender, initial rebuild with no other options sure, but third line is where you wanted him when some of those kids made the jump. Management wants options, they had options with him, when he became poor enough that he couldn't even play on the fourth line, the only option left is waivers... but I think it's untrue to say he was brought in the be a permanent top 6 player

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Well, he's never going to live up to the contract, but it would be great if Matt found his game again down in Providence and could return as a solid, heavy third line player which is what he was at his best. I hope for the best here as it is infinitely preferable to moving him and retaining salary and probably losing an asset to make it happen, or buying him out and paying for him for the next several years.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Well, he's never going to live up to the contract, but it would be great if Matt found his game again down in Providence and could return as a solid, heavy third line player which is what he was at his best. I hope for the best here as it is infinitely preferable to moving him and retaining salary and probably losing an asset to make it happen, or buying him out and paying for him for the next several years.

That would be nice. Maybe it will work as wake up call once he starts riding the buses and see's the young kids busting their buts trying to take his job up in Boston.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Well the Matt Belesky era in Boston appears to be over. He definitely did not deserve an active roster spot when he was doing his best impression of Jimmy Hayes 2.0.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Changing someone else's narrative maybe, I never envisioned Beleskey in the top 6 if this team is a contender, initial rebuild with no other options sure, but third line is where you wanted him when some of those kids made the jump. Management wants options, they had options with him, when he became poor enough that he couldn't even play on the fourth line, the only option left is waivers... but I think it's untrue to say he was brought in the be a permanent top 6 player

While you may not have envisioned him being a top 6 player, the front office certainly did. Saying he was not brought here to be that is akin to the people who said the same thing about Michael Ryder. Just because both of those guys ended up as bottom six players due to sub par play, it does not mean the team thought they were signing those guys to be that. They weren't. I mean hell, they acted like he was the prize free agent of the off season that year. Do you act that way when you sign a guy you expect to be a bottom 6 depth guy? Seriously?

And again, this theory that he played himself down there AFTER year one is a falsehood. He played himself down to the third line in year one. He may have had a career high in assists that season, but his goals regressed tremendously from the prior year and the added points were mainly tertiary assists he compiled while being on the top line for most of the year and playing more minutes than he'd ever gotten.

People seem to forget that going into that year, Brad Marchand wasn't what he is today. Yes, he became that during that season, but going into the year, he and Bergeron were the defacto second line. Hence why they went out and signed Beleskey to start with and why MB got so much time playing wing with DK initially. It was only after he wasn't scoring that he was moved down.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
That would be nice. Maybe it will work as wake up call once he starts riding the buses and see's the young kids busting their buts trying to take his job up in Boston.
I have to assume the knee injury is a bigger factor than anything. I don't think effort or desire is an issue. I saw a guy fighting to have an impact but too often arriving too late for opportunity or hit.

My hope at this point is that he's a veteran character guy that helps our young talent progress and develop with PB's. I realize that's not much for the cap hit, but at this point it seems to be what it is.

Even sour lemonade can be at least a little bit better than lemons. Back in the day I'd load it with vodka, light a cigar and get drunk.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Your math is off. He never scored 44 points. It was 15 goals and 22 assists for 37 points. Which is a .49 ppg average and not the kind of production you want from a guy getting that many minutes like he did that season. The only reason he even got that point total was the minutes. You reduce the TOI and his production plummets, IMO.

My bad! I'm not sure where I got the 44 from....in my defense I had to have a tutor for math all through high school...

I guess I was thinking more of his goals than overall points, anyway. 15 goals is still 15 goals. Is it a great number, comparatively? no. But I wouldn't say that's nothing either.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My bad! I'm not sure where I got the 44 from....in my defense I had to have a tutor for math all through high school...

I guess I was thinking more of his goals than overall points, anyway. 15 goals is still 15 goals. Is it a great number, comparatively? no. But I wouldn't say that's nothing either.

No worries, just correcting it for accuracy sake. In terms of the 15 goals, it was okay, but I honestly believe they felt they'd found a late bloomer in Beleskey, and expected more. Which is even more troublesome because it means the evaluation by the pro scouts was once again flawed.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Has Beleskey said anything since getting waived?

Kind of doubt the Bruins would push him in front of microphones. And if they did, he'd probably say something like, "I'm going to go down to Providence, I'm going to play my ass off, and do what I can to get back up in the big club." It's hardly newsworthy that he got waived...they mentioned it on the NBCSN broadcast, no? No doubt he'd been expecting/dreading yesterday.

I get why they did it, and I get the timing. Still, it sucks to get sent down just two weeks before Christmas. Can't be fun for the family.

EDIT: He just posted this on Twitter...

Pretty much what I said. Hope he gets his game back...not super optimistic about it, but it only helps the team if he does.

Last edited:

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Kind of doubt the Bruins would push him in front of microphones. And if they did, he'd probably say something like, "I'm going to go down to Providence, I'm going to play my ass off, and do what I can to get back up in the big club." It's hardly newsworthy that he got waived...they mentioned it on the NBCSN broadcast, no? No doubt he'd been expecting/dreading yesterday.

I get why they did it, and I get the timing. Still, it sucks to get sent down just two weeks before Christmas. Can't be fun for the family.

EDIT: He just posted this on Twitter...

Pretty much what I said. Hope he gets his game back...not super optimistic about it, but it only helps the team if he does.

Nice to see he is going down to Providence with a good attitude.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Well the Matt Belesky era in Boston appears to be over. He definitely did not deserve an active roster spot when he was doing his best impression of Jimmy Hayes 2.0.

Hayes was given chance after chance and logged big minutes with top linemates despite the miserable production.

Beleskey never saw over 11 minutes of icetime in a game this season. Last year he was terrible but he was hurt.

Good for him if he isn't sulking and takes this as an opportunity to play and score goals. If he goes full Vatrano in Providence I want him back up sooner rather than later.

Im actually angry we never humiliated that fraud Hayes with a demotion to Providence he deserved it far more.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
matt moulson, who i thought was even more useless than beleskey at this point, has 7 assists in 3 AHL games since
being sent down. never know. playing games is better than sitting, even in the minors.

I kicked and screamed for a Beleskey for Moulson swap a couple weeks ago.

But Donny is scared to trade NHLers for NHLers. Its not that Moulson is a star its one less kid you lose in 2 years when its time for new contracts because Beleskey wasn't bought out or isn't still around at a 3.8 cap hit.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
matt moulson, who i thought was even more useless than beleskey at this point, has 7 assists in 3 AHL games since
being sent down. never know. playing games is better than sitting, even in the minors.

I'm sure like me, due to your proximity saw a lot of the islanders Moulson...what the heck happened to him? Was it all Tavares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad