Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I was actually a big fan after his first year. I even bought a jersey. So cheap I should have known better. Sleeves too long, wrong material, but at least they spelled his name right. Turned out it was one of the worst cases of buyers remorse (ok, maybe a bit of hyperbole)...kind of like Beleskey's contract.

That said, I'm glad to see that despite his fallen production, (most) people are at least acknowledging his effort, and the fact that he's a great guy and loves the team and the town. He turned into not such a great hockey player but remained a good guy. I guess that's led to the way he wasn't run out on a rail like Hayes was. Like many have said, Beleskey is a good guy and I wish him the best.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I can't remember the exact number, but all but just shy of $1M still counts against our cap.

When you factor in his replacement on the roster, it really isn't much of a savings. But every bit counts... And the more we can bank, the more cap flexibility we'll have at the deadline.

$1,025,000

Actually Scott, the whole amount is a savings on the cap. No replacement required because once Spooner is ready to go, and then McQuaid, and then Cehlarik they are two bodies over the roster limit. There is no replacement coming.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This move isn't on Beleskey but rather another indictment of the front office and their inability to scout NHL players. It's shocking how bad they are at this.

This move isn’t on Beleskey?

Ummm...sure.

Because it’s not like the player themselves is responsible for their preparation for the season or anything. Or the fact that they signed a deal for $4m per and then showed up out of shape and a shadow of what they were the first year as a B.

That’s ALL on the FO.

Typical of today’s society where nobody wants to take responsibility for anything. It’s much easier to blame someone else.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This move isn’t on Beleskey?

Ummm...sure.

Because it’s not like the player themselves is responsible for their preparation for the season or anything. Or the fact that they signed a deal for $4m per and then showed up out of shape and a shadow of what they were the first year as a B.

That’s ALL on the FO.

Typical of today’s society where nobody wants to take responsibility for anything. It’s much easier to blame someone else.

Joe, Beleskey is what he's always been - a marginal bottom 6 kind of grinder. They grossly overpaid a guy after one anomaly of a season. Stop me if you've heard this one before - Chris Kelly says hello.

Just because they thought they were smarter than everyone else doesn't mean Beleskey was ever going to be what they wanted and needed him to be. He's not that guy. His shooting percentage from that one year alone should have told PROFESSIONAL scouts that it was not something any average player could sustain. They just thought they were getting a late bloomer for a discount, so they jumped. It didn't work out because the guy fell back to earth, which was incredibly predictable. This signing was completely misguided from the jump. So again, it's not on the player for taking the money and the contract. It's on the team for not seeing the reality of the situation and offering him the deal to begin with.

As for his first year here, that is something that everyone here romanticizes, IMO. The guy played nearly three quarters of the season on the first line with DK that year. He never performed to that kind of level here and never deserved that time up on that line. But the team signed him and needed him to be that. He wasn't. He isn't.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Joe, Beleskey is what he's always been - a marginal bottom 6 kind of grinder. They grossly overpaid a guy after one anomaly of a season. Stop me if you've heard this one before - Chris Kelly says hello.

Just because they thought they were smarter than everyone else doesn't mean Beleskey was ever going to be what they wanted and needed him to be. He's not that guy. His shooting percentage from that one year alone should have told PROFESSIONAL scouts that it was not something any average player could sustain. They just thought they were getting a late bloomer for a discount, so they jumped. It didn't work out because the guy fell back to earth, which was incredibly predictable. This signing was completely misguided from the jump. So again, it's not on the player for taking the money and the contract. It's on the team for not seeing the reality of the situation and offering him the deal to begin with.

As for his first year here, that is something that everyone here romanticizes, IMO. The guy played nearly three quarters of the season on the first line with DK that year. He never performed to that kind of level here and never deserved that time up on that line. But the team signed him and needed him to be that. He wasn't. He isn't.

Beleskey showed in his last year in ANA and his first year in Boston what he was capable of...and that was not a marginal Bottom 6.

He may have been overpaid for what he was, but he’s not even close to that any more. The guy is the poster child for underachievers, and a good chunk of the blame is on the player.

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Beleskey showed in his last year in ANA and his first year in Boston what he was capable of...and that was not a marginal Bottom 6.

He may have been overpaid for what he was, but he’s not even close to that any more. The guy is the poster child for underachievers, and a good chunk of the blame is on the player.

No he didn't. He put up 32 and 37 points. That's a .44 and .49 ppg guy and that's simply not a top line guy. Which is where he played for most of the first year in Boston. He was fifth for forwards in ATOI that year with just under 16 minutes per night. The only forwards ahead of him were DK, Marchand, Bergy, and Loui and those guys all killed penalties

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This move isn't on Beleskey but rather another indictment of the front office and their inability to scout NHL players. It's shocking how bad they are at this.

Sad thing is Beleskey was only the 2nd worst contract on the team.

Backes has a good game against Arizona with 2 goals...and follows it up with not only zero points but also playing worse than any player in the lineup.

With how slow he is hes not far off Beleskey/Hayes not good enough for the 4th line territory.

Reactions: Estlin and LSCII

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I don't understand why people can't grasp the fact that Beleskey almost played a third of the season last year before going down with the knee injury. And in those 24 games, he was 2G, 3A, -6. He was playing like crap before he got hurt.

Exactly. He came in out of shape. A huge no no in this league. Lost his game and never got it back. It's still shocking to me how far he fell. Couldn't get into an inexperienced, injury riddled lineup!

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I feel bad for the guy. I was rooting hard for him to get back to what he did in his first year with the team. 15 goals and 44 points was nothing to sneeze at. And that's not even including the wreck-inducing hits he was throwing that year!

Would that that version of Belesky had stayed in shape and was playing for this team now....such is how it goes though. I'm sure he'll go on to have a career elsewhere. He'll get another shot like Jimmy did.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I still remember Hayes and Beleskey being introduced as the newest bruins at a Red Sox game. He's very lucky to get that contract. Never was that good. One good year playing with some very very good players helped.

Reactions: Mainehockey33

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
No he didn't. He put up 32 and 37 points. That's a .44 and .49 ppg guy and that's simply not a top line guy. Which is where he played for most of the first year in Boston. He was fifth for forwards in ATOI that year with just under 16 minutes per night. The only forwards ahead of him were DK, Marchand, Bergy, and Loui and those guys all killed penalties

It's not a "marginal" bottom 6 player either, it's a good 3rd line player, and I think we'd all be perfectly fine seeing Beleskey make 3.8 if he actually put up those points and hit and forechecked well...but he does nothing now. If I had to make a rough estimate, I'd say this is 25%on Sweeney and 75 on Beleskey. You could argue Sweeney shouldn't have signed him for that amount or that term because a) his overall career stats showed it might be iffy that he would do that consistently, he was in a contract year, and you have good kids coming up BUT, his job is also to provide the team with good players season to season not wait for prospects, so signing a guy that could potentially give you .4 ppg, more with a good center, can hit fight and forecheck well isn't a bad move.

The rest is on Matt, I remember when he first came here he was boasting his new work out regimen and trainer, then showed up next season out of shape, got injured, and all down hill from there

Would we like to Sweeney become half as good at making hockey trades and free agent signings as they've been at draft and develop? Absolutely, but ultimately players need to deliver

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
My fear is this same scenario playing out with Backes. We grabbed these guys that are starting to decline. Hopefully Backes gives a few good years, but it’s definitely something to watch.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Sometimes a player is put on waivers to see if they can draw interest from other teams knowing, in this case, they can negotiate retained salary.

I have it on excellent authority that a western conference team (you know I will not name the team) would take on Beleskey for a 3rd round pick and 50% retained salary.

Cap hit in Providence = $2,775,000
Cap hit at 50% retained = $1,900,000

If said team sent him to the AHL, they would get the full $1,025,000 in cap relief and the Bruins would be charged with $1,900,000 cap hit. Basically, said team would be buying a draft pick for $875,000 cap hit in this case.

If said team were to buy him out at the end of the season, the Bruins would be charged $950,000 towards the cap for 4 years.

In the end, and this is just my opinion, NOT worth the $875,000 savings or the risk of a $950,00 cap hit over 4 years if said team buys him out.

Noon today is the deadline as you all know.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Sometimes a player is put on waivers to see if they can draw interest from other teams knowing, in this case, they can negotiate retained salary.

I have it on excellent authority that a western conference team (you know I will not name the team) would take on Beleskey for a 3rd round pick and 50% retained salary.

If said team sent him to the AHL, they would get the full $1,025,000 in cap relief and the Bruins would be charged with $1,900,000 cap hit. Basically, said team would be buying a draft pick for $875,000 cap hit in this case.

If said team were to buy him out at the end of the season, the Bruins would be charged $950,000 towards the cap for 4 years.

In the end, and this is just my opinion, NOT worth the $875,000 savings or the risk of a $950,00 cap hit over 4 years if said team buys him out.

I think that is a dumb rule, once you trade a player his former team should not be on the hook for any buyout from his new team. Also if Beleskey does clear waivers then I prefer just letting him stay in the AHL rather than a buyout, if they buy him out they only save an extra 900k, but they have to carry the cap hit for 4 years, so just let him finish his contract in the AHL and be done with it 2 years.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

I agree, not worth it. Would rather hold onto him, who knows, he might regain his confidence in Providence and help us later in the year.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
I'd be stunned if he's claimed or is traded. I just don't see it occurring.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
My fear is this same scenario playing out with Backes. We grabbed these guys that are starting to decline. Hopefully Backes gives a few good years, but it’s definitely something to watch.

Its terrifying.

Backes turns into Beleskey/Hayes you can likely kiss McAvoy good bye because we won't be able to resign him due to our 6 mil 4th liner. Its not that the guy is a terrible player that gets me its that we aren't comfortable playing him at his best position despite him being paid that much and having 3.5 years left.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I agree, not worth it. Would rather hold onto him, who knows, he might regain his confidence in Providence and help us later in the year.

Agree.

If he goes down there and is a point per game player scoring goals I want him called up and put in the lineup. I like the guy and was happy with his play his first year in Boston. Think he deserved more of a 'chance' this season since Cassidy barely played him and pretty much never gave him a game with 15+ minutes of ice time on a top line.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

If they could make it a 4th instead of a third sign me the f*** up. It's basically a buyout for half the time.

Reactions: Strafer

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I feel bad for the guy. I was rooting hard for him to get back to what he did in his first year with the team. 15 goals and 44 points was nothing to sneeze at. And that's not even including the wreck-inducing hits he was throwing that year!

Would that that version of Belesky had stayed in shape and was playing for this team now....such is how it goes though. I'm sure he'll go on to have a career elsewhere. He'll get another shot like Jimmy did.

Your math is off. He never scored 44 points. It was 15 goals and 22 assists for 37 points. Which is a .49 ppg average and not the kind of production you want from a guy getting that many minutes like he did that season. The only reason he even got that point total was the minutes. You reduce the TOI and his production plummets, IMO.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's not a "marginal" bottom 6 player either, it's a good 3rd line player, and I think we'd all be perfectly fine seeing Beleskey make 3.8 if he actually put up those points and hit and forechecked well...but he does nothing now. If I had to make a rough estimate, I'd say this is 25%on Sweeney and 75 on Beleskey. You could argue Sweeney shouldn't have signed him for that amount or that term because a) his overall career stats showed it might be iffy that he would do that consistently, he was in a contract year, and you have good kids coming up BUT, his job is also to provide the team with good players season to season not wait for prospects, so signing a guy that could potentially give you .4 ppg, more with a good center, can hit fight and forecheck well isn't a bad move.

The rest is on Matt, I remember when he first came here he was boasting his new work out regimen and trainer, then showed up next season out of shape, got injured, and all down hill from there

Would we like to Sweeney become half as good at making hockey trades and free agent signings as they've been at draft and develop? Absolutely, but ultimately players need to deliver

But they didn't sign him to be a "good third line player". They signed him and played him on the top line his first year with DK. After a long run, they finally moved him down because he simply wasn't what he was in ANA where he scored 22 goals in 65 games and added 8 more in 16 playoff games. They expected him to sustain that kind of play and thought they'd get him for a bargain. He fell back to what he really was and they grossly overpaid. Suggesting he was brought here to be a 3rd line guy is changing the narrative in a big way, IMO.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I wish him the best.
I was hoping he'd have a bounce back year. Just don't understand what happened to his game.
At worst people probably thought he'd be an over-paid 3rd liner notching 10g-20a a season. Not a player that would be a healthy scratch on a team icing 5 rookies up front nightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad