Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I remember thinking that he was overpaid when we signed him and my biggest concern was he had 1 good year. He grew on me a bit while he was up, but for whatever reason he just couldn't put it together after his first year here. Hopefully he finds his game in PRO and can get called back up to try and build some value. At this point, I just don't see where he fits in with this team now and for future years.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
This stuck out to me, too. Wasn't he one of the better available wingers in the summer of 2015? Or, at least in terms of wingers who would have a "reasonable" cap hit (ie excluding franchise players.)

I remember being satisfied with the Hayes and Beleskey signings....and I'm satisfied that they're both not on the team now.

Beleskey's first season here 15 goals, 22 assists. 65PIM. 260 hits.

Everyone was happy with the contract for that output.

I'm still willing to give him a chance to regain some of that in Providence and hope for the best.

We'll likely buy him out in the summer, but I hope he takes this assignment serious and comes back with a vengeance, figure he has 2 months to step it up or he's gone at the end of the season anyways one way or another.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
the record with/without Beleskey is not a good look, but it's kind of a chicken & egg thing. Beleskey only made it into the lineup when the Bruins were ravaged with injuries so of course the team was more likely to lose those games. However it's telling that he was like the 17th forward on the depth chart and wasn't a clear upgrade in the cases where he did play.

Reactions: wintersej

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Do those still count against the cap?

Just from reading the article about Streit, it would not.

But it has to be a mutually agreed upon termination, effectively the team and the player agree to part ways, the player then has his contract terminated effective immediately and as the cap is calculated daily, there are no cap implications as the player has agreed to give up the remaining salary owed to him as per his contract.

Like Wintersj said, no chance Beleskey would agree to this and give up in even a worst case scenario for him (a buy-out this summer), the full remaining amount on the rest of this seasons salary, and 2/3 of what's left over the final two years, so a total of 7.5 million pre-tax give or take. That's a lot of dough to sign away.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
This stuck out to me, too. Wasn't he one of the better available wingers in the summer of 2015? Or, at least in terms of wingers who would have a "reasonable" cap hit (ie excluding franchise players.)

I remember being satisfied with the Hayes and Beleskey signings....and I'm satisfied that they're both not on the team now.
You could say it's Sweeney purging his inner self.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Please Baby Jesus, have some team with Cap space and a lack of depth claim Beleskey off waivers...
That would be the best xmas gift Baby Jesus could make. Maybe BJ finally will answer all the HFBoards prayers and free the Bruins from their sin aka the Beleskey signing.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Do not give up hope that someone will eventually take him off the Bruins' hands.

Tomas Kaberle was not resigned by the Bruins but signed with the Canes where he struggled only to have the Habs gladly take him on board.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I liked the signing at the time for the Bruins,if he could score around 20 goals and hit everything in sight like his first year would have been more than happy with him.Not sure what is going on with him,I think he is still capable of playing some better hockey,but yeah don’t think it is going to happen with the Bruins.Not sure if anyone picks him up .

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The complete drop-off in Beleskey's production from the 2016 trade deadline onward will always be one of the great Bruin mysteries for me.

It's Ville Leino bad. I really have no idea wtf happened to this guy. Maybe it was the knee, maybe something personal in his life that stripped him of his professional focus, who knows. I wish him well, whatever happens; Beleskey is a good guy that genuially cares about this city and team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's Ville Leino bad. I really have no idea wtf happened to this guy. Maybe it was the knee, maybe something personal in his life that stripped him of his professional focus, who knows. I wish him well, whatever happens; Beleskey is a good guy that genuially cares about this city and team.

It is, I mean we've seen guys change teams have a big drop off, or from the end of one season to the start of another. But I can't recall seeing a guy just fall off the map production wise like that mid-season with the same club and same coach.

Like you said, I hope the best for him, he did what he could to try and turn things around here, just wasn't enough.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

The best case scenario, he re-figures his game out in Providence, provides the young kids with some mentorship, and gets called back up in 2015-2016 form around the deadline. At that point I hope he either contributes to this team or is moved to someone wanting to take a chance.

If we could avoid buying him out at all costs and NOT having him hurt the team, I'm all for it.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I wonder how much of this was Beleskey and how much was Cassidy. Beleskey at least, as mentioned, should have been able to contribute as a mean third line winger willing to fight in his weight class and sometimes above but he showed zero jump and aggression since Cassidy took over.

For a team as soft as the Bruins to waive one of the very few forwards who has some physicality to his game, especially being forced to eat a huge contract, I wonder if more was in play here.

Not defending his play this year, he has been awful with one of the worst contract in the league.
Maybe he lights it up in Providence and somebody would take him at half price on reentry waivers.

Spooner 2.85 and Beleskey 3.8 would make a pretty good second line wings salary.
Just when one thinks the trail of excuses for Beleskey is miles long, it becomes longer yet. Now, we're down to Cassidy? Good grief. I also blame the Swan Boats; global warming, and that scapegoat for everything, Fox News, as well, for MB's failures this year.

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
As much as it stings because his 1st season here wasn't bad I believe this guy has worn a BB uniform for the last time. Barring some unforseen circumstances of course. He's bad to the point of which being bought out might be it for him in the NHL. Which sucks because he's a good guy. But you can only get so many chances.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I'm all for taking the million and playing guys that deserve it. Sitting Heinen, Kuraly, or even Schaller for Beleskey is a mistake.
After having to see Hayes dressed for years solely because of money, I'm proud of the Bruins today. Hopefully Hayes was a lesson learned.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm all for taking the million and playing guys that deserve it. Sitting Heinen, Kuraly, or even Schaller for Beleskey is a mistake.
After having to see Hayes dressed for years solely because of money, I'm proud of the Bruins today. Hopefully Hayes was a lesson learned.
Hayes, though was an easier call, than currently....

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Posted this question on main board MB thread. Does anyone know the answer?

"Can teams offer compensation for a team to grab a guy? Could Boston give Arizona or Colorado a pick? Maybe a pick for futures (ahem ahem). I confess I don't know the rules on this."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->