Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
He needs to get the looch treatment and get glued to the bicycle machine with the oxygen masks tied to his face.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
As a huge Beleskey defender around these parts last season, I fully admit that the guy is basically useless this year.

He doesn't cause much bad, but he doesn't do much good either. He's just kind of...there.

He's less frustrating than Hayes, but there's just very little to say about his play. Not what you want from a guy on a long term contract. Kind of defines "plug" at the moment.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
As a huge Beleskey defender around these parts last season, I fully admit that the guy is basically useless this year.

He doesn't cause much bad, but he doesn't do much good either. He's just kind of...there.

He's less frustrating than Hayes, but there's just very little to say about his play. Not what you want from a guy on a long term contract. Kind of defines "plug" at the moment.

I dont mean to speak for others here, but I feel like many of us were on the same page last year that, "hey, his numbers are decent. But at the same time hes giving it his all every night and what more can you ask? Production should increase as he continues to mesh with other players on the team blah blahh...."

But hes been a little rough this year. Yeah the injury didnt help but even before that. Really hope he turns it up a notch down the stretch here cause theres currently not much to like about his game. As you said, hes sort of just.. there. Kind of how Heinen was during his call up. But Heinen is also a rookie fresh out of college.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Yeah don't know what has happened to him this season,last season he worked his ass of every shift and hit everything in sight.He has to be hurting or definetly something going n with him.Will be impossible to trade him right now.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I dont mean to speak for others here, but I feel like many of us were on the same page last year that, "hey, his numbers are decent. But at the same time hes giving it his all every night and what more can you ask? Production should increase as he continues to mesh with other players on the team blah blahh...."

But hes been a little rough this year. Yeah the injury didnt help but even before that. Really hope he turns it up a notch down the stretch here cause theres currently not much to like about his game. As you said, hes sort of just.. there. Kind of how Heinen was during his call up. But Heinen is also a rookie fresh out of college.

Well, that was the thing. His numbers were better last year. And his overall effort level (and seemingly, his fitness level) were better.

I liked his game last year. I thought he at least brought intensity and had guys looking over their shoulders for a hit. That, I think, was my biggest thing last year: he ALWAYS finished his hit.

I notice his hits about as much I notice Hayes' "hits" this season.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
He's more frustrating than Hayes. At least Hayes hustles and sometimes makes a forceful play around the net. I don't recall any good plays at all this season from Beleskey, but plenty of nothingburgers and stupid penalties. To be charitable, he's probably hurt. He looks like a shell of himself. He's trying, but lacks the speed and skill to do anything anymore.

JCRO

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Well, that was the thing. His numbers were better last year. And his overall effort level (and seemingly, his fitness level) were better.

I liked his game last year. I thought he at least brought intensity and had guys looking over their shoulders for a hit. That, I think, was my biggest thing last year: he ALWAYS finished his hit.

I notice his hits about as much I notice Hayes' "hits" this season.

Exactly.

A lot of coasting going on. Like I said earlier in this thread, he needs the "Lucic special," the bike and an oxygen mask :laugh:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'll go as far to say he is the biggest disappointment on the team this year.

Too slow, can't keep pace, doesn't have enough hockey sense to compensate for his lack of foot-speed. I though he looked out of shape in October, looked fat and pudgy.

Simply put, he's barely an NHL player right now.

What an awful contract this has turned out to be after what most would of consider a very solid beginning to his Bruins career his first 60 games. He's fallen completely off the map since then.

I find it hard to believe ANY team would even consider taking on his deal, he's been that bad.

Jimmy Hayes has been better.

'Nuff said.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Too slow, can't keep pace, doesn't have enough hockey sense to compensate for his lack of foot-speed. I though he looked out of shape in October, looked fat and pudgy.

What an awful contract this has turned out to be after what most would of consider a very solid beginning to his Bruins career his first 60 games. He's fallen completely off the map since then.

I find it hard to believe ANY team would even consider taking on his deal, he's been that bad.

'Nuff said.

Might take a Heinen or DeBrusk to move on from that contract.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Could they not send him down to Providence,I don't no if he is just out of shape or what.Gve him some playing time down there,I guess f he had to go through waivers and got picked up so be it.Unless there keeping him around for the expansion draft.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Something i cant quite grasp. Guy was lights out in Anaheim, 8 goals in the playoffs and 20 on the season (or thereabouts)

Comes to Boston and has lost the basican akillsnto play hockey, weak on the puck, can't keep the puck on his stick, loses the puck in his skates about 5 times a game, bad at passing and is also bad at receiving passes (explode off his stick a lot)

Whats going on???? Hes a turnover machine that doesnt score, and i get that he loves this place and wants to do well but even Hayes is looking better than him at the moment?? Id be trying to hoik him to ghe Wild (Boudreau obviously likes him) and hope to get something back thats playable (Chris Stewart would give us more, not much, but more)

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Something i cant quite grasp. Guy was lights out in Anaheim, 8 goals in the playoffs and 20 on the season (or thereabouts)

Comes to Boston and has lost the basican akillsnto play hockey, weak on the puck, can't keep the puck on his stick, loses the puck in his skates about 5 times a game, bad at passing and is also bad at receiving passes (explode off his stick a lot)

Whats going on???? Hes a turnover machine that doesnt score, and i get that he loves this place and wants to do well but even Hayes is looking better than him at the moment?? Id be trying to hoik him to ghe Wild (Boudreau obviously likes him) and hope to get something back thats playable (Chris Stewart would give us more, not much, but more)

No way the Wild trade Stewart for Beleskey. Stewart is only getting $1.15 per year and is signed through next year. Beleskey is signed through 2019-20 at $3.8 mil cap hit per year. Stewart has 11 goals and has done a great job of standing up for his teammates. He doesn't put up with any crap from other teams. Not a huge fan of him but I would do that deal just to dump the contract of Bels. Wild won't touch it though -- cup contender doesn't need a player not doing crap with a long bad contract.

tremha

Mar 9, 2011

we clearly signed him after an aberration season. His game requires grit and tenacity and those are off as is his confidence. he is not blessed with high level hockey skills or sense so must outwork and hope for good bounces.

Why not waive him and hope someone bites?

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
we clearly signed him after an aberration season. His game requires grit and tenacity and those are off as is his confidence. he is not blessed with high level hockey skills or sense so must outwork and hope for good bounces.

Why not waive him and hope someone bites?

Not a bad idea. Someone might jump on hm especially if some injuries pop up.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

'Nuff said.

That doesn't even begin to cover it, though. This was a MAJOR eff-up by Sweeney. We wasted a LOT of money and term on this guy and they were hoping he'd be a BIG part of our offense. Instead, he's a complete waste. Just think if we had a serviceable player making that money and locked up. If we don't make the playoffs this season, sadly, the acquisition of Beleskey, and all the bad dominoes that fell from that, will be a big reason.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That doesn't even begin to cover it, though. This was a MAJOR eff-up by Sweeney. We wasted a LOT of money and term on this guy and they were hoping he'd be a BIG part of our offense. Instead, he's a complete waste. Just think if we had a serviceable player making that money and locked up. If we don't make the playoffs this season, sadly, the acquisition of Beleskey, and all the bad dominoes that fell from that, will be a big reason.

I have to agree here- I am a Sweeney supporter for the most part, but you can't ignore the flubs and this is looking like a big one. I didn't mind the signing when it happened, and I'd even say that last season he didn't look so bad (though not worth the $ and term) but now it's just plain awful. Then I think of a possible scenario about how if we make a big deal this season or summer like a Landeskog or Shattenkirk and get pushed up against the cap and want to resign Ryan Spooner- we can't afford him because of what we are paying Beleskey.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm

I think it is a little early to chalk it up to a major eff up by Sweeney.

Beleskey played well last season. I think it is likely that he bounces back next year. I remember Hartnell went through a long stretch in Philly similar to Beleskey's issues this year where he couldn't handle the puck at all. It looked like Hartnell had regressed big time, but he bounced back nicely. Yes Hartnell is a better player than Beleskey but they are similar...and Beleskey does not have many NhL miles on him.

I think Sweeney viewed B as a winger that could play up and down the lineup like he did in Anaheim. Not that he would be a major part of the team's offense. He was UFA...and 3.8 million doesn't reflect 50+ pts as UFA.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think it is a little early to chalk it up to a major eff up by Sweeney.

Beleskey played well last season. I think it is likely that he bounces back next year. I remember Hartnell went through a long stretch in Philly similar to Beleskey's issues this year where he couldn't handle the puck at all. It looked like Hartnell had regressed big time, but he bounced back nicely. Yes Hartnell is a better player than Beleskey but they are similar...and Beleskey does not have many NhL miles on him.

I liked his game last year, still think that contract is too pricey but nothing I can do about it.

He had his best statistical year prior to signing on with Boston and he cashed in, same as I expect from Eaves this coming summer but two players like this have a history, and history tells us their production will tend to lean more towards where the player has been their entire career, not where they got to in one excellent season

I don`t know why I feel this way but I think the B`s are squeezing him out and in IMO, who, on this lineup right now is he capable of playing better than? He**, even Hayes is playing hockey that doesn` t upset my stomach

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Beleskey will rebound next year. This year was terrible. Seemed out of shape to start, then got saddled with a bad center iceman, then the injury. I love the idea of sitting him out and seeing what sort of pride he has to turn this around next year.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Beleskey will rebound next year. This year was terrible. Seemed out of shape to start, then got saddled with a bad center iceman, then the injury. I love the idea of sitting him out and seeing what sort of pride he has to turn this around next year.

He wasn`t right from the beginning of the season, possibly out of shape as you mentioned which, for me is a concern on it`s own

He`s not a guy I look to for 20-25 goals but his game was so putrid I didn`t even recognize the guy. He wasn`t doing any of those things I saw last year that I liked about his game.

I ask this, the B`s have some prospects who might be knocking heavily on the door next season, and right now, he`s a scratch, how long does a player suck it up and continue on before he has had enough and asks or allows the B`s to shop him?

I know it`s only been a few games and I expect him to play one of the games vs the Kings or Ducks but still, I`m not sure the B`s aren`t trying to push things along a bit with him as far as him asking out

but that`s just me, always trying to stir up BS:naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->