Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
unfortunately for Beleskey, he was lousy under Claude last season as well. Cassidy was obviously right and all of the results back that up.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I was a staunch defender of Beleskey his first year here.

From the start of his second season to present, however, he hasn't even been close to an NHL player. If he wants back into an NHL lineup, he's going to have to prove himself in another league sadly.

His work ethic and tenacity is what earned him a spot in an NHL lineup. As soon as that slipped (and sure, some injuries set in), he wasn't at all useful. Perhaps he will never get back, and that is sad, but I honestly think he has had more than a fair chance at this point.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Does anyone know what happened to him? Did he get hit with a puck, fist, or stick? Will he require surgery or time off? This is so tough for both him and the organization in that if he could regain his game and pace (unlikely, I know) maybe the B's would be able to move him at the TD. Now though, if he's out and can't play it bodes poorly for an in-season career comeback.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
man, it's crazy how far this guy fell. Contrary to the oft-repeated myth Beleskey was real good for the money in his first year here. I thought he'd go down to Providence and at least dominate against lesser competition but it's really looking like the guy is finished as an NHLer.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Does anyone know what happened to him? Did he get hit with a puck, fist, or stick? Will he require surgery or time off? This is so tough for both him and the organization in that if he could regain his game and pace (unlikely, I know) maybe the B's would be able to move him at the TD. Now though, if he's out and can't play it bodes poorly for an in-season career comeback.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Wow. The hits keep coming for this guy, what a year. Hope he's alright...
I feel bad for him. He got hit in the head by a Bergeron slapshot last year too, but that was on the side of his head and not his face. But neither would exactly be a pleasant experience. Hope this injury isn't as bad as it sounds.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think this was an obvious free agent trap with a guy hitting a career high in goals in a contract year, but I don't think anyone saw this coming. I remember when the deal was announced most people (myself included) were OK with it because of the relatively low cap hit. It's been a disaster ever since though.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think this was an obvious free agent trap with a guy hitting a career high in goals in a contract year, but I don't think anyone saw this coming. I remember when the deal was announced most people (myself included) were OK with it because of the relatively low cap hit. It's been a disaster ever since though.

I see the same thing happening with Riley Nash. He's a career ~25 point guy who's got 18 points in less than 40 games this year. He's having the best season of his career. He didn't even score at this pace in the minors, but I see folks talking about re-signing him. He'll be 29 when he signs his next contract and I really hope the B's learned from the Kelly and Beleskey contracts and wish him well on his next team.

With regard to nobody seeing the Beleskey signing as a bad move, I remember hearing a lot of people say he was fool's gold based on the analytics. I wasn't a big analytics guy at the time so I don't remember the metrics that were being used to make the case but I do remember a lot of people predicting that the team signing him would regret it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I see the same thing happening with Riley Nash. He's a career ~25 point guy who's got 18 points in less than 40 games this year. He's having the best season of his career. He didn't even score at this pace in the minors, but I see folks talking about re-signing him. He'll be 29 when he signs his next contract and I really hope the B's learned from the Kelly and Beleskey contracts and wish him well on his next team.

With regard to nobody seeing the Beleskey signing as a bad move, I remember hearing a lot of people say he was fool's gold based on the analytics. I wasn't a big analytics guy at the time so I don't remember the metrics that were being used to make the case but I do remember a lot of people predicting that the team signing him would regret it.
I re-sign Nash if the price is right, not a penny over 1.5mil IMO. I'm not sure he gets more than that on the market honestly.

He'd be nice insurance if JFK isn't ready next year and bumps down to the 4th line if he is.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

I think the Bruins ideally like to have a good mix of veterans and younger players, so it really depends on term and dollars with a guy like Nash. He very well may get a better deal elsewhere next season and I wouldn’t blame him if he does. That said, there are plenty of veterans that can fill that 3rd or 4th line role if needed. I’m not worried about what the B’s might do with Nash. Signing him to a 2 year deal would be a mistake, and that’s what he’ll likely get on the open market, so it’s likely they move on after this season.

Ron Quixote

Bring all the lovers to the fold...
Feb 15, 2007
The 'Ville - Bullitt County
Don't want him back even on short money/term.

Great season so far but he's easily replaced by the organization's depth.
I re-sign Nash if the price is right, not a penny over 1.5mil IMO. I'm not sure he gets more than that on the market honestly.

He'd be nice insurance if JFK isn't ready next year and bumps down to the 4th line if he is.

Reactions: PlayMakers

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

I'll admit I was happy with the Beleskey signing when it happened. As I recall, he was considered a pretty good free agent "prize" at the time of his signing - definitely one of the better targets when you exclude players who re-signed with their old teams.

That said, of course he's been disappointing, but I'm not sure the trap was that obvious at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

Reactions: JOKER 192

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'll admit I was happy with the Beleskey signing when it happened. As I recall, he was considered a pretty good free agent "prize" at the time of his signing - definitely one of the better targets when you exclude players who re-signed with their old teams.

That said, of course he's been disappointing, but I'm not sure the trap was that obvious at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

When the Bruins signed Beleskey I really didn't know what to think. After reading all the posts on these boards, on the day he was signed, I guess I was okay with it, I didn't know enough about Beleskey to have an opinion of my own so I feed off of what was being said on these boards.(most where in favor) I think the fact that he was signed at a lower amount than the "sticker price" convinced most that we had made a good deal. Hindsight has proven that we were all wrong. To some point I guess the red flags were all there but I don't think anyone could have guessed that he would fall off a cliff the way that he did. I think for the most part everyone was aware he could and probably would revert to the 25/30 point guy but I don't think anyone could foresee him becoming the black hole he became.

It's very unfortunate, both for him and the Bruins. He seems like a cool guy who himself doesn't understand WTF went wrong. Providence has exposed just how far he has fallen, a buyout seems like the only option for the Bruins at this point. Now with the latest developments, all hope , if there was any , is lost.

Good luck Matt , I wish you well.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Don't want him back even on short money/term.

Great season so far but he's easily replaced by the organization's depth.

This is exactly right. The last GM here ran afoul of the cap because of overvaluing guys like this. You know, players that are eminently replaceable. You do not give this guy a long term deal to play the bottom 6. You let him walk and find his replacement for a fraction of what Nash is going to want/get via free agency.

Reactions: iRONic™

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I saw it as a guy coming off a career year, and the only realistic thing for him to do was to fall back to earth. Looking at his shooting percentage alone said he would never duplicate that year.

Reactions: Strafer

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think the Bruins ideally like to have a good mix of veterans and younger players, so it really depends on term and dollars with a guy like Nash. He very well may get a better deal elsewhere next season and I wouldn’t blame him if he does. That said, there are plenty of veterans that can fill that 3rd or 4th line role if needed. I’m not worried about what the B’s might do with Nash. Signing him to a 2 year deal would be a mistake, and that’s what he’ll likely get on the open market, so it’s likely they move on after this season.
I don't think the mix will be spoiled if they drop one veteran forward.

Bergeron and Krejci are still your top2 anchors. Kuraly plays a responsible game and has been an excellent 4c (who has played 3c in the playoffs). Spooner is still in the mix as an option for 3c and while he has his shortcomings, he's proven he's an NHL player. You've also got JFK, Donato and Frederic who could all be vying for that 3c spot along with Spooner next year.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't think the mix will be spoiled if they drop one veteran forward.

Bergeron and Krejci are still your top2 anchors. Kuraly plays a responsible game and has been an excellent 4c (who has played 3c in the playoffs). Spooner is still in the mix as an option for 3c and while he has his shortcomings, he's proven he's an NHL player. You've also got JFK, Donato and Frederic who could all be vying for that 3c spot along with Spooner next year.

For sure. That veteran might be a second or third year home grown player. Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad