Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I see the same thing happening with Riley Nash. He's a career ~25 point guy who's got 18 points in less than 40 games this year. He's having the best season of his career. He didn't even score at this pace in the minors, but I see folks talking about re-signing him. He'll be 29 when he signs his next contract and I really hope the B's learned from the Kelly and Beleskey contracts and wish him well on his next team.

With regard to nobody seeing the Beleskey signing as a bad move, I remember hearing a lot of people say he was fool's gold based on the analytics. I wasn't a big analytics guy at the time so I don't remember the metrics that were being used to make the case but I do remember a lot of people predicting that the team signing him would regret it.

Agreed, but I'd be shocked if they bring Nash back. They know they have guys coming. JFK should be ready for the 3rd line C spot next year. Sweeney has had his ups and downs (mostly ups in my opinion) but I truly feel like he improves everyday as a GM, and realizes his errors so he wont make the same mistakes going forward.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think this was an obvious free agent trap with a guy hitting a career high in goals in a contract year, but I don't think anyone saw this coming. I remember when the deal was announced most people (myself included) were OK with it because of the relatively low cap hit. It's been a disaster ever since though.
except for that first year after the deal where he had a career year in points. Please, I beg you, especially since you're one of the more level-headed posters here: stop perpetuating the myth that Beleskey was only good in his contract year and the contract was bad from day 1. It was year 2 of the deal where he fell off.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I saw it as a guy coming off a career year, and the only realistic thing for him to do was to fall back to earth. Looking at his shooting percentage alone said he would never duplicate that year.
even if he was more of a 15 goal guy as opposed to a 20+ goal guy, if he played every year of the deal like his first year here then he would absolutely be worth the money which was basically on the high end of 3rd line money. Unfortunately the problem with him is he's a guy who needs top 6 talent on his line to produce. Actually play him like a 3rd liner & he disappears.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
even if he was more of a 15 goal guy as opposed to a 20+ goal guy, if he played every year of the deal like his first year here then he would absolutely be worth the money which was basically on the high end of 3rd line money. Unfortunately the problem with him is he's a guy who needs top 6 talent on his line to produce. Actually play him like a 3rd liner & he disappears.

Maybe, but regardless of what he did the first year, they signed him to perform like he did his last year in ANA. They thought they were getting a late bloomer instead of an oulier.

Reactions: TheReal13Linseman

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Glad he’s gone.

Questions for Dom or others in the known:

Beleskey cap hit is 3,8M. In the AHL, the Cap hit was about 2,8M. Now that the Bruins retain half of his Cap hit, will the # be 1,9M no matter what for the next two years? Or can they benefit if the Rangers put him in the AHL with a ~1,4M hit?

And what if the Rangers buy him ou next summer? Any impact on the Cap for the Bruins?

Reactions: Silva and Blowfish

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
I liked Matt as a person. As a player it just didn’t work out here. Wish it did for him and hope he can find his game again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad