Marc Bergevin to meet with media before Vancouver game - 5:15pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All Bergevin did when he drafted Galchenyuk was draft the best player available. It wasn't about centre needs -- it was about BPA.

Rielly & Forsberg were also considered best player available. Especially when you consider that Galchenyuk only played 2 regular season games and 6 playoff games in his draft year. It was a risk and we took him due to his potential ability as a future center. Heck we could of made a huge mistake and drafted Grigorenko as he was center that was rated very high as well.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
How did he almost sign with with Leafs or Habs when Stamkos re-signed with the Bolts before Free Agency even started.

I'm sure part of StevieY's plan was to sign Stamkos, and he did. Case closed.

I'm sure part of MB's plan was to sign Radulov, and he didn't make it happen.

He signed him after Montreal, Detroit and Toronto made pitches for his services lol

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Sergachev didn’t have the value of a Seth Jones because Bergevin traded him before he could gain that value.

Seth Jones was traded with 200 games played.

Nashville drafted him, developed him, grew his value, then traded for a need. An important need, a Center.

Bergevin drafted Sergachev. He didn’t grow his NHL value by developing him. He prematurely traded him, for a winger.

How can someone use the argument that Sergachev didn’t get the Habs a #1 Center, if Bergevin doesn’t put the necessary time into it.

If Sergachev can’t get you a Center today, and LHD is a major need, then you wait. It’s really that simple.

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
True, unfortunately, the trade was done last summer

That is my criticism of that trade, which was also my opinion back then. Not only that, but I had huge reservation regarding MB being able to secure Radulov. Therefore, it came out to me as a desperation move from day one, especially if we factor in the ethnicity. Not what I want to see from management.

Trade vets before they decline, even if it means giving up on one or two good seasons from them. Sure. Give up on blue-chippers before they even play 10 games in the NHL, while being one of the most coveted position. Please don't.

Sergachev, for me, was either going to replace Markov (or even Subban), or could be use to acquire the center we sorely lack. Now, he truned out to do neither.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He signed him after Montreal, Detroit and Toronto made pitches for his services lol
So what, he still signed with Tampa before ever hitting Free Agency. He could not sign with other teams until actually being a Free Agent.

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
Danault is one I'm surprised you can't think of this. 23 top 100 picks (ranks 4th) and possibly 6 or 7 more top 100 picks in the next draft is a big deal. This is how you get out of the terrible 2008-2011 draft years. It takes time.

Like I said, This debate has been done and nobody wins in the end. Were you around then? If so, do you remember? Your are the curious one... how about you list 5 positives and 5 negatives. Stick your neck out if you are curious. See where it leads you
curious, since 2012 (when bergevin came in) how many of his drafted players are making a positive impact on this team? how many would you consider top tier players

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

Are you actually suggesting that Yzerman should have prevented him listening to pitches, and that failing to do so reflects poorly on him?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Are you actually suggesting that Yzerman should have prevented him listening to pitches, and that failing to do so reflects poorly on him?
No you don't understand, it's Yzerman's fault for almost losing Stamkos despite still signing him before he ever was a Free Agent and it was Radulov's fault that MB failed to re-sign him.

Yzerman failed for almost losing Stamkos, MB succeeded in actually losing Radulov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How did he almost sign with with Leafs or Habs when Stamkos re-signed with the Bolts before Free Agency even started.

I'm sure part of StevieY's plan was to sign Stamkos, and he did. Case closed.

I'm sure part of MB's plan was to sign Radulov, and he didn't make it happen.

Stamkos could of easily got more than $8.5M as a UFA but his clear pay after taxes in the state of Florida is $5.3M. In order for the Leafs or Habs to match that clear pay, we would of had to give him around $11M and Yzerman knew this. He played that card very well. Yzerman is a very smart man but he does have an advantage of inherited a very good core and city where the taxes are very low compared to other cities. Hedman at $7.9M is another example.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No you don't understand, it's Yzerman's fault for almost losing Stamkos despite still signing him before he ever was a Free Agent and it was Radulov's fault that MB failed to re-sign him.

Yzerman failed for almost losing Stamkos, MB succeeded in actually losing Radulov.

But what about Arizona?

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Stamkos could of easily got more than $8.5M as a UFA but his clear pay after taxes in the state of Florida is $5.3M. In order for the Leafs or Habs to match that clear pay, we would of had to give him around $11M and Yzerman knew this. He played that card very well. Yzerman is a very smart man but he does have an advantage of inherited a very good core and city where the taxes are very low compared to other cities. Hedman at $7.9M is another example.
Why isn't everyone signing in Tampa and Florida then? These tax excuses are BS. Allen Walsh even called out everyone using this excuse this summer because the tax issue is easy to get around to even the playing field.

Why didn't the Habs have to overpay Pacioretty and Gallagher because of taxes yet had to overpay Price?

It's not only a bullshit excuse, it's intellectually dishonest.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So what, he still signed with Tampa before ever hitting Free Agency. He could not sign with other teams until actually being a Free Agent.
So what...lol....until it's our prized possession that makes it to 1 day before free agency and has discussions with 5 other teams.

Fact is, Stamkos camp had discussions with other teams,thats the point ANDY......

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
So what...lol....until it's our prized possession that makes it to 1 day before free agency and has discussions with 5 other teams.

Fact is, Stamkos camp had discussions with other teams,thats the point ANDY......
So what? He is still with Tampa and never actually hit Free Agency. Meanwhile the Habs lost their best forward to Free Agency.

Your point isn't even a point, you're arguing for the sake of.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
So what you're saying is the player controls his destiny.....like let's sayyyyyy, Radulov!

Good on Bergevin for allowing Radulov to speak freely....nope, haven't heard that comment once last summer.

And oh ya, Yzerman had a hard number for Stamkos....difference is Stamkos felt a loyalty to Tampa.....Radulov, not so much

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So what you're saying is the player controls his destiny.....like let's sayyyyyy, Radulov!

Good on Bergevin for allowing Radulov to speak freely....nope, haven't heard that comment once last summer.

And oh ya, Yzerman had a hard number for Stamkos....difference is Stamkos felt a loyalty to Tampa.....Radulov, not so much

I must have missed the part where Yzerman questioned Stamkos' loyalty openly.

Reactions: Tighthead

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Maybe MB shouldn't make take it or leave it press conferences and compare his players to Dogs. Maybe then Radulov would have been loyal.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why isn't everyone signing in Tampa and Florida then? These tax excuses are BS. Allen Walsh even called out everyone using this excuse this summer because the tax issue is easy to get around to even the playing field.

BS! So Stamkos and Hedman were dumb and fell into Yzerman's brilliance eh. They both signed deals that they could of got way more on the open market and taxes had nothing to do with it eh. Accountants in Montreal or Toronto are not the same as accountants in Florida eh. The same investment strategies can't be taken advantage of in each and every city right? Wait, there is the Canadian Dollar and being paid in US dollars.. those players spend 100% of their clear take home money each and every year.

There are many factors but not are as big as taxes.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Correct. We agree. Some people think we drafted Galchenyuk and he was not a potential center back in 2012. Clearly they are using hindsight evaluation. I do agree that we mismanaged Galchenyuk. We drafted him as our potential #1C but he has not played a full season as a #1C after 6 seasons. It's ridiculous.
So if we mismanaged him and he could be our answer at center... and we still don't have a number one center. And we're playing Drouin in the wrong position.... and our D sucks.

Why the hell should this GM have a job?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I must have missed the part where Yzerman questioned Stamkos' loyalty openly.
I'm missing the point of this whole discussion in general. It's complete stupidity.

Yzerman almost fails for signing Stamkos before actually becoming a Free Agent, but MB is blameless for letting his most talented player since Kovalev walk.

This is such a stupid conversation.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

So now your argument is that it is entireLy the player, and the GM is essentially useless in the process. This isn’t the first time we have reached the pathetic “MB couldn’t OF (TLTQ) done anything anyway” point.

You still have suggested twice that Stamkos talking to other teams puts Yzerman in the same camp as Bergevin.

A GM is to be commended for allowing a grown man to speak freely when he can do SFA to prevent it. Wow.

Keep digging.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So if we mismanaged him and he could be our answer at center... and we still don't have a number one center. And we're playing Drouin in the wrong position.... and our D sucks.

Why the hell should this GM have a job?

It's a good question that we will find out very soon.... our GM is on a very thin thread. I'm just happy he is on record saying he will not mortgage the future for short term success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad