Marc Bergevin to meet with media before Vancouver game - 5:15pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Drouin will hurt as bad as Gomez.... that is the comeback we get. What a joke! They are running out of excuses and it's getting hilarious.
Well, somebody's running out of excuses...

As for Drouin/Sergachev, I'll never consider it as bad as the Gomez deal because we knew what we were getting when we traded for Gomez and gave up our best prospect. At least in this case it was for a younger player.

All that being said, it could work out to be as bad or worse. It certainly hasn't started off well.

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
It is a nice one liner. I am allowed them from time to time right? How about you talk about the Gomez vs Drouin trades? Where do you stand on it?

So you "work" with a lot of high profile accountants so that makes you an expert over me? How about my experience with working with accountants that handle a multi million dollar pension at my office where I work with? I know nothing cause you know everything? I never had this conversation with an actual accountant right?

Well, you edited since I quoted, but I didn't say that. I said that both of you are surely missing quite a bit of knowledge on the subject, so it would be better to lose the condescending tone. Both side. I am far from being a pro, all I was saying is that those are subjects that can't be ''dumbed down'' or ''over-simplefied'' in this manner.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well, somebody's running out of excuses...

As for Drouin/Sergachev, I'll never consider it as bad as the Gomez deal because we knew what we were getting when we traded for Gomez and gave up our best prospect. At least in this case it was for a younger player.

All that being said, it could work out to be as bad or worse. It certainly hasn't started off well.

OMG... Drouin vs Gomes is a not a good comparison. Different age, different $/term, and different kind of trade.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
OMG... Drouin vs Gomes is a not a good comparison. Different age, different $/term, and different kind of trade.
Yes, they are different kinds of trades, I made a point of mentioning that.

At the end of the day though the end result could wind up being similar.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
What you call circumstances were simply bad decisions which we didn't even need hindsight to know they were bad.

In 2012-2013 Galchenyuk played 14 out of the first 15 games as center. This was the moment Therrien decided Galchenyuk wasn't ready to be center and almost permanently moved him to wing.

The production of our centers at that time was
Plekanec: 13 points playing mostly with Gionta & Bourque
Galchenyuk: 9 points playing mostly with Gallagher & Prust
Desharnais: 7 points playing mostly with Pacioretty & Cole
Eller: 6 points playing mostly with Moen and Armstrong

We were a more complete team with Galchenyuk on the wing. The improvement from Galchenyuk to center over Desharnais would be lost by whoever replaced Galchenyuk as a 2LW. In my opinion of course. I wish it wasn't the case but it was. I'm not trying to defend it. I'm really not because more complete or not, we weren't good enough to win. We should have accepted that we weren't good enough and continued the rebuild.(edit: With Galchenyuk at Center) My point was rationalizing why I believe Galchenyuk was drafted to be a center and how it got kiboshed, in my opinion erroneously.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ah no....losing sergachev will hurt as much as losing Mcdonagh.

I agree if Drouin turns into Gomez. Possible but not probable IMO. We traded a pretty good darn defenseman but we got a pretty good forward in the process as well. A forward that is just touching his prime years and we have him trying to learn how to play center in the NHL.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Anything is possible. Price can turn into Theodore I guess.
But we have good evidence that this isn't the case.

On the flipside we've got a guy who's 23 years old and doing absolutely nothing for us while the guy we traded for him could well be on his way to a Calder trophy.

Reactions: Habs178

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Well, you edited since I quoted, but I didn't say that. I said that both of you are surely missing quite a bit of knowledge on the subject, so it would be better to lose the condescending tone. Both side. I am far from being a pro, all I was saying is that those are subjects that can't be ''dumbed down'' or ''over-simplefied'' in this manner.

My point was that a google search does not give one the advanced knowledge of a tax professional. I think I was acknowledging my lack of expertise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

On the flipside we've got a guy who's 23 years old and doing absolutely nothing for us while the guy we traded for him could well be on his way to a Calder trophy.

Evidence in a half a season. It's a premature evaluation based on teams trending in opposite directions. Each teams play have no factor in the players production right?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Sergachev would be busting in Montreal.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Evidence in a half a season. It's a premature evaluation based on teams trending in opposite directions. Each teams play have no factor in the players production right?
I'm not making a final verdict, it's early days. But it sure as hell doesn't look good right now and I wouldn't write off the possibility that this is going to turn into a rip off. It's certainly looking that way.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
It that was your point, then say it. Keep Drouin out of it and don't compare him to Gomez?

I never compared him to Gomez, you did. I made sure to add Drouin was better so somebody didn’t come out and do exactly what you did and try and make it a Gomez vs Drouin debate. But since you seem to want to talk about so badly, how many 59 point seasons do you think Drouin will have as a center?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never compared him to Gomez, you did. I made sure to add Drouin was better so somebody didn’t come out and do exactly what you did and try and make it a Gomez vs Drouin debate. But since you seem to want to talk about so badly, how many 59 point seasons do you think Drouin will have as a center?

My apologies if you feel offended but in the end you did make it a Gomez vs Drouin debate. You say Sergachev might hurt as much as Mcdonagh but this only is the case if Drouin falls hard like Gomez right? If Drouin is a future 60 pts +/- for the Habs for multiple seasons, it can't hurt like the McDonagh trade cause Gomez fell pretty hard and fast

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I've read a lot of this thread and I'm surprised to see that certain people still defend Bergevin. I did believe in him, I thought he was the guy who could turn this around.

Lets forget about how he's failed miserably at drafting and just analyze the actual lineup. That LHD squad is BY FAR the worst in the entire NHL, it's laughable. How can someone honestly look at Alzner and defend that signing?

Our center ice position is also the weakest in the entire NHL. The only centerman he added was Danault... Drouin is NOT a center, he's constantly the last player back in the D zone, it's done, put him on the wing.

But what I find the most baffling is the way he built the team, let me elaborate. Our D corps is built like the Kings, basically, they're designed to get the puck deep and our wingers would win 1 on 1 battles. The thing is.... We have the smallest wingers in the entire NHL! Even if Markov is slower than most of our D, he allows our smaller wingers to enter the offensive zone with speed which is how this team was built! By giving Alzner that contract, I realized that he has no idea how the team he designed himself, would be successful. This explains the lack of goal production, small forwards need neutral zone speed which starts from a good first pass, something we don't have because our GM doesn't even understand his own team.

Ok, I know, it's hard but it's your damn job. Whether you do it by drafting well (you've failed miserably!) or by trade (you've failed miserably!) You need to get the job done. You haven't, you deserved to get fired. If I don't do my job, I will get fired, it's that easy.

Anyway, this was my monthly venting lol

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
My point was that a google search does not give one the advanced knowledge of a tax professional. I think I was acknowledging my lack of expertise.

Yeah, I know. There is quite a lot of context missing around those parts. That's HF now, black and white, no room for humility and even when one tries to show some, it is misinterpreted.

I swear, schools better start finding ways to teach ''internet conversational etiquette'' and I include myself in that. Technology is a double edge sword.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I did reply. You can read it.

I didn’t attack the credibility of the site. I attacked the thoroughness of your argument and I maintain that your knowledge is far short of an expert and of little to no value.

Allan Walsh, who is a player agent, is definitely not credible enough on this topic.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Relax. First, I never said that I know more. It also surely doesn't go against my ''beliefs''. This is tax related, not religious. I am not further engaging in the specifics exactly for that reason, that I am not an expert. I should have specified that working with those accountants made me realized that I am not qualify to fully assess this particular issue, but from what I have been explained is that the margin, even if real, is much less than what people using that excuse make it out to be.

That's all.

You stepped into a debate between two people and claimed that you have authority based on working with high profile accountants. Glad to see you are taking a step back from this original stance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad