Marc Bergevin to meet with media before Vancouver game - 5:15pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It is really not a ''controversial'' or ''out-of-the-box'' stance. Building through C means trying to draft, trade for, or by any other means acquire potential top 6 centers. As many as you can. Putting all your eggs in one basket is setting yourself up for failure and certainly does not strike me as a high priority.

If one potential top 6 C is your answer to what would be your plan (building from the C out), well, good luck with that. Especially when it is at the very least debatable if the team actually needs two top 6 centers. Wouldn't you say so?

Add to that, as you said, management setting Chucky himself for failure through poor development.

- We did draft a potential #1C back in 2012. Galchenyuk. We drafted other centers since then but none has developed into a top 6 center. Poehling or the dark horse Evans are our only hope at this stage

- We traded for Danault. He is a fringe #2C and it's anybodies guess if he will stay at the current level or continue to improve.

- We didn't have much to trade with when RyJo, Carter, ROR, Spezza, Seguin were made available. A bad prospect pool from 2008-2011 will do that. Someone mentioned Schenn and that is legit... 28 other NHL GM's would love a crack at a re-do based on this year's production.

We are trying to address the center position. Maybe we should of drafted L Brown instead of Sergachev? It's the forever better player vs best available debate. We are likely going to face this again in the next draft depending on our position

We have plenty of excuses and it's also reality. We simply need more top 10 picks. 2 top 10 picks in 10 years is not good enough.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Told you before.... I will make my decision after the off season. That is where we will see our true direction. One season after a bad off season don't dictate everything. I want to see what our next moves are. If we keep our roster the same and don't take a few steps back, then I will cut ties with our GM.

It's been five bad offseasons. Not one.

Reactions: Habs178

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think the plan was originally to use Galchenyuk as a center but a number of circumstances changed that for the worse.

1) - The lockout: If half the NHL season doesn't get locked out than I have my doubts that Galchenyuk would have made the team. He'd have another full season developing at center with Sarnia. Hindsight probably tells us that would have been a better path to a full time center position.

2) - Winning the division in 2012-13: It created expectations. We all of a sudden went from a team that was rebuilding to a team that was on the brink of success. We were Canada's next cup. We have a Norris winner in Subban. We had an elite scorer in Pacioretty. We had top 6 centers in Plekanec and Desharnais.

3) - Conferance Finals in 2013-14: Coming into the season we were favorites. But we had holes on the wing. Desharnais wasn't suited for the wing and we weren't moving Pleks. In Desharnais' defence, he had a good year. So we kept Galchenyuk on the wing for another year. Short term we were probably best suited for him to be on the wing. Our success' and the expectations that they created became our worst enemy. We have a bad regular season, hope that maybe there will be some change... and Boom, we get hot in the playoffs. Conferance Final run. And the vicious cycle continues.

4) - Another Division Title 2014-15 (le sigh) : Again we are Canada's hope. Experts are predicting we are going to have a legit shot. And we actually look like it. Pretty convincing season. We need Galchenyuk's offence, but our best top 6 has him on the wing still. Desharnais is productive. Plekanec is productive. Again, his conversion to center gets delayed. Again in the short term it probably is for the best. Again it doesn't get us anywhere.

So here we are today. Hindsight wishes we just put Galchenyuk to center. Circumstances kept him on the wing. I 100% believe that had we missed the playoffs again post lockout, had Galchenyuk played a full season in Sarnia, had we gone into that 2013-14 season still "rebuilding" that Galchenyuk would have come into the league and played center right away. Unfortunately the pressure of the teams success and expectations got the better of the team. We entered a win now mode and we are feeling it now.

So do I think that the team drafted him to be a Center? Absolutely. But I think with all the successes the team was having, they just got too comfortable with him on the wing. Took their minds off the long term for a minute and now we are feeling it.
A couple of things wrong here though.

1. Galchenyuk wasn't playing at centre in Sarnia. He was on the wing. So I'm not sure he develops as a centre in Sarnia if the lockout lasts the year since he wasn't playing centre.

2. 2014-2015 was not a good year. Standings wise it was, but that team played terrible for most of the year and were saved by Price's heroic performance. They barely looked like a playoff team and won the division. This is where the holes in the team became incredibly apparent and the team started its downward slope. On a team that couldnt score a goal, MB thought it was appropriate to get two buffalo rejects in Mitchell and Flynn at the deadline as help.

3. 2013-2014 Desharnais had 1 point in his first 19 games and the Habs still refused to try other options at centre and stuck with him no matter what. He ended up picking up the pace by season's end, but he was such a liability at centre and held the team back. If there was a time to put Galchenyuk at centre, it was those first 19 games. Circumstances didn't keep Galchenyuk on the wing, coaching staff and management did.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bergevin's only redeeming characteristics as a GM are his looks and his charisma. He's done a great job of managing the media, a nerdy type like Gauthier or an Anglo like Gainey would have been fired a long time ago. Neither of them got this much rope.

That said looks and charisma are very valuable. It provides room for manouver and it allowed him to take risks early on if he wanted. Almost everybody gave him the benefit of the doubt, some still support him.

Does anybody actually think that Bergevin's defenders would still support him if he were bald and an ectomorph? No, of course not. They would evaluate his moves differently without the halo effect of good looks inspiring them to follow.

In terms of his actual administration, Bergevin has done nothing right. Contracts have been bad as have trades, drafting, development, and hiring.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
2013: 1st in Northeast, 1st Round exit
2014: 3rd in Atlantic, 3rd Round exit
2015: 1st in Atlantic, 2nd Round exit
2016: 6th in Atlantic, no playoffs
2017: 1st in Atlantic, 1st Round exit
2018: Currently 6th in Atlantic, no playoffs likely

How does anyone look at this and say he's done a good job? Is anyone just banking on the pattern and hoping 2018-2019 will be 1st in the division because 2017, 2015, and 2013 were?

And ToLegitToMakeSense keeps saying he has only had one bad offseason. Euh what? The dude knew he had a terrible offense from the 2013-2014 season and his acquisitions have went from Briere to Parenteau to Semin to Fleischman. Amazing. His only good free agent move was bring in Radulov which he let go after only one season.

We had a contender with the great young core of 2013 but instead of adding to it, he added scrubs and grinders.

Fantastic GM ladies and gentlemen.

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
- We did draft a potential #1C back in 2012. Galchenyuk. We drafted other centers since then but none has developed into a top 6 center. Poehling or the dark horse Evans are our only hope at this stage

- We traded for Danault. He is a fringe #2C and it's anybodies guess if he will stay at the current level or continue to improve.

- We didn't have much to trade with when RyJo, Carter, ROR, Spezza, Seguin were made available. A bad prospect pool from 2008-2011 will do that. Someone mentioned Schenn and that is legit... 28 other NHL GM's would love a crack at a re-do based on this year's production.

We are trying to address the center position. Maybe we should of drafted L Brown instead of Sergachev? It's the forever better player vs best available debate. We are likely going to face this again in the next draft depending on our position

Simple idea here: why not hold on to Sergachev and maybe trade him ''à la'' Jones VS Ryjo? Or is it that we absolutely needed a winger, easiest position to fill and actually a position of strenght for MTL?

Danault is not a 2C on a contender team, my opinion. If MB would believe that he absolutely need a #1C to win, he would have use his biggest trade chip to try and acquire one instead of doing side way moves or acquiring wingers.

That is still just Danault and Chucky, if we go by your standard with Danault being a 2C.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I don’t understand what he meant by “there’s no short term answers.”

He was brought it 6 years ago to answer questions about the team. 6 years later he goes out to say there’s no short term answers??

He failed to evaluate players. Drafted a guy who would be a Center then tell people he’s a winger. Go out trades our top prospects for what he said is a number one Center. After yesterday he tells the media in a perfect world Drouin would be a winger if we have a number one Center. Ok?

He also said he tried to sign the players referring to Radulov and Markov. Said it was out of his control that they left? He’s the freaking GM. Stop excuses please. He is the GM he makes the offers. If Radulov or Markov wants more money Bergervin could have said yes and sign them. But he said no. Now he blames the players for leaving????

When will this guy ever take responsibility. He’s the GM. He’s the captain that stear the ship. The question is he doesn’t know which direction to go.

What a lame GM. Lack of responsibility GM.

Ironically he lacks character. Lol

Reactions: BLONG7

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Simple idea here: why not hold on to Sergachev and maybe trade him ''à la'' Jones VS Ryjo? Or is it that we absolutely needed a winger, easiest position to fill and actually a position of strenght for MTL?

Danault is not a 2C on a contender team, my opinion. If MB would believe that he absolutely need a #1C to win, he would have use his biggest trade chip to try and acquire one instead of doing side way moves or acquiring wingers.

That is still just Danault and Chucky, if we go by your standard with Danault being a 2C.
It was simply that, if Drouin worked out, he would have been the hometown hero and Bergevin would be celebrated for his decision.

It was an ego trade. A shot in the dark. A Hail Mary.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

How often does a RyJo type become available? We also have to consider that the Preds took a risk... RyJo was 2 years away from being a potential UFA. They were able to resign him but they also have the luxury of being in a city with less taxes vs the Habs. Many try to squash the tax issue but it's real. It's a real disadvantage

The Sergachev for Drouin trade was reprieved as a positive one back in the summer. Boy the narrative changes quick. One guy is playing on a stacked team while the other guy is being tried at center on a struggling team. I think we are a bit premature on this trade evaluation.

Poehling is a good bet to be a middle 6 center. He has the size/skill/skating/grit you look for. We have to wait till he is age 20 or 21 before he can be of use to us. That is 2 or 3 years away so it's best we retool and go with youth. Don't care what GM gets us on this path... Bergevin or not Bergevin. I support a youth movement with Price/Weber leading us.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Galchenyuk was drafted as our potential #1C. That's what prospects are until you realize what their true potential is after they are drafted. It was not a bad plan back in 2012. We drafted the best potential to be our #1C.

Here is a snap shot at Sportsnet top prospects heading into the draft.... It not foolish to think that Galchenyuk was a potential center. He was listed as one ;)

UHakusy.jpg

That scouting report was written after the 2011-12 season. A season where he played limited games, and 1 season removed from 2010-11, where he played the majority of the year as a center. I stated this. I did not say he never played center. He didn't in minor midget, he did in 1 full season, then a partial season, then was moved back to the wing for almost the entire 2012-13 season.

You stated they drafted him with the intent of having him be our #1C and then building the team around him. I'm saying they drafted him as he was the best player at 3rd overall and hoped he could one day fill in as our #1C. Your statement was based on the ignorant fans and idiot media who didn't know what his natural position was; mine was based on the fact that Bergevin probably wasn't a big enough of an idiot to base his position assessment on a sportsnet scouting report.

You will find no quote where Bergevin states that he knows for certain Galchenyuk was his future star center or that every move he'd make would be built around him. All he ever said was that they hoped he would be.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Sergachev did not have the value that Seth Jones had, not even close

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm really curious as to what you think Bergevin's good moves are. Please share because apart from Byron, I can't think of any off the top of my head. Just name like 5 or so.

Danault is one I'm surprised you can't think of this. 23 top 100 picks (ranks 4th) and possibly 6 or 7 more top 100 picks in the next draft is a big deal. This is how you get out of the terrible 2008-2011 draft years. It takes time.

Like I said, This debate has been done and nobody wins in the end. Were you around then? If so, do you remember? Your are the curious one... how about you list 5 positives and 5 negatives. Stick your neck out if you are curious. See where it leads you

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
And yet Yzerman traded a nearly established #1/2 LW with star potential to get him. Weird how investing in better/non ethnically sourced scouts makes different managerial decisions.

Yzerman almost lost Stamkos to the Leafs or HABS.......but I'm sure that was part of the plan lol

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
The whole "Galchenyuk is our future #1C" was a narrative spoken by ignorant fans who didn't know the actual position he played, not the Habs' development model.

He was drafted as a C and Bergevin LITERALLY stated on the draft floor that he was excited because he thinks he just drafted a future #1C. Revisionist history is dumb enough without video evidence to eviscerate your premise.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
He's had a handful of decent ones.

Diaz for Weise
Collberg + for Vanek
Picks for Petry
Weise and Fleishmann for Danault

All those do add great depth, the problem is (besides Vanek), most of those players have played in roles they are not suited for (top 2 and top 6)

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
Yzerman almost lost Stamkos to the Leafs or HABS.......but I'm sure that was part of the plan.

He almost lost him be negotiating until June 31st and finally hammered a deal? Or was it when McGuire reported on multiple occasions how Stamkos had no intention of leaving Tampa? Or was it when he literally said in multiple interviews how he'd like to stay in Tampa?

Also, when were the Habs EVER considered a destination for him? Lies, lies and more lies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tighthead

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yzerman almost lost Stamkos to the Leafs or HABS.......but I'm sure that was part of the plan lol
How did he almost sign with with Leafs or Habs when Stamkos re-signed with the Bolts before Free Agency even started.

I'm sure part of StevieY's plan was to sign Stamkos, and he did. Case closed.

I'm sure part of MB's plan was to sign Radulov, and he didn't make it happen.

Reactions: Puck Luck Run Amok
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad