Proposal: Making a Hockey Trade

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
For the folks that keep throwing out these trade scenarios, what cap space are they magically using to fit an actual impact player on this roster? The 2mill and change they have in space isn't enough, so who goes to open up more space and what holes does that create?

This is why you don't burn all your cap money on bottom 6 garbage, third pairing defensemen, and goalies you think are going to suddenly become the next incarnation of Georges Vezina despite his entire track record screaming no he's not. It's f***ing moronic.

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
For the folks that keep throwing out these trade scenarios, what cap space are they magically using to fit an actual impact player on this roster? The 2mill and change they have in space isn't enough, so who goes to open up more space and what holes does that create?

This is why you don't burn all your cap money on bottom 6 garbage, third pairing defensemen, and goalies you think are going to suddenly become the next incarnation of Georges Vezina despite his entire track record screaming no he's not. It's f***ing moronic.
They will have 11 mill at the deadline so there is the cap space you are looking for. Also I fully expect Debrusk to be part of any trade so there is another 3 mill.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
They will have 11 mill at the deadline so there is the cap space you are looking for. Also I fully expect Debrusk to be part of any trade so there is another 3 mill.

Okay, so Debrusk is trash and someone you want to move, but he's going to fetch a difference maker in return? Again, they don't have young players anyone wants. So what, picks and castoffs will fill that hole at 2C??? I don't see it. And where is the $11mill at the deadline coming from?

This is why you don't go into the season willingly with a gaping hole in a key spot. The time to have filled it was in the off season, and with UFAs that would have actually been a fit for the spot they needed, instead of bottom feeders and this by committee bullshit.

Reactions: Gordoff

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
Okay, so Debrusk is trash and someone you want to move, but he's going to fetch a difference maker in return? Again, they don't have young players anyone wants. So what, picks and castoffs will fill that hole at 2C??? I don't see it. And where is the $11mill at the deadline coming from?

This is why you don't go into the season willingly with a gaping hole in a key spot. The time to have filled it was in the off season, and with UFAs that would have actually been a fit for the spot they needed, instead of bottom feeders and this by committee bullshit.
It comes from the build up over the season. It's why you will see a lot of paper moves throughout the season that help accrue cap space. Dom would be able to explain it better than me. As for Debrusk, I don't think is trash but is the roster player that is most likely to be moved. As for young players I think they do have some that will interest teams. Some names would be Lysell, Lohrei, Harrison, Kuntar, Schmaltz, Lauko, and Beecher.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
The GM didn't know until the last minute if Krejci was staying or not - despite being in the org for so long and the B's being his only franchise. The GM doesn't know if Bergeron is going to retire after this year - despite being in the org for 18 years straight and the C. The GM hasn't had the balls to say they are moving on from Rask despite signing a new n°1 for 4 years at 5M and choosing Swayman as the backup. The GM went on the record saying it would be "Center by Committee" and that he would let the young D play with Chara leaving. They young D are still nowhere to be found 18 months later.... the committee approach is giving typical committee returns - low risk, zero reward.

He has done some good things and yes the team has generally performed in W/L on the Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Pasta, Chara, McAvoy, Rask core. Only 2 of which aren't from before 2010.

To make a hockey trade you need to know what you are building to. Does Sweeney even know? If Bergeron stays, it's a totally different build than if he walks. If he walks you need to deal him at the deadline with Marchand and go full rebuild as they are nowhere near competing without him on the roster. If he stays, you need to add and go for one last kick at the can the next 24 months.

Assuming Bergeron is staying for another 2 years. Only key asset they have to trade for an elite positional player swap is Pasta. W for C.

Something like Horvat + 1st for Pasta and a salary dump like Moore.
Then move out DeBrusk and Reilly as a package for a #3 LD like Theodore in LV.
Then Studnika, 1st for Hertl.

Marchand-Bergeron-Foligno
Hall-Horvat-Smith
Haula-Coyle-Hertl
Nosek-Frederic-Lazar

Theo-McAvoy
Grzy-Carlo
Forbort-Clifton

If Bergeron is walking, I hate to say it but he needs to be traded at the deadline for a 1st ++ and then you need to move Marchand for a top flight C. Keep Pasta in that case but still unload Debrusk and Reilly.

Hall-Coyle-Pasta
bottom 9 by committee...
in this day and age where anyone in the entertainment industry like sports is, they sneeze and everyone knows, I`m one who won`t give DS any grief over the DK situation, I haven`t heard one report from anyone with credibility who stated that DK notified the B`s well in advance

and you spoke about not knowing about the Bergeron contract situation for next season, here` s a quote from #37 himself

“That’s something that a lot of people have asked me this summer," Bergeron told reporters. "I think for me, the way that I approach this year is I want to concentrate on this year. I have a year left on my contract. I think that it would be useless for me to think about the future.

Patrice Bergeron addresses contract situation ahead of 18th season

That sound like the GM should know without hesitation what Bergy`s plans are?

I`ll hammer DS for things I believe he has messed up on but the two situations I spoke of aren`t those IMO

Reactions: pearljamvs5

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It comes from the build up over the season. It's why you will see a lot of paper moves throughout the season that help accrue cap space. Dom would be able to explain it better than me. As for Debrusk, I don't think is trash but is the roster player that is most likely to be moved. As for young players I think they do have some that will interest teams. Some names would be Lysell, Lohrei, Harrison, Kuntar, Schmaltz, Lauko, and Beecher.

You're talking about cap space accrual, and it's far more complicated and based on a daily cap hit vs overall number. And if the player they trade for has term beyond this season, it f***s the cap up for the following season because you start each year with no accrual. So again, you can do it, but it's literally trading one issue for another one that's just slightly further down the road. That doesn't even factor in bonus money, which again, complicates things even more.

As for the prospects you mention, none other than Lysell are high end guys that will draw interest enough to return what you're expecting.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
2022 TDL:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Hall-Hertl-Rakell
Foligno-Coyle-Smith
Nosek-Haula-Lazar

Forbort-McAvoy
Grzelcyk-Carlo
Reilly-Lauzon

Rask
Swayman

SJ: Hertl
BOS: Studnicka, Ullmark(waives his NMC), 2022 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick

ANA: Rakell
BOS: Lysell, DeBrusk, Frederic, 2023 1st round pick,

SEA: Lauzon
BOS: 2022 2nd round pick

Stanley Cup Champions :naughty:
Overpays for Hertl and Rakell, not trading the 1st or Lysell. I am okay dealing Stud, Frederic, Steen prospects like that and roster guys DeBrusk, Grizz etc. No way Rakell is worth that much, he is not Forsberg.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

I think they were really banking on DK coming back, that or thinking Coyle or Haula could fill that spot. So far Coyle has been moved too much to be able to tell, Haula hasn't looked good offensively and Stud is apparently in the doghouse for 11 minutes every game. We have the pieces I honestly think it's the coach. The hole that should be filled first is the top paring LHD, then #2RW then #2C.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think they were really banking on DK coming back, that or thinking Coyle or Haula could fill that spot. So far Coyle has been moved too much to be able to tell, Haula hasn't looked good offensively and Stud is apparently in the doghouse for 11 minutes every game. We have the pieces I honestly think it's the coach. The hole that should be filled first is the top paring LHD, then #2RW then #2C.

I disagree its the coach. I look at this roster and the collection of bottom end, low end players and see a complete lack of talent outside the top line, Hall, and McAvoy. After those 5 guys it drops off a f***ing cliff fast. No coaching is going to make 4th liners passable second line players.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
I disagree its the coach. I look at this roster and the collection of bottom end, low end players and see a complete lack of talent outside the top line, Hall, and McAvoy. After those 5 guys it drops off a f***ing cliff fast. No coaching is going to make 4th liners passable second line players.

It's hard to me to agree when I see how Kulhman has been used on this team. He's a great energy guy on the 4th, but has been used higher than that more often than not. DeBrusk, Haula and Foglino should be getting more chances they are all good players with a combined 2-3 goals (I know Nick was injured). Stud to me is the big issue, he's so scared to get benched he can't let loose like he was in the preseason. With the offseason and preseason he had, he should be on opening night roster in the top 9.

Riley is the only thing I didn't agree with this year which isn't on the coach but he should have had a word on bringing him back over them trying a kid or going for a bigger fish. Team isn't great but I think it's better than the record shows

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Overpays for Hertl and Rakell, not trading the 1st or Lysell. I am okay dealing Stud, Frederic, Steen prospects like that and roster guys DeBrusk, Grizz etc. No way Rakell is worth that much, he is not Forsberg.
That’s the price you pay at the deadline. Lysell is added due to the fact that we can’t give up this years 1st for Rakell. DeBrusk and Frederic are mostly just to make the cap work for both teams.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
11 games in, this club is up and down.

The sample size is limited, but they've clearly had some success against weaker teams while struggling against stronger clubs.

One interesting thing to consider is that with the modified schedule last season, this Bruins team did not play games against Tampa, Carolina, Toronto, and Florida.

So, whats the answer?
Do you stay the course?
Give it another 10-15 games?

I don't see them "blowing it up" and dealing away pieces for picks, and part of that is their pieces of value are ones you want to build around.

So what else can you do?
What does a hockey trade look like?

Are you willing to trade big pieces for big pieces?
* Are there other clubs mired in mediocrity or in a rebuild that might be willing to deal?
* Are you interested in a franchise altering deal meaning dealing one of your pillars?

View attachment 479428
Honest question…has Don Sweeney made a single hockey trade, ever? Would Coyle-Donato qualify? Is that basically it?

I love the idea…but not sure it’s worth much consideration.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Honest question…has Don Sweeney made a single hockey trade, ever? Would Coyle-Donato qualify? Is that basically it?

There aren't many "hockey trades" being done these days. The most recent ones I can think of is Subban for Weber and Drouin for Sergachev.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I think Smith for Hayes was his only real hockey trade. Everything else was at the deadline and/or had some component of futures/unproven players.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
That’s the price you pay at the deadline. Lysell is added due to the fact that we can’t give up this years 1st for Rakell. DeBrusk and Frederic are mostly just to make the cap work for both teams.
Well if we are giving up that much, I want a much better player than Rakell. To me Rakell for DeBrusk alone is enough, both players have shown spurts of what they can do, but not consistent and JDB is younger, so if they wanted more than no thanks.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Well if we are giving up that much, I want a much better player than Rakell. To me Rakell for DeBrusk alone is enough, both players have shown spurts of what they can do, but not consistent and JDB is younger, so if they wanted more than no thanks.
Yeah it’s mostly just hypothetical. I’d be fired if I made those moves as GM. Being an armchair GM is fun though.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

You would give up Lysell before you gave up this years first ?

Not a snowball chance in hell here. I think Sweeney moves this years first again, He's established a pattern ever other year. He trades away a first round pick for either a player who's about to retire or to dump a salary of a player, who doesn't have the talent to play in the NHL anymore.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Semi stupid question .... I know DK would have to pass through waivers for the Bruins to sign him when his season is done in the Czech league... If David publicly states he will only play for the Bruins would other teams even bother claiming him? Maybe to just block Bruins or set him up to trade to the bruins for an asset? I remember Jason Spezza saying this when he was put on waivers "If anyone claims me I'm retiring" and no one did....what's the most likely scenario if DK says he want to come back late in the season for a playoff run and says "I'm only playing if the Bruins claim me off waivers"?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Semi stupid question .... I know DK would have to pass through waivers for the Bruins to sign him when his season is done in the Czech league... If David publicly states he will only play for the Bruins would other teams even bother claiming him? Maybe to just block Bruins or set him up to trade to the bruins for an asset? I remember Jason Spezza saying this when he was put on waivers "If anyone claims me I'm retiring" and no one did....what's the most likely scenario if DK says he want to come back late in the season for a playoff run and says "I'm only playing if the Bruins claim me off waivers"?

Krejci, still has a lot left in the tank and with him in the Bruins line-up their a way better team, so there's no doubt an eastern team claims him and sends him a retirement gift in the process.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Krejci, still has a lot left in the tank and with him in the Bruins line-up their a way better team, so there's no doubt an eastern team claims him and sends him a retirement gift in the process.
you mean they claim him and David plays for that team? Or do you mean they claim him and David doesn't bother reporting because he stated "I will only play for the Bruins?" Or do you mean the team claims him and trades him to the Bruins (the only team that he said he'd play for" for an asset?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad