BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Scary (and I fear accurate) comparison as that was a team that went from a
SC Finalist, to
back to back conference finalist, to
make the playoffs and win a round to
playoffs one and done
and finally a DNQ

Injuries to Neely to trading Oates and eventually Bourque.
One has to wonder if Bergeron's Bruins' career may be headed for a similar ending.

Personally I don't see Bergeron continuing to play through a "re-tool", let alone a full rebuild.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Scary (and I fear accurate) comparison as that was a team that went from a
SC Finalist, to
back to back conference finalist, to
make the playoffs and win a round to
playoffs one and done
and finally a DNQ

Injuries to Neely to trading Oates and eventually Bourque.
One has to wonder if Bergeron's Bruins' career may be headed for a similar ending.
Not many great Bruins finish their careers here. Bourque, Chara, Orr, Esposito, Oates.
I expect Bergeron and eventually Marchand to get the same treatment.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
June 22-early July 2016 on HF Boards Bruins some of you fine folks - many actually but a couple who want Sweeney fired are proposing deals including McAvoy & first 2017 for Trouba, Carlo & Pastrnak for Trouba

all sorts of deals including Pastrnak who was only a rookie in 2015-16

not as bad as Marchand and first for Drury in 2010 (Drury retired in 2011)

you folks are the best - passion fantastic

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I went back to 2016 and brought back the most incredibly bad trades proposed on HF but Wally told me to knock it off and I don’t blame him - I did only bring back the ones specific posters blasting Donny. The mods got it over quick but one long time poster was so upset I brought back his post he has never posted since and last day on was that day a couple years ago

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Hard to find a hockey trade that makes sense for this team. We don't really have a strength or glut at any particular position to address our weaknesses and anything that would bring in value to make us better are untouchable. As far as moving non NHL assets our 1sts should be off that table at this stage of the game and we have what, maybe 1-2 NHL bottom 6 upside guys in Providence? And a lot of those big name UFAs for next year that some people were hinting they had plans for all got resigned.

The last 10 years have been great.
Admit it's over.
Don't let this GM make any rash decisions to try and save his job.
Coaching is fine.
Stay course until deadline and see what happens.
Next year half your roster can be sold as rentals, finish 12th in the conference and win the lotto, draft top line C, profit.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I went back to 2016 and brought back the most incredibly bad trades proposed on HF but Wally told me to knock it off and I don’t blame him - I did only bring back the ones specific posters blasting Donny. The mods got it over quick but one long time poster was so upset I brought back his post he has never posted since and last day on was that day a couple years ago
L0PKrEq.jpeg

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I'm not sure what exactly they have to trade that is of much interest to other teams outside of the core group.

Realistically none of Bergeron, Hall, Marchand, Pasta, McAvoy, Carlo, Swayman or Ullmark are going anywhere. Some may say why lump Carlo in here but the guy just signed a long-term six-year deal less than four months ago.

So what's left to move ? Charlie Coyle's contract is prohibitive and his play compared to last year is a bright spot so far.

The rest of the group are 3rd/4th liners or 4/5/6 level D-men, many on deals with term. Or fringe prospects/players with questionable upsides and trade values. They need more talent at the top end of the line-up, instead they allocated their cap space throughout their line-up to what appears to be a fairly mediocre group.
Ullmark maybe get dealt if Rask signs cheap with Boston.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
People complain about Forborts contract, then pine for OEL. . . . whoah
stop worrying about contracts. worry about the player.
Forbot isnt the the problem. Hes a solid #5 dman.
OEL is a soild top 3.
This season Swayman shouldve been our #1 goalie until/if Rask returned. Wasting money on Uhlmark totally screwed us.
Foligno and Haula. Sweeney should be fired for signing those two alone.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Explain how - curious to hear how it happens

explain how OEL is good and his contract isn’t an albatross
Put OEL on the Bruins and he is a totally different player than when on his previous teams.
McAvoy/Gryz
OEL/Carlo

That totally changes the dynamic of our defense right there.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I think they need to continue to iron out their own game.

Everyone is assuming when they lose it's because of whatever bias they had before the season started (#2C or LD) but the #2c has done more offensive play driving 5on5 than any player on the team. And the defense's weak link in the first 11 games isn't any of the left siders, it's Carlo.

When you look at their With/Without Chart below, you see Hall and Coyle as the players furthest to the right which means they are creating a lot of quality scoring chances. They are also towards the bottom right which means they also give up some scoring chances (but I think that's a function of playing with Smith who's been a train wreck defensively this season). You'll also see Carlo as the player furthest to the left and below the red line which means he gives up more than he creates. Every other defenseman on the team is on the other side of that red line. Haula stands out as well. He is below that red line and still pulling big minutes. He has the 2nd worst plus/minus on the team, 1 point in 11 games and seems to be struggling mightily in his matchups and with the way Cassidy has deployed him.

BOS

If I'm Cassidy, the first thing I do is tinker with the 3rd line. They have to plug that hole if they expect the boat to float. The second thing I do is scale back Carlo's minutes and scale up Clifton. Carlo is clearly the better player, but he's not playing like it, and Clifton has played very well. Third I'd spend practice time working on defensive zone coverage. These miscues and missed reads that are happening (by forwards and defensemen) go all the way back to the Islander series. I mean, the goals they're giving up are nearly identical. Goals where a F has someone covered in front so the D leaves to confront the puck carrier, at the same time as the forward in front releases his man to go do the same thing leaving the guy in front uncovered. It's basic, it happens every game to every line and it's why it seems so easy for other teams to score.

They will still probably end up needing a RW for the 2nd line, but that's where I would start. There are a lot of new faces and there were bound to be growing pains. New guys learning the system, learning communication on the ice, learning each other's tendencies. It's a work in progress and will probably be that way until December.

Doesn't this just confirm that analytics do not tell anywhere close to the whole story? I mean, if one of the takeaways is to play Carlo less and give Clifton more minutes I can only laugh. So now Clifton is playing 2 or 3 more minutes a game more against better competition...how do his analytics look after a few a games of that? There are so many factors that cannot be accounted for, it's okay to use your eyes and some common sense. The left side of the defense isn't strong, they have two puck movers who do not excel defensively and one defensive defensemen who is average. Add in Clifton's inconsistencies and Carlo's struggles and this is what we have so far. And yes, there have been breakdowns in the defensive zone but at the end of the day we have too many defensemen that aren't able to cover because they aren't strong defenders. Very little room for error with how the defense is currently constructed.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Yah I’m guessing they like the Bruins but don’t follow the league
admittedly I haven't seen him in Vancouver this year but OEL seems to be doing pretty well so far. neck & neck with Hughes for the best overall metrics among their D, at 5v5 he's been on for 8 goals and 4 against (fewest among their regulars). This is while being on the ice for the most defensive zone faceoffs on the team. maybe at his age he's not worth the contract but it seems like he isn't nearly as bad as it seemed in Arizona.

Reactions: CellyHard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad