Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Mono sucks hard, I can attest to that. I think if he just continued where he left off in his pre-draft year he's looked upon like a Dahlin is right now.

I think he looked good in that World Jr summer show case and if I'm not mistaken that was smaller ice? I didn't think he looked bad.

He also did say that Barb was showing him some tweaks to make with his skating, something about tucking his shoulder in. If he's in the AHL then it'll be easier to get him that skating refinements.

I think he makes the team next year, this year is 100% developmental.
Ya the showcase was small ice and he looked really good, man amongst boys.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Side question: are you going to change your name to scooch or whatever the Scotia bank arean will be nicknamed?

you could pay him $40 Vcash per season and he can be "Saltming Arena" but make sure they don't start calling him "the salt"

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Got it.
I have a year to decide to change it. SBA1734 ??
That actually sounds good. Like something from a sifi novel.

you could pay him $40 Vcash per season and he can be "Saltming Arena" but make sure they don't start calling him "the salt"

Then next year you could out bid me and it becomes the Walshy 7 Arena but poster still think of it as the salt
:laugh:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
That actually sounds good. Like something from a sifi novel.

Then next year you could out bid me and it becomes the Walshy 7 Arena but poster still think of it as the salt
:laugh:

Just sign him to a 20 year naming rights contract. Easy peasy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
anything in particular you want to share?

Can't share the whole article, it was just a bunch of little stuff. Here's a snippet;

Amid all the hype surrounding him, Monten said he believes Liljegren has been miscast as a strictly offensive defenceman. Monten and the Swedish coaching staff believe Liljegren is also a shutdown option.

“What stood out for me was he can move the puck and he can skate the puck, but I think his defensive play was also good,†Monten said. “His positioning — he plays with a good gap, a good stick on puck.â€

“I think he played really mature. I think he could be for sure an offensive defenceman for us, but I think he could play big minutes and be responsible on the ice as well,†Monten added.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah from watching him briefly I didn't understand the people who cast him as a pure offense guy whose defense and physicality was a weakness. Because both looked like strengths to me, for a 17yr old.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah from watching him briefly I didn't understand the people who cast him as a pure offense guy whose defense and physicality was a weakness. Because both looked like strengths to me, for a 17yr old.

Yeah, Athletic doesn't always have huge headline stuff, Sun/Star goes for those big tabloid like quotes to grab people, it was just a solid article all the way through with interesting info.

I agree though. I like how Liljegren would close gaps on guys coming across the blueline and rush them to make decisions, his stick work was pretty good too. He'll only get better with experience and age. I wish Rielly was as adapt as breaking up plays at the blueline as Liljegren already. My biggest issue with Rielly is he doesn't contest zone entires, he just concedes the blueline and skates backwards a lot.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

As time goes on the pro writers and scouts just edge towards the opinion a precious few of us held.

Lilj is most likely a top 5 or better talent who fell due to illness. Scouts did not want to take the risk and get it wrong, opting for perceived safer bets. Fans parrot media opinion on HFBoards while offering no real argument as to why they think he is not pro(NHL) ready.

I don't care if he doesn't make it to the NHL right away but my opinion stands. Lilj is as ready now or more so than Nylander was during his borderline pointless AHL stint.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
As time goes on the pro writers and scouts just edge towards the opinion a precious few of us held.

Lilj is most likely a top 5 or better talent who fell due to illness. Scouts did not want to take the risk and get it wrong, opting for perceived safer bets. Fans parrot media opinion on HFBoards while offering no real argument as to why they think he is not pro(NHL) ready.

I don't care if he doesn't make it to the NHL right away but my opinion stands. Lilj is as ready now or more so than Nylander was during his borderline pointless AHL stint.

As Lou said defensemen with his ability don't come along often

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think it's the default reaction to any player whose highly skilled. Ie they always seen (often inaccurately) as being soft/offensive only players.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's a cliche really. "Highly skilled player from Europe? Must be soft and bad defensively."

In the action I've seen with Liljegren is he doesn't shy away from contact, he's smart to avoid getting stapled to the boards a lot of the time and defensively for his age I haven't had any complaints.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He is one highly mobile d-man with a terrific shot.

What a gift to be given in a draft where everyone was wondering which mediocre D prospect we were going to be left to chose from at 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad