Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I say at the bare minimum he gets one year in the AHL. He'll most likely need more though (if we're being realistic)

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
If it weren't for Gauthier, you could have stretched that out to 6 years also with Rielly. But still, If Freddy does end up being our reliable 4th line C, still not terrible consecutive years of drafting:

Liljegren
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Gauthier
Rielly

After YEARS of suffering through the team trading the 1st round pick year-after-year, it's amazing to finally have some home grown talent/skilled players. And yes, I am still shocked that we have Liljegren. He's just a piece, but what a piece for our very young core going forward. And he's a Right Handed D also (and with Bab's coaching as you mentioned)! Exactly what we needed!

I hope he makes the team, i hope he thrives under babs coaching, i hope he plays at a calder trophy level and i hope someone makes a thread at the end of the season if itvall works out for him and us about a better 4 picks in consecutive drafts:

Liljegren
Matthews
Marner
Nylander

Thats some serious talent drafted consecutively right there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If it weren't for Gauthier, you could have stretched that out to 6 years also with Rielly. But still, If Freddy does end up being our reliable 4th line C, still not terrible consecutive years of drafting:

Liljegren
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Gauthier
Rielly

After YEARS of suffering through the team trading the 1st round pick year-after-year, it's amazing to finally have some home grown talent/skilled players. And yes, I am still shocked that we have Liljegren. He's just a piece, but what a piece for our very young core going forward. And he's a Right Handed D also (and with Bab's coaching as you mentioned)! Exactly what we needed!

I wanted Rychel (taken), Shinkaruk or Burakovsky. Burakovsky would have been a nice hit.

I was open to trading the 1st for a defenseman but Liljegren fits our system like a glove I think.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Seen some confusion here about the slide rule and the 50-man limit, so let me clear that up. The 50-man limit is introduced in Article 1 of the CBA ("SPC" is "Standard Player's Contract"):

and Juniors is defined as follows:

This means that Liljegren will count against the 50-man limit unless he is loaned to Niagara.

The "Slide Rule", which can prolong the ELC, is described in Article 9.1 (d):

His contract will "slide" if he doesn't play at least 10 NHL games. This has nothing to do with the 50-man limit.

So, most likely, his contract will slide, but still count against the 50-man limit.

heres the post from page 3 of this thread

edit: it didn't quote the info that the mcpw posted its on page 3 though

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The last thing we really need to worry about is the 50 contract limit. If it comes to that, someone else will be moved, even if there is little return. His future value to this franchise is far greater than some of the other people on contract.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
it counts man,

I stand corrected.

The last thing we really need to worry about is the 50 contract limit. If it comes to that, someone else will be moved, even if there is little return. His future value to this franchise is far greater than some of the other people on contract.

Very true, we want to put him in the best position to have success. We've freed up a bit of contract limit room anyway.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the 50 contract limit should never even be mentioned, in any context, as it never actually matters.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
the 50 contract limit should never even be mentioned, in any context, as it never actually matters.

Ya really. I can still remember the article that came out a few years ago mentioning this limit and how it was a problem for the Leafs and ever since then our fanbase seems obsessed with it for some reason that I'll never understand. Before that article, I don't recall ever hearing about it once. It has never been and will never be a serious problem. The only people that need to worry about this are the ahl fodder. Personally, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the Chris Mueller's, Justin Holl's and Vincent LoVerde's of the world. Those guys are on our 50 contract list right now according to capfriendly.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Ya really. I can still remember the article that came out a few years ago mentioning this limit and how it was a problem for the Leafs and ever since then our fanbase seems obsessed with it for some reason that I'll never understand. Before that article, I don't recall ever hearing about it once. It has never been and will never be a serious problem. The only people that need to worry about this are the ahl fodder. Personally, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about the Chris Mueller's, Justin Holl's and Vincent LoVerde's of the world. Those guys are on our 50 contract list right now according to capfriendly.

while I agree it doesn't matter, about 5 different times people bring up players like Liljegren don't count when they do, I realize I should just leave it go and will try in the future.

How do we get rid of the "AHL fodder"? if they are AHL fodder every team as a ton of those, so doubt we can trade them and would likely be forced into trading something valuable and throwing them in. you aren't getting picks for a Loverde or Mueller in a trade. The players who should be worried are the middle ground players Soshnikov and above because they have value

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
while I agree it doesn't matter, about 5 different times people bring up players like Liljegren don't count when they do, I realize I should just leave it go and will try in the future.

How do we get rid of the "AHL fodder"? if they are AHL fodder every team as a ton of those, so doubt we can trade them and would likely be forced into trading something valuable and throwing them in. you aren't getting picks for a Loverde or Mueller in a trade. The players who should be worried are the middle ground players Soshnikov and above because they have value

I don't know and don't care which is kind of my point :) It's not something worth worrying about IMO. Players like that get thrown into trades regularly just for the purpose of balancing out contracts so I have no doubt Lou will figure it out without having to give up assets to make it happen. The majority of the league is in the exact same situation and they always have been. When was the last time you saw a team giving up any sort of asset just to dump an ahl contract so they could stay under 50? Leaf fans are creating a problem that doesn't really exist. I've never once seen mention of this 50 contract limit anywhere but the Leaf forums. We're an invested group of fans to say the least!

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Competition ain't too stiff so he has a pretty good shot.

I'm just hoping he stays in Toronto, whether that be the Marlies or Maple Leafs, because he bounced around too much in Sweden.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Competition ain't too stiff so he has a pretty good shot.

I'm just hoping he stays in Toronto, whether that be the Marlies or Maple Leafs, because he bounced around too much in Sweden.

Dermott-Liljegren
Borgman-Nielsen
Rosen-Holl
Valiev-Loverde

Although Dermott, Borgman, or Rosen have decent chances of making the team too.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not sure why so many people are concerned with the 50 contract limit.

If it's best for him to play in North America, the 50 contract limit won't prevent that.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Dermott-Liljegren
Borgman-Nielsen
Rosen-Holl
Valiev-Loverde

Although Dermott, Borgman, or Rosen have decent chances of making the team too.

Take this for what it's worth, and no, Im not going to cite a source. If you choose not to believe me, I won't lose sleep over it. Babcock contacted Dermott over the summer and told him that one of the open D spots is his to lose. So barring a horrible training camp, Dermott will be on the main roster this season.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Take this for what it's worth, and no, Im not going to cite a source. If you choose not to believe me, I won't lose sleep over it. Babcock contacted Dermott over the summer and told him that one of the open D spots is his to lose. So barring a horrible training camp, Dermott will be on the main roster this season.

That's good news!

I'd much rather Dermott over Marincin.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I'm pretty open minded, some of the sources I've been PM'd or things I've been told that happens behind the scenes from the posters in here have been interesting. I'm good at keeping secrets afterwards too lol. I try to share what I can what I hear it, the Stamkos thing I had heard blew up in my face but I did try to share :)

Plus we'll find out very shortly if that is the case, sounds like Dermott has to bomb in the pre-season to not make the team.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott and rotation of Marincin/Carrick

Only issue I'd have is that Dermott-Carrick is a VERY green pairing, I could see them being really good in helping the team transition to offense but also get hemmed in their own zone. Marincin is very good at preventing the opposition from gaining the blueline but after that not so good, his passing ability is terrible.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I'm pretty open minded, some of the sources I've been PM'd or things I've been told that happens behind the scenes from the posters in here have been interesting. I'm good at keeping secrets afterwards too lol. I try to share what I can what I hear it, the Stamkos thing I had heard blew up in my face but I did try to share :)

Plus we'll find out very shortly if that is the case, sounds like Dermott has to bomb in the pre-season to not make the team.

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott and rotation of Marincin/Carrick

Only issue I'd have is that Dermott-Carrick is a VERY green pairing, I could see them being really good in helping the team transition to offense but also get hemmed in their own zone. Marincin is very good at preventing the opposition from gaining the blueline but after that not so good, his passing ability is terrible.

It wasn't directed specificially at you, but you understand how some ppl get on these boards if you don't provide proof ;) I live in Newmarket, and this supposedly came from Dermott's "inner circle" so to speak.

I agree that Carrick and Dermott would be a pretty raw and green type of pairing. Maybe Babs will change up the pairings in the beginning stages throughout games so he and other rookies get more accustomed to the big club? Idk, just relaying what I've been told. Babs always has a plan. :nod:

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
It wasn't directed specificially at you, but you understand how some ppl get on these boards if you don't provide proof ;) I live in Newmarket, and this supposedly came from Dermott's "inner circle" so to speak.

I agree that Carrick and Dermott would be a pretty raw and green type of pairing. Maybe Babs will change up the pairings in the beginning stages throughout games so he and other rookies get more accustomed to the big club? Idk, just relaying what I've been told. Babs always has a plan. :nod:

I'd believe it before you said it. It definitely makes sense. I think some moves will be made following training camp. I don't think guys like Leivo are left off the roster either which means likely trades. Maybe even just to make space for better talent. Which could lead to a loss in a sense.

Something like Komarov for a mediocre pick. 3rd?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

I'm sure he did speak to Dermott to reinforce what he should already know and that is there are spots open for the taking . I disagree that all he has to do is not look brutal and the spots his .

I'm sure Babs spoke to a number or hopefuls to make sure they understand that an opportunity does not always present itself and if they want the spot they better be prepared to take it because it's not going to be handed to them .

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Yeah he's a Newmarket boy lol. I grew up in Keswick so cool to see him moving along in his pro career. Ditto McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad