Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I love some of the hot-takes on here.

I'm going to wait until at least the pre-season before casting judgement on Timoth.

Seriously. We've got everything from a definitive 2 years before he is ready, to still a Jr player after a single game.

I couldn't imaging living a life with such a range if emotion after a single event. Calm down guys, give the kid some time and see what he really has. Maybe it's 2 months, maybe 2 years or maybe a bust, but one game is no indication.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
When Timothy is on his game, he's leading rushes up the ice and gaining zone entries consistently. He did none of those things yesterday. He sat back and tried to feed the puck up to his wingers. Yesterday was just an off game for him in my eyes. He did not play at all to any of his strengths.

The stream I watched featured him rushing the puck multiple times and also make some tight outlet passes to his wingers. There was this one rush in particular (in the first or second period) where he circled the net with opposing players in tow and tried to drop the puck off to a Leaf forward just entering the zone. Had it worked, it would have been a prime scoring opportunity.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Liljegren's game when you watch him, it matches his scouting report fairly accurately.

His strengths and weaknesses are obvious even to the untrained scouting eye and easy to recognize based on first hand accounts of his play.

Development is now the focus here.

Even the most untrained eye (mess) saw it, so it has to be pretty obvious.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
When Timothy is on his game, he's leading rushes up the ice and gaining zone entries consistently. He did none of those things yesterday. He sat back and tried to feed the puck up to his wingers. Yesterday was just an off game for him in my eyes. He did not play at all to any of his strengths.

The worst place to make judgment calls on players is in a training camp atmosphere off a summer break. Nobody is ready... Heck the worst hockey you see is in NHL pre-season games from the games best who flat out suck at this time of year where timing, instinct, pace of play, getting there legs back etc.. add to the fact it's even worst in a rookie tournament atmosphere where there's next to zero on ice chemistry that unlike the established pros youngsters have the pressure to impress. It's not hard to understand why a player like Timothy Liljegren who's all skill and thinking mans hockey player at this point will struggle in a sloppy hockey environment.

These types of environments favor the ones with limited talent who's game is all about hard work not the high end. The track record of being ready has to stretch longer than a training camp performance of a incredibly sloppy rookie game.

You swim better in the deep end of the pool than you would in the shallows of inches of water. Clearly he needs to be in higher quality of hockey to see what he could really do;)

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
The stream I watched featured him rushing the puck multiple times and also make some tight outlet passes to his wingers. There was this one rush in particular (in the first or second period) where he circled the net with opposing players in tow and tried to drop the puck off to a Leaf forward just entering the zone. Had it worked, it would have been a prime scoring opportunity.

Stop making excuses for him. The guy gave the puck away and it led to a goal in the biggest game in this team's history. If Lou isn't shopping him today, then I really I have to question management. He's clearly a bust.

You don't see Karlsson or Weber doing that ever. Even a fringe NHLer like Marinicin, NEVER gives the puck away. They should just cut their losses and next draft do a better job of scouting. What a waste of 17th overall pick.:shakehead

Am I doing this right?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Take this for what it's worth, and no, Im not going to cite a source. If you choose not to believe me, I won't lose sleep over it. Babcock contacted Dermott over the summer and told him that one of the open D spots is his to lose. So barring a horrible training camp, Dermott will be on the main roster this season.

This doesnt mean anything.

He probably said this to Marincin, Carrick, Borgman, and Rosen as well.

"his to lose" means be the best of those 5 players. It applies to all of them.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Stop making excuses for him. The guy gave the puck away and it led to a goal in the biggest game in this team's history. If Lou isn't shopping him today, then I really I have to question management. He's clearly a bust.

You don't see Karlsson or Weber doing that ever. Even a fringe NHLer like Marinicin, NEVER gives the puck away. They should just cut their losses and next draft do a better job of scouting. What a waste of 17th overall pick.:shakehead

Am I doing this right?

Shopping him? No chance a team will trade for him after that performance. We should be buying out his contract

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Watched the game in six only and yes he made some horrendous errors... but it didn't look like because of a lack of talent. It looked more like from rust.

I was actually impressed with his skating and puck handling ability though.

That move to slip the man and then he of course threw a perfect pass to the Montreal Player who scored... but again despite some atrocious decision that seemed to cost him each time, its great to still be able to see the talent.

His talent offensively is already at an NHL level. He can do things with the puck that other players can only dream of. However, there are holes in his game that we all knew about. He didn't step onto the ice like a prime Scott Stevens yesterday, and that's fine. He'll have every opportunity to improve his judgement and defensive ability and his talent will take him pretty far

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Trust your boy mikeyg on this one. Babs and shelly will give him the gardiner special treatment to slow his decision making down a bit. His problems have nothing to do with playstyle or talent. He just nreds to slow and down and pick the best option. Decision making is a skill, and his will certainly improve over time.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm usually one of these guys who argues for a prospect to play at the highest possible level to challenge the player. However I can see the argument in this case to place Liljegren on a CHL team and have him play very high minutes to expose him to as much decision making as possible. It doesn't appear like it's skill development he needs, it appears that he needs to learn how to use his skills to make plays in game situations.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'm usually one of these guys who argues for a prospect to play at the highest possible level to challenge the player. However I can see the argument in this case to place Liljegren on a CHL team and have him play very high minutes to expose him to as much decision making as possible. It doesn't appear like it's skill development he needs, it appears that he needs to learn how to use his skills to make plays in game situations.

And he'll learn how to use his skills properly against 16 Years olds and not men in the worlds 3rd/4th best league...?

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
And he'll learn how to use his skills properly against 16 Years olds and not men in the worlds 3rd/4th best league...?

The OHL has 16 year olds, but it's not mainly 16 year olds so I don't know why it's always referred to as a league of 16 year olds. I know I don't have to say It, but most guys in the league are 18+, Liljegrens age or older.

I do still think he is in the AHL this year though.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kid will be a star this year in the AHL...did anyone watch what his options were when he had the puck in the D zone?

When you take away time and space from any player and add in no options you will see what happened last night. Kid is super skilled and will be more then fine.

I sure hope all of these posters are all called out when he proves to be a high end prospect.

The sad part of this was watching the other players on the ice not be able to make simply support reads!

He made mistakes but most were because he did not want to simply give the puck away.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I'd usually argue the other way on this if he appeared to have a better feel for the game. Presumably he'd play half the game on a junior team including every PP and kill penalties. I like the idea of those minutes for one season regardless of the competition. He would still get a bigger challenge at the WJC and possibly a late season audition in the AHL. In the AHL, he'd be 2nd or 3rd pairing and get sheltered minutes to start.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
;)

Did I really need this :sarcasm:

Even watched Dick Duff play for the Leafs.[/QUOTE)

Inge was the one who ran away but Salming stood his ground never gave away the puck to avoid a check and he had 5 NHL fights included on the list was none other then Dave Schultz....who must have been a wimp:naughty:

LOL Sarcasm is a lost art now days.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kid will be a star this year in the AHL...did anyone watch what his options were when he had the puck in the D zone?

When you take away time and space from any player and add in no options you will see what happened last night. Kid is super skilled and will be more then fine.

I sure hope all of these posters are all called out when he proves to be a high end prospect.

The sad part of this was watching the other players on the ice not be able to make simply support reads!

He made mistakes but most were because he did not want to simply give the puck away.

Why the drama? We can't have a little discussion about something none of us have any power over?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'd usually argue the other way on this if he appeared to have a better feel for the game. Presumably he'd play half the game on a junior team including every PP and kill penalties. I like the idea of those minutes for one season regardless of the competition. He would still get a bigger challenge at the WJC and possibly a late season audition in the AHL. In the AHL, he'd be 2nd or 3rd pairing and get sheltered minutes to start.

LOL ......seriously? He does not need to play against Jr players he has did that already and was a star! He is far to skilled to play in the CHL and will be playing pro hockey!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
CHL is a step in the wrong direction, he's already shown he's above that level of play. One shaky game doesn't change that

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
CHL is a step in the wrong direction, he's already shown he's above that level of play. One shaky game doesn't change that

idk. I think the Icedogs would be a great option for him. We have a tradition of grooming great defensemen here. ;)

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

I'd rather him learn our system and how to play against tougher competition... By staying in junior, he'd be learning bad habits because he'll be able to get away with things against inferior opponents.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

You don't think the total sloppiness of the team, the group as a whole didn't have it's effects? Before you make decisions like this the wise would get a look of Liljegren with the main clubs talent where the quality of hockey is a lot more simpler to play do to it being a lot more structured & organized so that you can get a real read at where he's at.

When it comes to youth in the NHL there's a lot of manipulation and propaganda that gets spewed to justify on the merits of "BEING NHL READY OR NOT" when it's really do to the fact of a guaranteed contract league made worst with a cap makes it really hard to clear roster spots for deserving youth hence why so many spend more time than needed before they get to where they deserve to be. Not saying that Liljegren is clearly ready for the NHL as it's way too soon to say either way but nonetheless do to the fact of guaranteed contracts what your saying is probably going to happen but not because of your premature evaluation of him.

Kapenen will be a perfect example as he will be sent down to the AHL where management will start to spew it's manipulation & propaganda in the name of player development to justify the move of sending him to the AHL.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan

not to mention he looked really really good on the PP....I loved this pick and he will be a star in the NHL imo.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad