Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I'd believe it before you said it. It definitely makes sense. I think some moves will be made following training camp. I don't think guys like Leivo are left off the roster either which means likely trades. Maybe even just to make space for better talent. Which could lead to a loss in a sense.

Something like Komarov for a mediocre pick. 3rd?

I would think Bozak would go before Komarov. Komarov fits a larger need and Bozak is a little redundant imo. He can score and provides apples, but his defense is sub-par at best. Nylander can slot into the C position and gives Leivo a spot. Babs values hardworking 2-way players like Komarov alot more than a dime a dozen 2nd or 3rd line C such as Bozak.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I would think Bozak would go before Komarov. Komarov fits a larger need and Bozak is a little redundant imo. He can score and provides apples, but his defense is sub-par at best. Nylander can slot into the C position and gives Leivo a spot. Babs values hardworking 2-way players like Komarov alot more than a dime a dozen 2nd or 3rd line C such as Bozak.

What Bozak does have going for him is his faceoff proficiency. He's our only go to guy for that. Until someone else learns that, he'd be valued by Babcock, I think. But ya, once that player figures it out, he's likely moved. I just wonder if Babcock wants to roll with Nylander at C full time. Besides, if someone gets hurt, who moves up?

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Moore

Looks great to me, but 1 injury and we're hurting. I'd like the idea of 1 more year of rotating Nylander - Matthews on their strong hand for faceoffs.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

IMO, Bozak would be the 3rd to go. I would think JVR would be #1 and Komarov #2 in preference for the Leafs.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What Bozak does have going for him is his faceoff proficiency. He's our only go to guy for that. Until someone else learns that, he'd be valued by Babcock, I think. But ya, once that player figures it out, he's likely moved. I just wonder if Babcock wants to roll with Nylander at C full time. Besides, if someone gets hurt, who moves up?

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Moore

Looks great to me, but 1 injury and we're hurting. I'd like the idea of 1 more year of rotating Nylander - Matthews on their strong hand for faceoffs.

the thing with faceoffs is, its not so much of a natural talent as a learned skill. So Nylander should be getting regular faceoffs to learn the skill and that's the only way he can get better at them. not just strong side I think that is detrimental to both Matthews AND Nylander on their weak side faceoffs. The only thing Bozak does better than Nylander is faceoffs IMO Nylander is a better scorer (obviously) better puck handler and better defensively (although this isn't hard he just needs to cross the defensive blueline)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
IMO, Bozak would be the 3rd to go. I would think JVR would be #1 and Komarov #2 in preference for the Leafs.

Komorov was Babs' most relied upon defensive matchup forward. I doubt very much that Babs wants him gone, even if they aren't able to afford him next year.

Bozak, on the other hand, was Babs' most sheltered forward. I doubt BAbs would miss him.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Komorov was Babs' most relied upon defensive matchup forward. I doubt very much that Babs wants him gone, even if they aren't able to afford him next year.

Bozak, on the other hand, was Babs' most sheltered forward. I doubt BAbs would miss him.

He'll miss Bozak on the draws, we know how much he cares about faceoffs. But yeah, that's about it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
No surprise that they went out and got an elite faceoff guy like Dom Moore for the 4th line.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
No surprise that they went out and got an elite faceoff guy like Dom Moore for the 4th line.

One thing about Moore is that he's been a God awful possession player lately in his career, I'm hoping we don't have a Ben Smith like issue on our hands with him.

Thankfully, he's not locked up long.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
One thing about Moore is that he's been a God awful possession player lately in his career, I'm hoping we don't have a Ben Smith like issue on our hands with him.

Thankfully, he's not locked up long.

Yeah there's a chance he might be toast - but it's worth mentioning that he has had extreme of extreme usage this last couple years. Like 25% ozone starts kind of usage.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

I doubt he "wants" him gone either but his spot is much easier to fill on the current roster.
IMO, Komarov and Bozak both stick around.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wow what happened to the Liljegren thread? This whole page is Bozak and faceoffs

Fair point.

Personally I'm excited to see Liljegren this weekend in the rookie tournament. It will be interesting to see him beside Dermott (if they play together) and see where they are both at in their development.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Fair point.

Personally I'm excited to see Liljegren this weekend in the rookie tournament. It will be interesting to see him beside Dermott (if they play together) and see where they are both at in their development.

Leaf TV showing the games?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Leaf TV showing the games?

yep, although I didn't look for the montreal vs habs game but the 2 leafs games are for sure on leafs TV. Friday night @ 7PM and Sunday @ 4PM and it looks like they will be repeated many times afterwards

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Fair point.

That pairing would be so ridiculous. Both sides can rush or pass the puck. Both are good at breaking up entries. Dermott gets the physical edge. Both get the puck through to the net.
I do give Dermott the edge as Lil Tim is younger and still has to make some subtle adjustments for the NA game.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That pairing would be so ridiculous. Both sides can rush or pass the puck. Both are good at breaking up entries. Dermott gets the physical edge. Both get the puck through to the net.
I do give Dermott the edge as Lil Tim is younger and still has to make some subtle adjustments for the NA game.

Yeah, but it's also a good just because we think Dermott is already on the cusp of the NHL how does Liljegren look in comparison?

I don't want to beat the drum too much but I think mono is the only thing that hurt Liljegren this year, and it made his decision making terrible because he was battling fatigue.

Lil Tuzzi Bert

Slaw Bunnies
Jul 14, 2009
TVA
yep, although I didn't look for the montreal vs habs game but the 2 leafs games are for sure on leafs TV. Friday night @ 7PM and Sunday @ 4PM and it looks like they will be repeated many times afterwards

Montreal could take this one but honestly don't count out the habs

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah, but it's also a good just because we think Dermott is already on the cusp of the NHL how does Liljegren look in comparison?

I don't want to beat the drum too much but I think mono is the only thing that hurt Liljegren this year, and it made his decision making terrible because he was battling fatigue.
I completely agree with you. I don't think people realize that mono is a serious thing.
Anyways, I still think Lil Tim needs to iron out something but only in regards to playing on NA ice size. He himself stated that he needed to change the way he skates backwards on this ice size.
Give him some time in the ahl to make this new habits stick and bring him up. This year or next?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Thanks, I may only be able to catch Friday night anyway. Busy Saturday and NFL starts Sunday.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Side question: are you going to change your name to scooch or whatever the Scotia bank arean will be nicknamed?

Maybe, I haven't sat in row 12 seat 24 for a long time anyway. In fact I've moved twice since then.

I'm worried I may not remember my new name though if I change it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I completely agree with you. I don't think people realize that mono is a serious thing.
Anyways, I still think Lil Tim needs to iron out something but only in regards to playing on NA ice size. He himself stated that he needed to change the way he skates backwards on this ice size.
Give him some time in the ahl to make this new habits stick and bring him up. This year or next?

Mono sucks hard, I can attest to that. I think if he just continued where he left off in his pre-draft year he's looked upon like a Dahlin is right now.

I think he looked good in that World Jr summer show case and if I'm not mistaken that was smaller ice? I didn't think he looked bad.

He also did say that Barb was showing him some tweaks to make with his skating, something about tucking his shoulder in. If he's in the AHL then it'll be easier to get him that skating refinements.

I think he makes the team next year, this year is 100% developmental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad