Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign Timothy Liljegren (Rogle says hes not playing there)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Watching last rookies game. You can see why he was drafted 17th. He's still a junior. Lots of work needed to be a good AHLer and the NHL isn't even in sight.

Patience Leaf fans. He's obviously talented, but a long way to go help the Leafs....

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yes, Salming was soft as butter, as was Selanne.

Did you ever see Salming play? He was among the toughest players ever. Now if toughness means fightin....you are correct.

But to take a hit to make a play, shot blocking, playing when injured. Being a one of the first Swedes in the NHL especially in the 70s when it was a brutal game.

I kinda agree with Harry Neale's assessment. Salming was Jackie Robinson. He broke the "colour" barrier by having Europeans accepted in the NHL.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
He was fine, he threw one pizza up the middle, everyone lost their sh**. If you put him with an actual NHL defenseman in a lineup that knows whet they are doing, he wouldn't look too out of place. Rest of the game wasn't all that bad.

What is one factor that really had a big affect on them last nite is lack of credible centers. I hope that won't be an issue in the Marlies again.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lilly isnt long ways from the NHL. Dont be silly.
He probably should have been drafted higher. All though apparently one game sample sizes mean everything now I guess.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Did you ever see Salming play? He was among the toughest players ever. Now if toughness means fightin....you are correct.

But to take a hit to make a play, shot blocking, playing when injured. Being a one of the first Swedes in the NHL especially in the 70s when it was a brutal game.

I kinda agree with Harry Neale's assessment. Salming was Jackie Robinson. He broke the "colour" barrier by having Europeans accepted in the NHL.

;)

Did I really need this :sarcasm:

Even watched Dick Duff play for the Leafs.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
;)

Did I really need this :sarcasm:

Even watched Dick Duff play for the Leafs.

I was literally about to reply to that post saying you forgot to use the :sarcasm: because even if that poster did not see salming play x2omparing him to selanne should have spelled out how tough he was.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Well it's been one game in a rookie tournament, are we using the B word yet?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He needs 2 years of development in the minors minimum.

One way s Sweden for a good team and one on the marlies.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
18. nervous. playing better guys. first time. Think we can say throw this game under the rug and see how he does in the following games.

rdogg

I cry your pardon
Aug 4, 2010
PEI
I love some of the hot-takes on here.

I'm going to wait until at least the pre-season before casting judgement on Timoth.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
We probably need to send him back to junior B. Maybe even midget AAA. Cause we like to think reasonable and not overreact....

When he had the puck on his stick, you could tell the talent was there. He looked calm and head was constantly up looking for an outlet pass.

As mentioned here, he didn't look good defensively. But then again, nobody else did. He'll still be with the Marlies, because the best thing about the AHL is..... drumroll please.... it's a good development league. And if people are looking to overreact after 1 rookie tournament game, wouldn't it be a good idea to keep him in a development role?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He was fine, he threw one pizza up the middle, everyone lost their sh**. If you put him with an actual NHL defenseman in a lineup that knows whet they are doing, he wouldn't look too out of place. Rest of the game wasn't all that bad.

What is one factor that really had a big affect on them last nite is lack of credible centers. I hope that won't be an issue in the Marlies again.

I think he just needs to learn when to take chances in the neutral/offensive zone and when to stay back. This will take time....even Karlsson needed years to refine his game and judgement. I think he was just trying to hard to make the homerun plays last night, and his instincts were definitely off.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
One giveaway = first round body on a fourth round head.

Glad we got that out of the way

:)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Liljegren's game when you watch him, it matches his scouting report fairly accurately.

His strengths and weaknesses are obvious even to the untrained scouting eye and easy to recognize based on first hand accounts of his play.

Development is now the focus here.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would just give him the Nylander development path and wait a year and a half. We need to stagger our star ELCs anyway.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He should really be in the AHL to develop until he's ready. It's simply the best place for him to develop and fine tune his game

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He should really be in the AHL to develop until he's ready. It's simply the best place for him to develop and fine tune his game

Watched the game in six only and yes he made some horrendous errors... but it didn't look like because of a lack of talent. It looked more like from rust.

I was actually impressed with his skating and puck handling ability though.

That move to slip the man and then he of course threw a perfect pass to the Montreal Player who scored... but again despite some atrocious decision that seemed to cost him each time, its great to still be able to see the talent.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
The Hot-Takes on our own board are incredible.

Every player has bad games, and it is not unexpected that one would occur with unfamiliar partners, and in his first game in a month. People determining his fate for this year on this game are out to lunch. The only one of the goals that was truly his fault was the flubbed saucer pass to the MTL player right in front of the net. I expect he will bounce back next game, but apparently some on here can tell now that he needs 2 years minimum before he is ready for the Leafs from that game. Perhaps we should wait until the end of camp/pre-season before passing judgement.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
When Timothy is on his game, he's leading rushes up the ice and gaining zone entries consistently. He did none of those things yesterday. He sat back and tried to feed the puck up to his wingers. Yesterday was just an off game for him in my eyes. He did not play at all to any of his strengths.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I remember the hot takes that people had on marner last year when he wasn't that great at the roomie tourney. People were adminant that marner needed another year in the ohl,yet through trust and patience from the Babcock and co, he became a legit top 6 player in his rookie season with so much more room to grow. The leafs management won't judge a player based off of one game. Lilijgren should get lot of games in the preseason to see where he is right now. Preseason hockey will be a better indicator of his abilities as a 18 year old dmen as opposed to playing in this rookie tournament. I do think he takes a year to develope in the all, but I can also see him putting up sick numbers down there and being a key player for us. Lilijgren needs a partner that can skate and cover for him when he makes pinches in the d-zone. I think him and Dermott could be a great pair later on in there careers in the NHL.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Did people actually come into this year thinking he's going to be NHL ready? Lets be realistic about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad