Player Discussion Klim Kostin

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It might be time to make some trades for the now. Bouchard and Pulujarvi for a 2RD that has some jam to his game. Yamamoto and Broberg for a 2LD who is actually a 2LD. Then move some picks to shore up the holes in the middle six RW if nobody steps up, or call up Bourgault and Hamblin to give those guys a shot. We can't move all of our futures, but we need to do something to help that middle pairing.
Nurse - Ceci
???? - ????
Kulak - Barrie

If we figure out what the ????'s are in the middle pair, then we might actually have a good enough blue line to contend.

They need to teach that guy how to kill penalties too. Train him to fill our needs.

Wait, we're trading Bouchard now?

I thought the popular consensus was to sign him to an 8 x $7M deal now while we still can :sarcasm:

I jest, but there is still no way I trade that kid (though I am still firmly in the "bridge him" camp).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Wait, we're trading Bouchard now?

I thought the popular consensus was to sign him to an 8 x $7M deal now while we still can :sarcasm:

I jest, but there is still no way I trade that kid (though I am still firmly in the "bridge him" camp).
Well, we aren't, because this is just a discussion board where we throw out ideas to chat about. I'm not Ken Holland's burner account.

I don't want to trade Bouchard too badly either, I just don't see how we can move forward successfully with all of Bouchard, Barrie and Broberg in the system. Having even 2 of Barrie and Bouchard is problematic as they are both inconsistent defensively. To contend this year, I think we need a big upgrade on that 2nd pair (2nd LD at minimum- Bouchard at 3RD would be ideal, but Barrie is there), and at least one top six RW who can actually produce to fit in with Kane, Hyman and Nuge. Our other wingers are all 3rd line at best right now.

Here's hoping Kostin steps up and takes a middle six wing spot if given the chance. That will help out pretty well too, if we can have a Kostin - McLeod - Foegle 3rd line that actually does something.

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think I mentioned it in the trade thread, but he was the standout for me in the U17s (which featured Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Norris, Hughes, etc), and last game was the type of performance that I was expecting to see out of him at the NHL level. He’s big and seems to just love using his size to punish the other team. I’m still optimistic he can turn into a middle 6 powerforward

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Solid second chance guy. Has a great toolkit of size and skating. Need to show a consistent pilot light and work rate which has been a challenge (and likely key to unlocking a quality depth NHL player). His .44 AHL career results don't scream breakthrough NHL scorer but if Klim can play consistent heavy, aggressive hockey this can can be an asset on a pretty soft, finesse style team. Chip in with some opportunistic goals would be part of the equation.

Great to see a fun loving outgoing player add to this team's mix especially during this tough down stretch.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Just listening to his interview. Love the personality, he has a surprisingly good command of the language.

I hope he can find a way to stay in the lineup when everybody is healthy, he brings a dimension that they can really use in a playoff run and a personality, quite frankly, that they lack.

Maybe a Kostin-Janmark-Pulju 4th line when everybody is healthy if it's possible under the cap. I almost forget how deep the forward group is when healthy (especially if Yam and Pul can rediscover some confidence), there will be some quality left out.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Solid second chance guy. Has a great toolkit of size and skating. Need to show a consistent pilot light and work rate which has been a challenge (and likely key to unlocking a quality depth NHL player). His .44 AHL career results don't scream breakthrough NHL scorer but if Klim can play consistent heavy, aggressive hockey this can can be an asset on a pretty soft, finesse style team. Chip in with some opportunistic goals would be part of the equation.

Great to see a fun loving outgoing player add to this team's mix especially during this tough down stretch.

Thing is, we don’t necessarily need him to be that breakout scorer. We have 2 legit top 6 wingers, and 3 legit top 6 centers. If Yamo can keep up his pace from last year, that means it’s a spot on the 3rd line for Klim. If he can put up ~30 points next to McLeod and Pulju/Holloway, while playing as physical as he did last game, that’s a guy you’re very happy to have.

Kind of random but I’m impressed with his English speaking ability for a 23 year old Russian player, it shows his commitment to being a professional here in North America.

Same here. I was caught a bit off guard when he said he didn’t know a word in his last interview because he seemed so fluent

Reactions: MessierII and dss97

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Was reading the blues boards. Klim is like their version of Puljujjarvi. Toolsy no tool box guy expected to be a Top 6 Winger that could never put it together and needed a change of scenery. Well for once maybe the Oilers can take advantage of a struggling, but high pedigree player and make him work for our team. Let’s hope Klim keeps taking steps, he’s been good for us so far.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thing is, we don’t necessarily need him to be that breakout scorer. We have 2 legit top 6 wingers, and 3 legit top 6 centers. If Yamo can keep up his pace from last year, that means it’s a spot on the 3rd line for Klim. If he can put up ~30 points next to McLeod and Pulju/Holloway, while playing as physical as he did last game, that’s a guy you’re very happy to have.

Same here. I was caught a bit off guard when he said he didn’t know a word in his last interview because he seemed so fluent
That's my point. Moreso for people to be realistic about the player and role he can fill. He hasn't been a scorer at the pro level in any leagues. He will be a valuable bottom six player who can utilize his size, speed and some physicality - the key is unlocking the internal motor to drive doing it consistently. If the scoring develops beyond that - bonus. First needs to solidify consistent high work rate in his game.

Lots of raw putty here.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think I mentioned it in the trade thread, but he was the standout for me in the U17s (which featured Svechnikov, Tkachuk, Norris, Hughes, etc), and last game was the type of performance that I was expecting to see out of him at the NHL level. He’s big and seems to just love using his size to punish the other team. I’m still optimistic he can turn into a middle 6 powerforward
He was very good in the 2019 WJC's as well.

the fans... didn't love him too much, though

1670628255404.png

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
This guy is a certified beauty. Looks Klim caught him with one on the back of the head and Kassian dragged him down as tactic to bail out lol.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
There have been at least 2 games this season where I'm pretty sure we would've lost without him in the lineup. Player with tons of potential having trouble putting it together in St. Louis and we're reaping the benefits, it's usually the other way around.

Ken Holland won a trade. This is not a drill. Ken Holland actually won a trade.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Can we rename this thread to "My name is Klim and I'm hungry"?

Thanks. I was commenting on this video yesterday. its classic. What a card he is.

Kostin another solid game tonight and his muscle is needed in games like against the hard forechecking wild.

Kostin jumped into the slot and got a shot away with authority tonight. Finding his way here.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I wanted the Oilers to draft Kostin in the 2nd round of 2017. Feels weird that he's actually an Oiler. Bittersweet that Samorukov had to go the other way as I really liked him. We definitely need more Russians and Finns on the team
A russian center, a finnish goaltender, a swedish defender.

Reactions: saucesaitl

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There have been at least 2 games this season where I'm pretty sure we would've lost without him in the lineup. Player with tons of potential having trouble putting it together in St. Louis and we're reaping the benefits, it's usually the other way around.

Ken Holland won a trade. This is not a drill. Ken Holland actually won a trade.
Too eager, too soon.

He looks good, not great. Samourukov has plenty of time to still turn into the better player as well.

I understand your excitement and am liking the player a lot as well but will wait a lot longer before making any strong claims one way or the other.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I like the player too, and wish him well, but I also remember the infatuation with Puljujarvi and the pizza and buffalo stuff that sent some posters over the edge on here with their gushing. I like the trending but I'll curb my enthusiasm a bit.

Reactions: DarksideGhost

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I haven't been able to watch the last few games but it sounds like he's coming on now. How does he stack up against other bottom 6 wingers? Janmark > Kostin > Foegle > Holloway > Puljujarvi? I know Janmark is on line 2 but Kane will bump him down.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I haven't been able to watch the last few games but it sounds like he's coming on now. How does he stack up against other bottom 6 wingers? Janmark > Kostin > Foegle > Holloway > Puljujarvi? I know Janmark is on line 2 but Kane will bump him down.
Him and Ryan have a good thing going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad