Player Discussion Klim Kostin

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Might as well get a thread up for the new pickup.

6’4, pretty good straight line skater, and not afraid to play physical/drop the mitts. Don’t mind the pickup for the bottom 6 depth.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Should be an interesting add to the depth on the right side. Probably brings a little more strength and physicality than Perlini did last season.

Love these project players with a little bit of draft pedigree. We're just looking for a pretty basic fourth line checker at this point.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Week ago I didn't know much about this player even though I watch The Blues from time to time. But most of my watches were in the spring and playoffs and Kostin not there. Since we traded I've dug deeper and revised my opinion to liking the player potential and what this could be here. As others have mentioned potential power forwards take time and its a blessing when they hit and get physical consistently and Kostin numbers suggest that kind of guy. Minimum wage. Kass for less pricing. The main thing is Kostin already plays physical and fights as a 23year old first round talent. That he's accepted this kind of role already speaks well of the kids tenacity to do anything to be here.

How could Oilers fans not like this. Kostin was a redundant skillset on a tough, stocked Blues clubs. But he fills needs here. This is a good add.

As Holland mentioned we're in go now mode. Kostin is somebody that can plug in now. Samu is nowhere close to that and was falling on our depthchart. Guys like Nemo, Kesselring blew Samu out of the water. Its up to the player to make the team still believe in him being a primary prospect. Due to a wealth of D prospects Samu wasn't that anymore.

Sorry for summarizing the trade detail but its something that will bleed into this discussion inevitably.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Week ago I didn't know much about this player even though I watch The Blues from time to time. But most of my watches were in the spring and playoffs and Kostin not there. Since we traded I've dug deeper and revised my opinion to liking the player potential and what this could be here. As others have mentioned potential power forwards take time and its a blessing when they hit and get physical consistently and Kostin numbers suggest that kind of guy. Minimum wage. Kass for less pricing. The main thing is Kostin already plays physical and fights as a 23year old first round talent. That he's accepted this kind of role already speaks well of the kids tenacity to do anything to be here.

How could Oilers fans not like this. Kostin was a redundant skillset on a tough, stocked Blues clubs. But he fills needs here. This is a good add.

As Holland mentioned we're in go now mode. Kostin is somebody that can plug in now. Samu is nowhere close to that and was falling on our depthchart. Guys like Nemo, Kesselring blew Samu out of the water. Its up to the player to make the team still believe in him being a primary prospect. Due to a wealth of D prospects Samu wasn't that anymore.

Sorry for summarizing the trade detail but it’s something that will bleed into this discussion inevitably.
Kostin had struggles in St Louis but part of that could be the redundancy like you said.
In St Louis he was playing with guys like him, here he is playing with a higher skilled group and more variety so his skill set may better compliment his linemates.

Watching some videos if Benson keeps playing the way he was in camp (when he is healthy) I think they could compliment each other well. Just need to find the best center for them.

Honestly having him on a 4th line makes it more likely that Hamblin fits there too. A cheap 4th line of Benson - Hamblin/Ryan - Kostin could work well, just skill set wise.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Should be an interesting add to the depth on the right side. Probably brings a little more strength and physicality than Perlini did last season.

Love these project players with a little bit of draft pedigree. We're just looking for a pretty basic fourth line checker at this point.

He doesn't have Perlini's shot (even though his is still pretty good), but he is much more physical and can fight.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Benson-Hamblin-Kostin could be a real interesting 4th line if we find a way to cut salary burying one of Foegele/Ryan in the AHL and the other part of a cap dump in a move for another D.

Kostin adds some size and muscle to Benson’s shit disturbing ways. Hamblin and Benson also give Kostin a couple linemates who have decent skill.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Benson-Hamblin-Kostin could be a real interesting 4th line if we find a way to cut salary burying one of Foegele/Ryan in the AHL and the other part of a cap dump in a move for another D.

Kostin adds some size and muscle to Benson’s shit disturbing ways. Hamblin and Benson also give Kostin a couple linemates who have decent skill.
Hamblin is a bit of a shit disturber himself too. Kostin can finish the fights that they start lol

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hamblin is a bit of a shit disturber himself too. Kostin can finish the fights that they start lol

I love Hamblin, he deserves a look in the NHL on merit. He plays a likeable style of game with some skill and he’s a good skater as well. Not the biggest guy, but adding Kostin to those two could be intriguing a cheap 4th line.

Creates a decent option if we go hunting for a D man.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I like Hamblin's compete and skill, I'm just not sure who I see as our 4C. It could be any of Hamblin, Ryan or McLeod. IMO McLeod is the best player of the bunch but I'm not sure that he'd be happy with that role given the contract hit he took for the team this offseason.

Kane-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Hyman-RNH-Foegele
Benson-McLeod-Kostin

That's how I'd roll the lines out. IMO Hyman and RNH together would be awesome for us to exploit other team's bottom 6's.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
From a needs standpoint I like it but granted I don't watch our farm team so I can't say what kind of player Samourukov was. Kostin can be put into the line up straight away as we need a forward who will crash/bang and fight from time to time but seems to have some speed and a heavy shot.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I like Hamblin's compete and skill, I'm just not sure who I see as our 4C. It could be any of Hamblin, Ryan or McLeod. IMO McLeod is the best player of the bunch but I'm not sure that he'd be happy with that role given the contract hit he took for the team this offseason.

Kane-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Hyman-RNH-Foegele
Benson-McLeod-Kostin

That's how I'd roll the lines out. IMO Hyman and RNH together would be awesome for us to exploit other team's bottom 6's.

It‘s crazy the depth and options we have. We objectively have one of the best, if not the best forward core in the NHL.

Especially with the current cap, every team has flaws.

We could legitimately load up McDavid and Drai on the top line for stretches and still have enough depth to roll out pretty decent lines behind them.

This is the best roster on paper as it stands that we’ve had in the entire McDrai era. I’m quite optimistic about this team, I think we‘ll need to add one more physical D man around the trade deadline.

This roster is clearly win now mode and we should be one of the top teams in the Western Conference.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I got this quote from the Blues board. This was from the Blues HC:
“Klim Kostin is back, and he’s a big guy that’s been around. He needs to take another step here. He has the ability to do the things that are needed, but again, you’ve got to go and do it.”

Sounds like consistency issues. Not exactly uncommon with bigger guys that play a physical game. Hopefully he can find that consistency here.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Sorry for summarizing the trade detail but its something that will bleed into this discussion inevitably.

Good post. As I said in the trade thread, this likely has Brad Holland’s fingerprints on it.

This trade makes complete sense from a roster composition and needs perspective. He can also go up and down for I think 30 days without requiring waivers, thus we’ll get a good look at him and if it doesn’t work he can play top line minutes in Bakersfield with Bourgault providing some protection.

He’s a good player to take a gamble on, he was rated very highly in his draft year early on. I was a fan of his during his draft year, surprised he didn’t pan out and a new opportunity might be exactly what he needed.

It‘s a pretty low risk move either way.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Whoa. Brake pump on the Kassian comparisons and roles.

Hope Kostin can turn on and sustain his pilot light with a second chance organization that comes with high draft pedigree. Harnessing a skill tool kit and utilizing skating and size is the aspiration with this player. Willingness to engage in hockey fights is more likely an outcome if he can create a consistent effort and find his game to play hard and aggressive. Kassian was a predator who liked to fight and this was an innate part of his toolkit that made him a first round pick.

Kostin's cleared waivers so anticipate he gets initial reps in Bakersfield. Worthwhile project to see if they can unearth more bottom size size, skating and ability. There's opportunity for this organization as we saw with the PTO test drive of Virtanen.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good post. As I said in the trade thread, this likely has Brad Holland’s fingerprints on it.

This trade makes complete sense from a roster composition and needs perspective. He can also go up and down for I think 30 days without requiring waivers, thus we’ll get a good look at him and if it doesn’t work he can play top line minutes in Bakersfield with Bourgault providing some protection.

He’s a good player to take a gamble on, he was rated very highly in his draft year early on. I was a fan of his during his draft year, surprised he didn’t pan out and a new opportunity might be exactly what he needed.

It‘s a pretty low risk move either way.
Thanks for elaborating. How is he with accepting passes. Possess a one timer at all. I heard from the Blues poster he gets shots off quick. This could be useful here. Also that he has decent speed. You've obviously seen him, whats his puck possession skillset like? Lots to like about the potential for the price tag.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Hasn't been able to put it together at the NHL level and isn't exactly tearing it up in the KHL or AHL either. But it is worth noting that Val Nichushkin was considered a bum around this age with many of the same attributes: big power forward with horrid hockey IQ/decision making, no hands whatsoever, likes to carry the puck a lot but no clue what to do with it, physical, good speed, and can make power moves to the net. Now not saying he can get as good as 2021-22 Nichushkin but if he can develop into 2019-20 version of Nichushkin within a year or two that's a big asset for us.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

A full 4th line of players who are a pain in the opposing team's bum? Yes please! :nod:

Hamblin also makes me wonder. I think he's earned a legit look at regular season time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00