Player Discussion Klim Kostin

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Love his game. Big like Pool Party and better than Pool Party. Put him on the top line and see what he can do. He deserves a chance.

Reactions: ManByng

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Too eager, too soon.

He looks good, not great. Samourukov has plenty of time to still turn into the better player as well.

I understand your excitement and am liking the player a lot as well but will wait a lot longer before making any strong claims one way or the other.
5 years down the road isn't a concern win a cup in McD and Draisailt prime is. Timeline wise Kostin fits better so we won that trade today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
I remember how ape spit some were when we traded d-man Samorukov to get Kostin, but Dimitri really was expendable because he's below several others in the pecking order for potential playing time on the Oilers. it's turned out to be a pretty good trade as we are now seeing some results from Kostin !

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Kulak? Foegele?
This is funny.
Which of course is also making any grand proclamations on Campbell at this juncture.
Never stop HF Oiling. Never stop.

Kulak had some rough moments (I mostly blame Roger's ice machine for falling :sarcasm: ) but has been solid of late and back to what they were getting last season when they traded for him. Foegele had better stats last season but is playing better this year and is closer to his contract value. The goal he scored against Dallas was likely the prettiest goal he's scored as an Oiler. I think he's settling in and playing the way he needs to on lines that can cycle. He won't live up to his contract since the flat cap pushed down the value of similar players but he's a good bottom 6 guy that can do spot duty in the top 6. Odd players for the poster to target, IMO

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Kulak had some rough moments (I mostly blame Roger's ice machine for falling :sarcasm: ) but has been solid of late and back to what they were getting last season when they traded for him. Foegele had better stats last season but is playing better this year and is closer to his contract value. The goal he scored against Dallas was likely the prettiest goal he's scored as an Oiler. I think he's settling in and playing the way he needs to on lines that can cycle. He won't live up to his contract since the flat cap pushed down the value of similar players but he's a good bottom 6 guy that can do spot duty in the top 6. Odd players for the poster to target, IMO
Foegele I think would be fine if his contract was 1.5 million instead of 3 million but strongly disagree on Kulak. I think he's having an absolutely shambolic season and the deployment, eye test, and metrics all support this. He's mostly being kept away from opposing top 6 forwards which is extremely alarming for a supposed top 4 dman while Nurse has to deal with the brunt of the brutal matchups (again).

His biggest asset last season was his entry denials and ability to quickly transition the puck out, whereas this season he's giving up the line frequently, and he's never been one of those physical board battle/crease clearing bruiser types so entry denial is very important for his defense, pass breakups still seem okayish but again he's never been stellar at it. He also appears to be less engaged physically and while hits are not an exact measure for physicality it can be used as a proxy. He went for averaging about 2 hits per game with us both in regular season and playoffs to barely averaging even a hit per game. Bouchard, who a lot of fans criticize as soft/lacking urgency has nearly 20 more hits than him. He's trying to go for those Nurse/Bouchard bomb stretch passes and fails them at a higher frequency than those two. You can blame some of this on changes to Woodcroft's system, but the reality is he looks much worse at these facets.

Underlying numbers wise he's dead last on the team in CF%, dead last on the team in FF%, 2nd last behind Murray for xGF%, compared to last season where he was 1st or 2nd on the team in most categories among dmen.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Foegele I think would be fine if his contract was 1.5 million instead of 3 million but strongly disagree on Kulak. I think he's having an absolutely shambolic season and the deployment, eye test, and metrics all support this. He's mostly being kept away from opposing top 6 forwards which is extremely alarming for a supposed top 4 dman while Nurse has to deal with the brunt of the brutal matchups (again).

His biggest asset last season was his entry denials and ability to quickly transition the puck out, whereas this season he's giving up the line frequently, and he's never been one of those physical board battle/crease clearing bruiser types so entry denial is very important for his defense, pass breakups still seem okayish but again he's never been stellar at it. He also appears to be less engaged physically and while hits are not an exact measure for physicality it can be used as a proxy. He went for averaging about 2 hits per game with us both in regular season and playoffs to barely averaging even a hit per game. Bouchard, who a lot of fans criticize as soft/lacking urgency has nearly 20 more hits than him. He's trying to go for those Nurse/Bouchard bomb stretch passes and fails them at a higher frequency than those two. You can blame some of this on changes to Woodcroft's system, but the reality is he looks much worse at these facets.

Underlying numbers wise he's dead last on the team in CF%, dead last on the team in FF%, 2nd last behind Murray for xGF%, compared to last season where he was 1st or 2nd on the team in most categories among dmen.
A Diff on cost at 0,5-1m doesnt matter in my book, it matters if Fogele can contribute, is taking it seriously.and he does mostly of the time. He has found a place on the team. And thats enough for me. I rather spend 2,7 on someone doing it good, than 1,5 and doing it below average.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Simple question, if someone can please enlighten me. Has he been playing LW or RW mostly as an Oiler?

Lots of Russian wingers prefer to play their off wing, but I don't know how he has been utilized under Woodcroft. IIRC when Kostin and Janmark were playing on the same line, Janmark was the right winger? I thought that was odd.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Simple question, if someone can please enlighten me. Has he been playing LW or RW mostly as an Oiler?

Lots of Russian wingers prefer to play their off wing, but I don't know how he has been utilized under Woodcroft. IIRC when Kostin and Janmark were playing on the same line, Janmark was the right winger? I thought that was odd.
Left wing.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Left wing.

Seems a bit weird to me. I wonder if that just him being like "I'm here to do whatever you ask me to do". But if most of his career has been playing on the right side, you'd think we would take advantage of that.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think hes played a decent amount of RW especially when Janmark - RNH - Kostin was been a thing.

Not sure what hes played mostly. Woodcroft's lines are hard to figure out.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I dont get why he is scratched such a lot. I wish that 3rd line came back. It made the team stronger overall.

Let Bjugstad slide in on Leons line.
He was pretty sick and then came back and got hurt. Some guy reported it.

The trade for Bjugstad and the ability to have an extra roster space allowed him the time off to heal up.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Can someone explain to me what "Klim is him" is supposed to mean/in reference to.

Oilers Twitter writer:

"Klim is dim!....No, that doesn't sound good."
"Klim is slim!...No."
"Klim is trim!...bleh. Same as above."
"Klim is him!...that's the one."

They could have spelled it like a church song instead. That would have made some semblance of sense.

Slugman

May 24, 2021
Oilers Twitter writer:

"Klim is dim!....No, that doesn't sound good."
"Klim is slim!...No."
"Klim is trim!...bleh. Same as above."
"Klim is him!...that's the one."

They could have spelled it like a church song instead. That would have made some semblance of sense.
It's referencing the popular meme "He's him". Basically, it means you're an icon.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad