Player Discussion Klim Kostin

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't been able to watch the last few games but it sounds like he's coming on now. How does he stack up against other bottom 6 wingers? Janmark > Kostin > Foegle > Holloway > Puljujarvi? I know Janmark is on line 2 but Kane will bump him down.
Purely based on effectiveness I’d have Janmark at the total opposite end of that spectrum. He’s a big meh to me.

Reactions: InTheBox

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like the player too, and wish him well, but I also remember the infatuation with Puljujarvi and the pizza and buffalo stuff that sent some posters over the edge on here with their gushing. I like the trending but I'll curb my enthusiasm a bit.
The season is a marathon and not a sprint. Hoping that he can keep up this level of play for a full 82 games and hopefully into the playoffs as well.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Purely based on effectiveness I’d have Janmark at the total opposite end of that spectrum. He’s a big meh to me.
His best work has been on the kill IMO. I feel like he’s been a big part of the turnaround. 5 on 5 he’s been a mixed bag some good plays but some huge mistakes.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His best work has been on the kill IMO. I feel like he’s been a big part of the turnaround. 5 on 5 he’s been a mixed bag some good plays but some huge mistakes.
Keep in mind that he's playing 2nd line which is out of his league a bit IMO.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Keep in mind that he's playing 2nd line which is out of his league a bit IMO.
Yeah I agree. He’s over his head and that’s led to some mistakes. Janmark is a pretty good bottom 6 nhler. Ideally when Kane returns I’d like to see our bottom 6 consists of McLeod, Foegele, Ryan, Kostin, Janmark. Those 5 should form the basis of a solid bottom 6. Maybe Jesse or Holloway is in there too maybe not. I still think Holloway should be in the minors and Jesse at this point should just be a cap dump so we can actually keep all those guys up at once when Kane returns.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Him and Ryan have a good thing going.
The forwardcorp is great. There are goods who can score dowm to 4th line.
If I could give a christmasgift, I would gift Jesse a box of acceptance of role, and apprichiation of his way of work. Then he have to give him a selfboost.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
If Järnmark could slide in at 2nd line, the line depth for Oilers would mash other teams.

1st line mcDaddy line scores on autogiro cash un.
2nd line Nugget&Co. Keeps the enemy on toes, and creates.
3rd line of Kostin, MacLeod burns underestimating opponents.
4th line Ryan,Shore ,Pulju takes the other 4th line for breakfest with surpeise.

And the D;
There really isnt one bad player at defense, its the pair that makes it "?!".
Broberg and Bouchard are in a vacuum top 6 Ds, but are their D togehter enough? As for Barrie. As for Nurse, would he handle a D with Bouch or Barrie?

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If Järnmark could slide in at 2nd line, the line depth for Oilers would mash other teams.

1st line mcDaddy line scores on autogiro cash un.
2nd line Nugget&Co. Keeps the enemy on toes, and creates.
3rd line of Kostin, MacLeod burns underestimating opponents.
4th line Ryan,Shore ,Pulju takes the other 4th line for breakfest with surpeise.

And the D;
There really isnt one bad player at defense, its the pair that makes it "?!".
Broberg and Bouchard are in a vacuum top 6 Ds, but are their D togehter enough? As for Barrie. As for Nurse, would he handle a D with Bouch or Barrie?
The Oilers D is funny because I currently see it this way:

Nurse: top pairing, paid and played as a #1.
Barrie, Ceci, Kulak, Bouchard - all ideally #4's right now with a stronger partner than they are and only Ceci has a stronger partner than they are, but he's also being played a pairing too high.
Broberg - developing 5/6

There's nobody BAD, per se, but just about everyone is being asked to play above their heads.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
The Oilers D is funny because I currently see it this way:

Nurse: top pairing, paid and played as a #1.
Barrie, Ceci, Kulak, Bouchard - all ideally #4's right now with a stronger partner than they are and only Ceci has a stronger partner than they are, but he's also being played a pairing too high.
Broberg - developing 5/6

There's nobody BAD, per se, but just about everyone is being asked to play above their heads.
Classic oiler problem. Wich thou hurts the entire team when they are asked to play pver their heads.

Why not create solid 2nd and 3rd pair at lest, that makes 2 pairs at reasonable level.

I see it as :
Nurse - can play a whole lot of miniutes - is a weak 1st D, or a strong 2D. 1 pair at least
Ceci - 3rd D. Solid D backup for an offensive D, should play with Barrie or Bouchard. Why not Bro'?
Bouchard - wildcard. No one knows where he should be. Everything between 2 - 5th D. I say 3rd-4th D. Not really a 4th. Thats mean. He though need a stud D, defensive brick beside him.
Barrie - just as Bouchard. The redundant other. A 3rd D if there is a defensive Dbesides him. Like Kulak.
Kulak - great to have here. Perfect match for oilers. 4th -5th D, defensive backup-er. Wich means - if he plays with Bouch or Barrie, he has to take the D, and shouldnt be 2nd pair.
Bro" - rookie, right now 4th or 6th D, that said- should not drive a D pair.

Makes it
Nurse -
Ceci - Bouchard
Kulak - Barrie/Bro'

That would for me make Bro play 1st pair, so nobody except one player plays over their heads.
Nurse - Broberg.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I like Hamblin's compete and skill, I'm just not sure who I see as our 4C. It could be any of Hamblin, Ryan or McLeod. IMO McLeod is the best player of the bunch but I'm not sure that he'd be happy with that role given the contract hit he took for the team this offseason.

Kane-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Holloway-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Hyman-RNH-Foegele
Benson-McLeod-Kostin

That's how I'd roll the lines out. IMO Hyman and RNH together would be awesome for us to exploit other team's bottom 6's.
Dont want pulju with McDavid.
Here is something new

Kane McDavid Yamamoto
Kostin MacLeod Draisaitl
Fogele Nuge Hyman
Holloway Ryan pulj?/Hamblin

A full 4th line of players who are a pain in the opposing team's bum? Yes please! :nod:

Hamblin also makes me wonder. I think he's earned a legit look at regular season time.
Is Benson worth having just for mouth off? Is he at NHL level?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Read a Blues fan say about Kostin that he could look dominant some games, but it was rare. He looked pretty dominant with that assist tonight. He dummied that defender with a great fake, showed wheels, size and puck protection, patience, poise, and vision. All 1st round skills if they come in one bundled package.

If this guy ever finds the consistency that eluded him as a Blue, watch out. I say let him keep succeeding on bottom 6 lines, or on Nuges line which is really a 2nd line on most teams. At the first sign of struggle or a slump, give him a boost with a look next to McD or Drai.

MAKE KLIM HAPPEN. WIN TRADE AT ALL COSTS.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Read a Blues fan say about Kostin that he could look dominant some games, but it was rare. He looked pretty dominant with that assist tonight. He dummied that defender with a great fake, showed wheels, size and puck protection, patience, poise, and vision. All 1st round skills if they come in one bundled package.

If this guy ever finds the consistency that eluded him as a Blue, watch out. I say let him keep succeeding on bottom 6 lines, or on Nuges line which is really a 2nd line on most teams. At the first sign of struggle or a slump, give him a boost with a look next to McD or Drai.

It's really the case for a lot of 4th line guys in the NHL or even third line guys.

In the past year we've seen some amazing things from guys like Ryan, Foegelle and even Janmark. Problem is these guys are where they are in the lineup and the salary charts as they just can't seem to be able to do it every night

The real key for Kostin now is not even finding consistency in dominated with his offense tools. It's finding consistency so that you aren't hurting the team when you don't have it going offensively.

The other thing is the coaches need to work with him as well. They need to reiterate that while he was a former 1st rounder and a guy that wants to score, don't get down on yourself when you aren't. He has a lot of other tools to play off of that can still bring value to this club when the offense isn't there.

Reactions: Oilhawks and frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The Blues fans never saw enough of Kostin and he never got enough chance there to form an impression A young player needs regular minutes and watering. Kostin NEVEr got that in STL. No first round pick should be given this limited an opportunity. Few players show their goods at this level within 40NHL GP. Takes longer than that.

Blues picked a player that picked their profile of type of player but maybe more as insurance if players went down or were lost. Kostin was a quantity that Blues had a lot of supply of. Big physical forwards. This does not equate to Kostin isn't a player. I took a deeper dive into his career when we got him and liked what I saw and the intangibles he could bring.

What I didn't know is what a personality this guyis in the room. he brings a Maroon like mirth to the club and this club is in need of someone like that. McDrai are pretty serious people. They are best when somebody like Kane or Maroon or some card is breaking them up. One can tell Drai is liking the kid.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The Blues fans never saw enough of Kostin and he never got enough chance there to form an impression A young player needs regular minutes and watering. Kostin NEVEr got that in STL. No first round pick should be given this limited an opportunity. Few players show their goods at this level within 40NHL GP. Takes longer than that.

Blues picked a player that picked their profile of type of player but maybe more as insurance if players went down or were lost. Kostin was a quantity that Blues had a lot of supply of. Big physical forwards. This does not equate to Kostin isn't a player. I took a deeper dive into his career when we got him and liked what I saw and the intangibles he could bring.

What I didn't know is what a personality this guyis in the room. he brings a Maroon like mirth to the club and this club is in need of someone like that. McDrai are pretty serious people. They are best when somebody like Kane or Maroon or some card is breaking them up. One can tell Drai is liking the kid.
He is more skilled than Maroon he looks so good out there and only getting better , playing with Nuge is really his 1st skilled player he played with this season and did not look out of place, I see tons of upside in him

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Klim is an example of how adversity can pay off. He got a call up because we had mounting injuries. Same with Janmark. Even when injured guys return, you got to think both those guys are sticking, so we are better off in the end, even if we had to suffer some growing pains and dysfunction as the dust had to settle.

It seems like a perfect situation is happening with that. When we get fully healthy it's looking like we will have some decent players we will have to trade off, and we might be well positioned to fill another roster hole as a result

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Well you also know that you don’t have a team of 22 McDavids. Depth success from a fourth line reclamation project is exactly what this team needs.
What if that fourth line reclamation project is better than half the forwards on the team, does that still make him a fourth line reclamation project? Sadly it does.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
What if that fourth line reclamation project is better than half the forwards on the team, does that still make him a fourth line reclamation project? Sadly it does.
Look, considering our complete bozo of a GM's "impact moves" often involves shitters like Campbell/Kulak/Foegele we take our small wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad