Player Discussion Klim Kostin

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
This place is more down in Foegele than pretty much anywhere else. I think he’s been good this season. Not sure he has the consistency to stick in the top 6, but he’s made a better go of his short time up there than the ghost wingers and was playing well in the bottom 6. 4th best winger on the team with a healthy Kane. That’s probably not a good thing, he should be 5th at the very best, but it is what it is. I’d rather have him on the 2nd line if it means they can use the ghost wingers cap on a 2LD
Really liking Foegele’s game. Really liking Janmark and Kostin as well. I do like the line of Puljujarvi McLeod Kostin.
We now have some interesting decisions in the coming months. Kane will be back in February. He is sounding very positive. With that , wonder what our line up looks like
Kane McDavid Nuge
Hyman Drai XXX
Puljujarvi McLeod Kostin
Janmark Ryan Foegele

I was really hoping Blues go on a downward slide and be interested in moving out players. Tarasenko would look really good there. Would need money going back but I’m all up for trading our 1st this year and prospects. My 2 trades would be
Yamamoto to Kraken for Soucy

1st, prospects to Blues for Tarasenko
4 forward lines with size and speed

Defense with some size.
Nurse
Kulak
Ceci
Soucy
Bouchard
Barrie
Murray

Should have went after him sooner, not sure Seattle will trade him when they’re in a playoff position.
Rumours we were close last year at deadline

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Gavrikob I think is a better target, but if Scouy comes cheap, then alright.

After that, its hard to make any more moves, the cap is just to tight.
You have to accept järnmark as a part of the top6, so why not if it creates depth.
A 4th line of Malone Ryan Fogele could be something

Im soon giving up on Benson. Can he actually bring something hockey -esque, or just mouthing?
I don’t know much about Gavrikob. I’m hearing his name a few times now
I feel bad for Benson. He looked great in preseason. He has gained a step and has some pest to his game.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This place is more down in Foegele than pretty much anywhere else. I think he’s been good this season. Not sure he has the consistency to stick in the top 6, but he’s made a better go of his short time up there than the ghost wingers and was playing well in the bottom 6. 4th best winger on the team with a healthy Kane. That’s probably not a good thing, he should be 5th at the very best, but it is what it is. I’d rather have him on the 2nd line if it means they can use the ghost wingers cap on a 2LD
I agree, I think he has been pretty good of late. I can't see anyone picking up his contract when Kane returns so make the most of his salary and put him in situations where he can actually deliver some results.

I believe that the same applies for the remainder of the contracts for Puls and Yams. Live with the decisions you made and try to make the best of the situation(s) but to assume that anyone in the league is going to pick up any of these 3 contracts (unless you throw in some serious sweeteners) is (imho) wishful thinking.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don’t know much about Gavrikob. I’m hearing his name a few times now
I feel bad for Benson. He looked great in preseason. He has gained a step and has some pest to his game.

Funny enough, Benson is the player Kostin is reminding me of. He's a pest and does those little things that get under the opponent's skin. Though unlike Benson, he actually has the size to back it up.

The challenge with a guy like Kostin though, is he's not someone you can put in an offensive or defensive role, but you still need to find a way for him play 10+ minutes to get into the game. In that regard he's similar to Kassian. Still it's nice to have someone (outside of Kane) who looks to stir the pot. Imo that's been an issue for the Oil this year: they haven't played lazy, but it's been without any spark; Like a long distance runner in the middle of a race.

Personally, I'm liking the look of a roster like this when healthy.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisait-Foegele
Kostin-McLeod-Pulju
Janmark-Shore/Ryan/Benson/Malone/Yams

Lots of size, but still fast. Though it is going to cost one of Yams or Barrie in a cap dump, but you have until Kane is back to make that move.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Really liking Foegele’s game. Really liking Janmark and Kostin as well. I do like the line of Puljujarvi McLeod Kostin.
We now have some interesting decisions in the coming months. Kane will be back in February. He is sounding very positive. With that , wonder what our line up looks like
Kane McDavid Nuge
Hyman Drai XXX
Puljujarvi McLeod Kostin
Janmark Ryan Foegele

Foegele's looked good this year, and I think a big part of that is the Oil have moved away from trying to make him a power forward/down-low battler/ the "heavy guy" on his line, and let him start running around more and be in open ice. Which makes sense, as he doesn't have the size for the other role at 6'2 and only ~200lb.

Carolina got the best out of him as the smallest guy on his line (playing with Niederreiter and Staal), I'd like to see the Oil play him in a similar way with Kane and Draisaitl.

Last edited:

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Funny enough, Benson is the player Kostin is reminding me of. He's a pest and does those little things that get under the opponent's skin. Though unlike Benson, he actually has the size to back it up.

The challenge with a guy like Kostin though, is he's not someone you can put in an offensive or defensive role, but you still need to find a way for him play 10+ minutes to get into the game. In that regard he's similar to Kassian. Still it's nice to have someone (outside of Kane) who looks to stir the pot. Imo that's been an issue for the Oil this year: they haven't played lazy, but it's been without any spark; Like a long distance runner in the middle of a race.

Personally, I'm liking the look of a roster like this when healthy.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisait-Foegele
Kostin-McLeod-Pulju
Janmark-Shore/Ryan/Benson/Malone/Yams

Lots of size, but still fast. Though it is going to cost one of Yams or Barrie in a cap dump, but you have until Kane is back to make that move.
Yes
We have to make 5 mil disappear
I actually wanna keep Barrie. Bouchard is not doing it this year as a PP Qb

Reactions: Oilers

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Kane McDavid Nuge
Hyman Drai XXX
Puljujarvi McLeod Kostin
Janmark Ryan Foegele

I was really hoping Blues go on a downward slide and be interested in moving out players. Tarasenko would look really good there. Would need money going back but I’m all up for trading our 1st this year and prospects. My 2 trades would be
Yamamoto to Kraken for Soucy

1st, prospects to Blues for Tarasenko
4 forward lines with size and speed

Defense with some size.
Nurse
Kulak
Ceci
Soucy
Bouchard
Barrie
Murray

Rumours we were close last year at deadline

When Kane comes back we should move RNH to the 3rd line.

Kane-Mcdavid-Yamamoto
Foegele-Draisaitl-Hyman
Janmark-RNH-JP
Kostin-Mcleod-Ryan

Reactions: Oilhawks

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Funny how Foegele went from waive him to trade him for nothing to now on people's 2nd line rosters. LOL you guys.

Kostin looks good. Bought his young guns rookie card for cheap. Keep playing him. He easily could be our Kassian replacement in time. Not sure he has the hands though.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Funny how Foegele went from waive him to trade him for nothing to now on people's 2nd line rosters. LOL you guys.

Kostin looks good. Bought his young guns rookie card for cheap. Keep playing him. He easily could be our Kassian replacement in time. Not sure he has the hands though.
I’d like to see him fight. He can hit like a tank

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Yamo, Pulju, and Foegele are the most trade baits. They are better players out there for the same price

Oops I thought this was the trade thread.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If Kostin can be more decisive and make plays a bit quicker, he could be in the league a long time. He might never be a 20+ goal scoring top-6 forward, but he will have value to teams and their depth.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
If Kostin can be more decisive and make plays a bit quicker, he could be in the league a long time. He might never be a 20+ goal scoring top-6 forward, but he will have value to teams and their depth.
Totally agree. He just needs to keep his game simple.
Hit everything he can, big body around the net and shoot the puck whenever he gets the chance inside the top of the circles.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016

hahaha oh man. I was on this wagon. Crazy what a little confidence does for him though. He's got a bit of that going on right now and he really does look effective.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
When Kane comes back we should move RNH to the 3rd line.

Kane-Mcdavid-Yamamoto
Foegele-Draisaitl-Hyman
Janmark-RNH-JP
Kostin-Mcleod-Ryan
Only if we get him a better RW than JP. I'm no JP hater, but RNH and Janmark aren't a strong enough pair to contribute when the puck is dying with JP. I wouldn't mind seeing this. It couldn't be worse than what we've gotten with Yams and JP in the lineup. It keeps the Kane/McDavid pair and the Nuge/Hyman pair intact. Drai and Foegle have been playing well together, so hopefully that becomes a pair as well.

Kane - McDavid - McLeod
Janmark - Driasaitl - Foegle
Koskin - Nuge - Hyman
Benson - Ryan - Malone

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We have to drop some money somehow. Yamamoto is my trade chip
I think we can run that roster when Kane comes back. We should have only used a fraction of the LTIR pool by that time and if it doesn't work you send Ryan to the AHL and call up someone like Malone or Benson.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
As if I didn't already like him enough based on his style of play, now I find out that he's a CR7 and Portugal fan for the World Cup. Here's to hoping that he pots a few and really blossoms into one of those rare guys that can pot 15 goals a season and kick some ass.

Reactions: Biltmore

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes
We have to make 5 mil disappear
I actually wanna keep Barrie. Bouchard is not doing it this year as a PP Qb
It might be time to make some trades for the now. Bouchard and Pulujarvi for a 2RD that has some jam to his game. Yamamoto and Broberg for a 2LD who is actually a 2LD. Then move some picks to shore up the holes in the middle six RW if nobody steps up, or call up Bourgault and Hamblin to give those guys a shot. We can't move all of our futures, but we need to do something to help that middle pairing.
Nurse - Ceci
???? - ????
Kulak - Barrie

If we figure out what the ????'s are in the middle pair, then we might actually have a good enough blue line to contend.

They need to teach that guy how to kill penalties too. Train him to fill our needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad