Player Discussion Klim Kostin

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am going on record as saying that losing Kostin would be a terrible mistake. This is a guy that I can see turning into an Evander Kane type of player but without that extra tier offensively. This would almost be the same as us losing Maroon because we had Lucic signed to a big deal. The reality IMO is that much like '16-17 when we needed Lucic and Maroon to form our identity, we need Kostin and Kane. He is big, tough and can score much needed ES goals by being gritty or scoring with his shot which is one of a handful on our team that can beat goalies clean. Unless his ask is truly astronomical we should get him signed ASAP.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I am going on record as saying that losing Kostin would be a terrible mistake. This is a guy that I can see turning into an Evander Kane type of player but without that extra tier offensively. This would almost be the same as us losing Maroon because we had Lucic signed to a big deal. The reality IMO is that much like '16-17 when we needed Lucic and Maroon to form our identity, we need Kostin and Kane. He is big, tough and can score much needed ES goals by being gritty or scoring with his shot which is one of a handful on our team that can beat goalies clean. Unless his ask is truly astronomical we should get him signed ASAP.
I agree. I think that he can be a very useful player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Big fan of Kostin but they absolutely cannot afford to overpay for him. If he’s not willing to sign for under $1.5M, they need to part ways, unfortunately
I think $1.5M would get it done. I'd like less but I would be willing to go that high. It might mean McLeod gets a little more and if so it could mean parting with both Yamamoto and Foegele. This would be a bit of a risk to ship out both but it could give them some cap flexibility that would be useful at the deadline.

If you could trade Both for picks in the 2024 draft that is capitol that could be used at the deadline. Arizona is suppose to be willing to actually take players this year. Both guys could play for them.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think $1.5M would get it done. I'd like less but I would be willing to go that high. It might mean McLeod gets a little more and if so it could mean parting with both Yamamoto and Foegele. This would be a bit of a risk to ship out both but it could give them some cap flexibility that would be useful at the deadline.

If you could trade Both for picks in the 2024 draft that is capitol that could be used at the deadline. Arizona is suppose to be willing to actually take players this year. Both guys could play for them.

Feel like I read that he was wanting $1.75-2M. I think if he’d agree to $1.5M he would already be signed

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Feel like I read that he was wanting $1.75-2M. I think if he’d agree to $1.5M he would already be signed
I'm not sure about that, Holland tends to like to nickel and dime the 1st contract after the ELC
Big fan of Kostin but they absolutely cannot afford to overpay for him. If he’s not willing to sign for under $1.5M, they need to part ways, unfortunately
He brings a lot of intangibles and scores goals, this is a guy that you don't let walk unless he wants over $2 million. I'd take him over Foegele all day long and he makes $2.75 million

I'd be more than fine moving both out to keep Kostin.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I like Kostin quite a bit, but I'm hesitant to label him as anything more than a 4th liner and think he should be paid accordingly. He had a hot streak where he put up like 7 goals in 9 games. Otherwise he had what... 4 in the other 1/2+ of the season?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Holland says they are ways apart. Kostin could be asking for Foegele/Yamamoto money for all we know. If they could bridge him for two years at say 1.2 million, it would be a no-brainer.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
Holland says they are ways apart. Kostin could be asking for Foegele/Yamamoto money for all we know. If they could bridge him for two years at say 1.2 million, it would be a no-brainer.

I just don't understand this ... Unless khl is offering him 1.5 and he's like screw it I'll play at home instead of NHL at 1.2 where the head coach never played me...

Woodcroft not using him more might be one of his biggest blunders as a head coach IMO

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I just don't understand this ... Unless khl is offering him 1.5 and he's like screw it I'll play at home instead of NHL at 1.2 where the head coach never played me...

Woodcroft not using him more might be one of his biggest blunders as a head coach IMO
That is why he is playing hardball. Superman coach with non stuttering speech gets everybody in love with him. Makes jagoff dumb coaching decisions. Everybody adores him. Superman stance is cool too I guess

We have very low standards in Edmonton. Owners eat that up

Reactions: Leonardlizard

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I like Kostin quite a bit, but I'm hesitant to label him as anything more than a 4th liner and think he should be paid accordingly. He had a hot streak where he put up like 7 goals in 9 games. Otherwise he had what... 4 in the other 1/2+ of the season?
He barely played though because Woodcroft was too set in his ways so considering he put up double digit goals is quite good. If he actually got a regular top 6 role night in and night out and replaced say yammo I guarantee you he would be a heck of a lot better. Bigger, faster, stronger, better hands etc. lol. Probably a moot point though as he's probably gone.

tempest186

Jan 5, 2006
Agreed with the sentiments. Kostin is a great bottom 6 fit here. He is also one that has the potential to possibly move up the lineup in the next couple of years. Need him back. Hopefully they’ll get something worked out around 1.5

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yeah, last time we had a Kostin like player, we overpaid him and had to pay someone a draft pick to take him. Don't pull a Kassian with Kostin. Make him prove he isn't a flash in the pan. 1 year, 1M - 1.5M. Look at a raise after he shows he can do it again, or see if he can move up the lineup without making mistakes.

Woodcroft not using him more might be why we aren't hearing his agent ask for millions more than what the rumoured numbers are. This feels like a negotiating tactic to me. I hope it is anyway.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He barely played though because Woodcroft was too set in his ways so considering he put up double digit goals is quite good. If he actually got a regular top 6 role night in and night out and replaced say yammo I guarantee you he would be a heck of a lot better. Bigger, faster, stronger, better hands etc. lol. Probably a moot point though as he's probably gone.
I don't know if it being set in his ways, or if it was a trust thing. Kostin far exceeded expectations, but the guy isn't flawless. Woody must not have liked something about his play.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't even know why we would be afraid of arbitration with Kostin.

Pontus Holmberg is the same age had the same time on ice and nearly identical points/game (0.35) to Kostin (0.37) just signed a 2 year deal worth 800K per.

Even if you give Kostin an edge because of better goal scoring and more games played (57 vs 37) how much more could he argue for?

Let him file for arbitration or let him see if he can get a better deal in the KHL.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Pontus Holmberg is the same age had the same time on ice and nearly identical points/game (0.35) to Kostin (0.37) just signed a 2 year deal worth 800K per.

Even if you give Kostin an edge because of better goal scoring and more games played (57 vs 37) how much more could he argue for?

Let him file for arbitration or let him see if he can get a better deal in the KHL.
That's probably where negotiations are at right now. In the "if you want to see what the KHL offers, fine, go see what they offer. If we have room for you if you don't like what they offer you, our offer won't be here" realm.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's probably where negotiations are at right now. In the "if you want to see what the KHL offers, fine, go see what they offer. If we have room for you if you don't like what they offer you, our offer won't be here" realm.
But isn't he eligible for arbitration, and the rumour is that we're not even qualifying him? Because if that's the case, some other team will pick him up for nothing.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
But isn't he eligible for arbitration, and the rumour is that we're not even qualifying him? Because if that's the case, some other team will pick him up for nothing.
I'll believe the rumour when its official. If they end up not qualifying him, then they're probably expecting him to get 2M or so. Arbitration rarely favours the team when the team is trying to lowball a guy, and we can't walk away if the award is under 4M (I think that's the number), so not qualifying him just might be the easiest route.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

I guess maybe that's why he's dangling the KHL card.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Is there anyone with similar stats who is paid a lot more? The Oilers would argue Holmberg as the comparable, but I'm sure Kostin's agent would have someone he could use who makes 3M or so. Hell, he could point at Yamamotos deal, ha ha.

• Haha
Reactions: tiger_80

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Is there anyone with similar stats who is paid a lot more? The Oilers would argue Holmberg as the comparable, but I'm sure Kostin's agent would have someone he could use who makes 3M or so. Hell, he could point at Yamamotos deal, ha ha.
Pietrangelo))

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Yakov Trenin ended up going through arbitration last year after putting up 17 goals and 24 points in 80 games. But he was also used in more defensive situations and killed penalties for the Preds.

He was awarded 1.7m per year. Kostin in 57 games put up 11 goals and 21 points. Pacing for 15 goals and 29 points over the same 80 games Trenin played. So very similar production but without being a special teams player.

$3m? Forget about it. Yamamoto scored 20 goals and put up more than 1/2 ppg when he got his 3m deal.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Woody, unfortunately, hasn't scratched the surface on what Kostin could be. I'd be feeding him 15mins a night and different roles and different lines. A lot of coaches would. How it doesn't jump out at Woody that this guy is a gamer is beyond me. I just don't get how he was put on the bench vast majority of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00