Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire rights to Erik Portillo for a 3rd round pick from the Buffalo Sabres

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004
Ranford like the string of mid goalie backups we had were made to look exceptional because of the system we played.

Reactions: Mats26

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The biggest reason I'm okay with this trade is, come draft day, the Kings would have spent anywhere from a 2nd rounder to 7th rounder to draft a goalie that's further back in development.

Kings can only reasonably expect a couple more good years from the collection of goalies in their current age range. Relying on grabbing an 18 year-old at the draft would take too long before he's NHL ready. And counting on Portillo signing as a free agent isn't guaranteed. Someone else may have traded for his rights or signed him, and Blake can't be the bridesmaid or be okay with "settling" with some other cast off.

It's a good deal for both sides.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Soon every NHL team will have a 6-6 goaltender! The NHL will then have to make the nets 10 X 10 just to give shooters a fukcing chance to score 1 goal in a game...here comes the boring 2-1,1-0 games again I can feel it in my bones! But hey good on the Kings for getting a youngster with promise since they've pretty much struck out on the last 4-5 netminders they've chosen in the draft

The biggest reason I'm okay with this trade is, come draft day, the Kings would have spent anywhere from a 2nd rounder to 7th rounder to draft a goalie that's further back in development.

Kings can only reasonably expect a couple more good years from the collection of goalies in their current age range. Relying on grabbing an 18 year-old at the draft would take too long before he's NHL ready. And counting on Portillo signing as a free agent isn't guaranteed. Someone else may have traded for his rights or signed him, and Blake can't be the bridesmaid or be okay with "settling" with some other cast off.

It's a good deal for both sides.
Yep

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Would have preferred a 4th... Yet if Portillo re-entered the draft and we selected him with that third I think most everyone would be happy. The way I look at it. Closer and more developed yet like any goalie has some things to work on. Tall goalies tend to take longer too.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Would have preferred a 4th... Yet if Portillo re-entered the draft and we selected him with that third I think most everyone would be happy. The way I look at it. Closer and more developed yet like any goalie has some things to work on. Tall goalies tend to take longer too.
He couldn't re-enter the draft anyway. He's too old.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The Buffalo news got some quotes from Portillo that I imagine would interest you

“It’s obviously a business and, first of all, I'm super thankful for everything that I went through with Buffalo,” he told The News during a phone interview. “I had such a good time working with Seamus very closely. He's been absolutely fantastic for my development. It's a business decision and I don't want to get too deep into that, but I think the opportunity in LA is gonna be great. I'm really excited to hopefully start my pro career there and get going. It’s obviously a good opportunity and hopefully I get something started there.”

He goes on to say his agent and your GM are close and he trusts them and was directed towards this opportunity.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Pipeline move but another risky one, lot of outgoing picks for unsigned players

But in theory I like it a lot
Given they were looking to move him, somebody was going to throw them a pick. Given he’s likely to sign (there must have been some due diligence), it’s worth the pick. There will be plenty of opportunity to make the NHL in 2-3 years and if every signs the G position suddenly looks ok. Villalta is probably the odd man out.

I’m still not convinced we’ve seen the last of Petersen, even if only to get some interest in picking him up. I think he gets a look in training camp because the buy out is almost pointless in terms of cap hit.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Villalta has been given any chance someone could ask for.
Somehow he found a way to take step back every year.

He has the size and all tools to become a pro but something is not right
I don’t think he’s anything other than a AHL goaltender but he’s definitely taken a step this year. He’s now a solid AHL keeper and wasn’t that before.

Reactions: lumbergh

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I liked 6-6 Michael Hrabal best. But there were other clubs(Vancouver,Seattle...) to name a couple others in search of netminders and his name and Bjarnason's come up almost simultaneously. And the fact that they got the rights insures time to sign Portillo now, and not have to take a chance in not getting the goaltender of their choice come July Entry draft. That and the fact that he's older more mature and has played 3 years of College helped the cause!Will he end up in AHL or ECHL to start his pro career? Quicker started in the ECHL and would rather Portillo start there get his bearings and move on up "Quickly"...So LA has Petersen ticketed for Ontario along with Hrenak and Ingham who has to be termed a long shot. Vallalta will have a new address maybe Northern California. Markkonen who knows?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
The Buffalo news got some quotes from Portillo that I imagine would interest you

“It’s obviously a business and, first of all, I'm super thankful for everything that I went through with Buffalo,” he told The News during a phone interview. “I had such a good time working with Seamus very closely. He's been absolutely fantastic for my development. It's a business decision and I don't want to get too deep into that, but I think the opportunity in LA is gonna be great. I'm really excited to hopefully start my pro career there and get going. It’s obviously a good opportunity and hopefully I get something started there.”

He goes on to say his agent and your GM are close and he trusts them and was directed towards this opportunity.
Those comments makes sense with the fact that we gave up the 3rd. It's too high a draft pick to give up without a very good idea that the guy likes the Kings organization and wants/plans on signing with us.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
He couldn't re-enter the draft anyway. He's too old.
Was making a hypothetical. Was hoping we would get Hrabal with a mid 20's pick yet that is now gone. Was just saying if Portillo was in the draft I am sure many would be upset if we passed on him with our 2nd rounder yet alone 3rd.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Was making a hypothetical. Was hoping we would get Hrabal with a mid 20's pick yet that is now gone. Was just saying if Portillo was in the draft I am sure many would be upset if we passed on him with our 2nd rounder yet alone 3rd.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I don’t think he’s anything other than a AHL goaltender but he’s definitely taken a step this year. He’s now a solid AHL keeper and wasn’t that before.
I really don't like his lateral movement and having his paddle constantly up.
Those are basics you should have mastered before entering the pro's.
Petersen has the same problem, he just mixes it with having his glove always down

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
I really don't like his lateral movement and having his paddle constantly up.
Those are basics you should have mastered before entering the pro's.
Petersen has the same problem, he just mixes it with having his glove always down
peterson's glove hand looks like someone who's never caught anything with one hand or put on a baseball glove in thier lives. i mean it never moves. bizarre but it also looks like something that could be fixed

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
peterson's glove hand looks like someone who's never caught anything with one hand or put on a baseball glove in thier lives. i mean it never moves. bizarre but it also looks like something that could be fixed

Being 28 is a little bit late to learn the basics IMO.
It's a shame since he looked so promising

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad