Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire rights to Erik Portillo for a 3rd round pick from the Buffalo Sabres

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I don't think it's there yet.

With or without Korpisalo, the Kings needed a long-term solution in net. They were trying to move up in 2021 for Jesper Wallstedt.

Pain and issues with the Quick trade aside, it's fair to say the goal/plan for next season in net is:
Korpisalo
Petersen/Copley

Petersen/Copley
Portillo
If the Kings sign Korpisalo and I'm confidant they will...it will depend on his play of course between now and the end of the 2023 season! It will definitely spell gonzo for Petersen for sure! Maybe Vancouver takes Petersen for a sweetener or two...how about a couple of Swedish forwards barely used since the Canucks love and have great success with Swedes in their line up over the last 40 years

Peter James Bond II

FIRE BLUCGERON !
Mar 5, 2015
People not so happy today::::::::
Quick. DD, Kopi and undoubtedly other King players...and 84% of fanbase.
Next level. a little frustrated and like someone stole their christmas gifts under the tree to be opened late June:::
Mark Yannetti and other scouts.
Somewhat a lttle bummed::::::::
Copley. Bringing in Joonas
Villalta. Potential for Portilllo to sign and realize he may not be in NHL plans
Petersen: see Copley AND Villalta

Last edited:
Reactions: kinghock

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He's the backbone of a good Michigan team.
No he’s not. There are at least 6 better players this season.

I’m not saying there isn’t upside, and I look forward to seeing what Ranford can do with him, but it’s been a step back year, not the step forward one we all expected.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
And that's irrelevant. Fact of the matter is right now our goaltender pipeline is barren. Trading a third for a good goaltender prospect is worth the risk. Or hell The Kings could just draft another Christopher Gibson again or countless other wasted goaltender draft picks. A third for this particular kid is reasonable at the very least.
It’s not irrelevant. One goalie, a pipeline does not make

Right @Master Yoda ?

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Portillo all 6-6 of him will be fine they just need to bring him along slowly. He has a real chance in LA in few years time,something that wasn't going to happen in Buffalo what with Collegian Devon Levi and the Finnish kid Ukko-Pekka Luukkanen and rather than losing him like they lost Petersen to the Kings in 2017 they got themselves a 3rd rounder

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It’s not irrelevant. One goalie, a pipeline does not make

Right @Master Yoda ?
Bringing up Bernier is irrelevant. The fact that Quick leapfrogged him also doesn't mean anything. At least there was a prospect pipeline in goal back then. Right now there is no goaltender pipeline. So adding someone like Portillo for a third? Why not. I'm not some Rob Blake shill either. I'm just looking at this in a vacuum and I think it's a good move considering every other goaltender in the organization has zero chance of being in the NHL. It's a start.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Love this. Instantly becomes our legit goalie pipeline prospect. Could conceivably be the starter in a year or two.
Copley is up at
the end of next season, so if EP does well in Ontario next year, he could be up with Kings in 24/25.
Remember when Bernier was our goalie of the future?

Copley is up at the end of next season, so if EP does well in Ontario next year, he could be up with Kings in 24/25.

Jun 30, 2006

I’m not saying there isn’t upside, and I look forward to seeing what Ranford can do with him, but it’s been a step back year, not the step forward one we all expected.
Yeah it’s important to keep in mind that Quick wasn’t exactly a pro and had good habits when he was first a prospect.

Ranford got Quick to buy in and taught him good habits. I think this was a good move, not thrilled about giving up a third for a prospect-pending free agent.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Bringing up Bernier is irrelevant. The fact that Quick leapfrogged him also doesn't mean anything. At least there was a prospect pipeline in goal back then. Right now there is no goaltender pipeline. So adding someone like Portillo for a third? Why not. I'm not some Rob Blake shill either. I'm just looking at this in a vacuum and I think it's a good move considering every other goaltender in the organization has zero chance of being in the NHL. It's a start.
Again not irrelevant. You already anointed this guy our “legit goalie prospect” and “starter in a year or two” which is exactly what people said about Bernier. This also how we ended up in this place currently prematurely evacuating all over ourselves over one decent season of backup Cal Petersen and now stuck with 10 million worth of AHL failure.

Having one guy is a start but it’s not the solution.

If you can’t see the folly in that, I don’t know what to tell you.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
man if i'm cal i'm feeling about as small as a mouse right now

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
man if i'm cal i'm feeling about as small as a mouse right now

Perhaps, but then again, $15 million dollars for 3 years of work can really ease a lot of problems. Technically by even above average standards he never has to work again.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Perhaps, but then again, $15 million dollars for 3 years of work can really ease a lot of problems. Technically by even above average standards he never has to work again.
still ain't gonna feel good, going from touted to solid contract to bypassed in an instant. especially for someone who seems like his achilles is his mental to begin with

nobody to blame but himself ultimately but damn

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Hyenas will continue to howl for food and act like what they have to eat is not good enough.
But if the pack has a big kill they will stop howling and all join in the celebration

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I like the trade. No goalie the team gets in the 3rd round is going to fit the team contending timeline.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Last year he was very much the MVP of the team because they were often a collection of good players who don't play as a team. Portillo's performance has not been as strong in the dozen or more games I've taken in of theirs as last year, but the team has also taken a step back in front of him. I do wonder if the pending free agency talk was a bit distracting for him and if this will give him some clarity going into the tournament.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Again not irrelevant. You already anointed this guy our “legit goalie prospect” and “starter in a year or two” which is exactly what people said about Bernier. This also how we ended up in this place currently prematurely evacuating all over ourselves over one decent season of backup Cal Petersen and now stuck with 10 million worth of AHL failure.

Having one guy is a start but it’s not the solution.

If you can’t see the folly in that, I don’t know what to tell you.
Conceivably is not a synonym for anointed. Like not even in the same universe. And he is 100% our only legit goalie prospect if signed. And prospect by definition is never a sure thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad