Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire rights to Erik Portillo for a 3rd round pick from the Buffalo Sabres

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Hmmm, that’s a steep price to pay for the chance to sign a maybe guy. Better be able to sign him. Not to mention he better be good.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sabres fan here.

Portillo has the option to graduate from Michigan this year and thus would either need to be signed by Buffalo or become a Free Agent. He gave our GM every indication that he was not signing with Buffalo. This is likely due to the presence of Devon Levi, a stud prospect. Levi WILL sign with Buffalo at the end of Northeastern's season and then will become the starter for our AHL team next year. So Portillo felt as though there's no room for him.

He's a legit goalie prospect. He's the backbone of a good Michigan team. Very skilled. He's GOING to play NHL games. His ceiling is legit NHL starter......and I can't see him not becoming at LEAST a good backup.

I imagine he'll sign with you. Good luck with him.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pipeline move but another risky one, lot of outgoing picks for unsigned playersds pretty great... asuming he signs der you were prob hoping to draft a goalie that has half the profile of portillo

But in theory I like it a lot
I assume kings feel confident they can sign him to put a 3rd up for him.

If he signs with you... you paid a 3rd for a top 10 goalie prospect. That sounds great.... if you kept that 3rd round you prob hoping to draft a goalie in this draft, that has half the pedigree/upside that portillo has.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
The Trend Weirdness.

The Kings go to CBUS in 2012, 2014, and 2023 at the deadline.
The Kings last college goalie (the one that shall not be named atm) was a Sabres draftee (free agent)
and they now give up a #3, to get the rights to another one of their collegiate goalies.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Obviously the assumption is he signs. If so got the prospect we needed and moved up the timeline 4 years.

If he doesn’t…well..I think that’s obvious.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He's also f***ing huge which is unusual for our goalies

6'6" 225

Ranford is gonna be like uhhhh
I was lowkey hoping anaheim would get Portillo (i feel like we were owed it due to Thrun leaving).

We have Clang/Dostal that are close to nhl ready... but both are kinda on the smaller side.... Portillo woulda given us nice balance.

We need you here more often my friend
Ill prob be around after the ducks disappoint me with our deadline moves...

Hoping for a Bruins vs Kings final

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Not too much to complain about. It is our biggest pipeline weakness and to grab someone 22 years old who likely wouldn't possibly see a Kings sweater or at least 4 years minimum for a 3rd rounder seems pretty fair. His stats took a step back from his previous year, but am not familiar with him either way and is probably what led to Buffalo getting a refund on their 3rd rounder.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Buffalo fan here.

He’s a good prospect ready to step into the AHL next season. good luck to him and you. I understand completely why he didn’t want to sign here. Would be bad for both him and Levi to split a net when they need games to develop and experience the grind.

Portillo has a real chance to be an NHL goalie and I hope it works out

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Sabres fan here.

Portillo has the option to graduate from Michigan this year and thus would either need to be signed by Buffalo or become a Free Agent. He gave our GM every indication that he was not signing with Buffalo. This is likely due to the presence of Devon Levi, a stud prospect. Levi WILL sign with Buffalo at the end of Northeastern's season and then will become the starter for our AHL team next year. So Portillo felt as though there's no room for him.

He's a legit goalie prospect. He's the backbone of a good Michigan team. Very skilled. He's GOING to play NHL games. His ceiling is legit NHL starter......and I can't see him not becoming at LEAST a good backup.

I imagine he'll sign with you. Good luck with him.
Thanks bro! The analysis and thoughts are much appreciated!

Reactions: Zman5778

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Not too much to complain about. It is our biggest pipeline weakness and to grab someone 22 years old who likely wouldn't possibly see a Kings sweater or at least 4 years minimum for a 3rd rounder seems pretty fair. His stats took a step back from his previous year, but am not familiar with him either way and is probably what led to Buffalo getting a refund on their 3rd rounder.

Michigan was absolutely stacked last year. Half of them are in the NHL this year…

Reactions: Telos

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4