Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire rights to Erik Portillo for a 3rd round pick from the Buffalo Sabres

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
My god, Portillo is tall. First time watching a Michigan game...wow.

Edit: Portillo had a decent game. Back to the frozen four.

Our friend Herby lets out a sigh of relief on that game.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I didn't see the whole game, but caught a chunk of the second half.

Portillo has a lot of qualities, which is visible right away. He covers a lot of net, and so he's very good at making the first stop. He made 31 saves on 32 shots. Some things I see where he could improve:
- He didn't swallow the pucks up; he gave up a lot of rebounds.
- There was a particular play where he came out very far, the puck was directed towards the boards, and he was very far away out of the net. The Penn State player had the puck on his stick, but a defender thankfully blocked the shot. What stood out to me was a lack of desperation to try to stop the puck. I don't know if he just failed to track it, or if he gave up on the play, but it stood out.

This isn't to make a long-term statement or projection, just what I saw that stood out. He made the saves he needed to, which is all that counted in Jonathan Quick's book.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
1679890543671.png

Great game by Portillo in what was essentially a road game in the tournament. Probably his best game of the season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I didn't see the whole game, but caught a chunk of the second half.

Portillo has a lot of qualities, which is visible right away. He covers a lot of net, and so he's very good at making the first stop. He made 31 saves on 32 shots. Some things I see where he could improve:
- He didn't swallow the pucks up; he gave up a lot of rebounds.
- There was a particular play where he came out very far, the puck was directed towards the boards, and he was very far away out of the net. The Penn State player had the puck on his stick, but a defender thankfully blocked the shot. What stood out to me was a lack of desperation to try to stop the puck. I don't know if he just failed to track it, or if he gave up on the play, but it stood out.

This isn't to make a long-term statement or projection, just what I saw that stood out. He made the saves he needed to, which is all that counted in Jonathan Quick's book.

Kind of the same concern on the goal that was scored too, he was pretty aggressively out considering his size.

Definitely like how the guy challenges shooters, but he'll need to be coached to rein it in a bit, pros will bang it off the boards around him on purpose if he cant find his posts quickly and without panic

Reminds me of the mid-2010s when the Hawks and Sharks in particular liked to use behind-the-net plays out on Quick to change his depth and get him lost

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Frozen 4 begins tomorrow.
with the championship game Saturday, the 8th.
Here's hoping for a Michgan championship, Portillo player of the game and then he's traveling to
LA Sunday...or signs Sunday...and then joins the Reign.

I like the way you think.

I wonder if Portillo may get either an NHL start or at least is dressed for the final game vs the Ducks. It’s very unlikely that game will mean anything to the Kings.

No use risking an injury to a goaltender when the alternative is Cal P back on the roster.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

I wonder if Portillo may get either an NHL start or at least is dressed for the final game vs the Ducks. It’s very unlikely that game will mean anything to the Kings.

No use risking an injury to a goaltender when the alternative is Cal P back on the roster.
Bench maybe, probably just watch him in Ontario but I guess he could always win and be a standout.

Gonna have to , Qpac is 32-4-3

They may still be evaluating for playoff starter or give Cal a look as injury 3rd stringer and some encouragement.

I guess they would lean to whoever they have chosen to be the backup in game 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Tonight is an example of why I am still really skeptical about Portillo’s long-term chances to be an NHL starter and why I would have preferred to just sign him as an UFA rather than give up another pick. I wasn’t against bringing him in, but I think he has to many holes to warrant what we gave up.

In all my years watching the sport I’ve never seen a goalie with worse feet and who is worse at recovering on scrambles, if people remember Jason Labarbera, that is what it reminds me of. There is just no excuse for a goaltender to have 2 goals banked in off of him from behind the net.

Reactions: dman3474

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Another great Blake move huh? I hope the coaches can do something with him. He seemed to play way too far outside the crease a lot.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Another great Blake move huh? I hope the coaches can do something with him. He seemed to play way too far outside the crease a lot.

Like I said, you bring him in as a FA, that is totally fine, no risk at all. But to give up yet another pick for a goaltender with this many flaws just seemed a bit off. The Kings have just given up a ton of young assets the last few years. I feel like if Portillo were eligible to be drafted in this years draft he would not be going before the 4th round.

The Kings did have many scouts at UM games presumably scouting Portillo throughout the season, so they clearly saw something they liked. But nobody else offered as much as the Kings, Buffalo had been shopping him for the entire season once Levi was locked in as their future and Portillo let it be known he wasn't signing with them. So the Kings liked him more than anyone else did. Although it could also have been a result of the Kings being totally desperate, due to the complete graveyard they had at the position throughout the organization.

It just seems now that most goalies in the NHL are way more athletic than Portillo is. With as many really awful performances that Portillo had this season, with tonight possibly being the worst, it's just hard to see him ever being a starter in the league. He has a ton to work on, and some of his weaknesses may just be impossible to fix. It's not really easy to just make someone who isn't athletic into someone who is.

Just watch Portillo on the 1st goal tonight, what on Earth is he doing?

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

That's an interesting idea. Really depend on where we are. If there's still a chance at the 2nd seed, and home ice , then no. If the 3rd seed is a lock, why not.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
At his age goalies, except for the obvious phenoms, are largely seen as malleable balls of clay that can be shaped and molded. They clearly like his tools and possibilities, but no way in hell is any scout watching this kid thinking he is close to the NHL.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
if neither Korpi or Gavrikov resign- trade deadline for Blake was unitigated disaster.
I would hope he signs one and figure looling at the salary cap that was the plan always.
I was leaning towards Korpi being the on he signs but after his last 2 starts, I am open to trying to just re sign Gavri.'I will be watching til the season ends.
If Copley outshines Korpi, its Gavri time for sure.

No point in starting Ports after that performance, unless you need to , for him to sign.
Realistically with the last four games the Kings will still be evaluating until the end of the season who starts game one in goal.

Ports like Copley, is what NHL goalies are evolving into bigger and less break dancing.
The Puck occasionally goes bar down over Coppers shoulder but not much room there.
Portillo is even bigger so there will be almost no room there.
Something Qpac scouted and caused them to go elsewhere for the most part.
So the raw tools are awesome and the Kings will have to develop him in Ontario with Clarke.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Since Ranford is the best goaltending coach on earth, I'm sure he'll turn Portillo into an elite #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad