Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire rights to Erik Portillo for a 3rd round pick from the Buffalo Sabres

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I can see, like in previous drafts, Blake packaging their 2nd & 3rd to move up and grab Hrabel or Bjarnason in the early 2nd. Whoever is still available then, and then use nexts years draft to restock the cupboard again.

Then they can play next season for their respective junior teams, then after that Portillo is hopefully nhl backup to who knows our starter. And they takeover the crease in Ontario.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I pulled this from a UM board, from a good long-time poster there. When asked about Portillo's season this year. With some deeper statistics included.

He's just been *weird* this year. He'll stop odd man rushes and then there's a shot from the point where he's looking completely in the wrong direction.

He's had some weird quirks to his game and I don't know where they came from and find it hard to blame on not having a goalie coach because à lot of them aren't things you'd just randomly do.

-Inability to catch the puck (though it seems like he's been better at that the past couple of weeks)
-Dropping his stick 4+ times per game
-Incredibly slow to move in scramble mode
-In scramble mode when he ends up looking the wrong direction

I still think that at least 30% of the problems in our own end can be traded directly to spending too much time in the box. We've given up 22 more power play goals than Minnesota and have been shorthanded something like 75 more times than them. (So it's hilarious to me that we've had 3 guys *injured* by the supposed cleanest team in the Big Ten/top 3 in the country. Gtfo.) Even get back to an AVERAGE amount of penalties and you'd close a good chunk of the gap in goals against.

26% of the shots our goalies have faced have been on the power play vs 16% for Minnesota. That's a HUGE difference. Granted we aren't looking at shot quality with these numbers, but 5 on 5 we're only giving up 1.4 more shots per game than them. Shorthanded it's like 4.3 shots a game more. That could easily be upwards of a goal a game difference.

Stay out of the damn box and it fixes a LOT of our issues.

To flesh out the Portillo stuff a bit more:
He has a 0.920 on even strength shots
He has a 0.874 on shorthanded shots

So the extra 4.3 shorthanded shots he's facing per game vs what Minnesota's goalies are facing would amount to an extra 0.56 goals per game. Maybe he faces an extra 2 shots per game even strength if we take fewer penalties (since more even strength time). That's 0.16 goals per game. So call it 0.40 goals per game more based on the quantity of penalties we're taking vs what Minnesota does. That'd move us from about the 25th percentile in team defense to middle of the pack without doing anything different beyond staying out of the box.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
1678323973132.png

From Hockey Prospecting, comparing him to Devon Levi here just as a reference of sorts.

The NHLer propabilities aren't promising from a purely statistical standpoint, although I will say the lack of any D-1, D0, and D3 scores likely don't help.

D3 = freshman at UM, 7 GP, 1.67 GAA .935 Save%

Here's D-1 followed by D0:
1678324261253.png

At first look I was concerned from a statistcal profile. But I feel a lot of it is due to those inocmplete score due to no/small samples.

This season does seem like a step back based on reports and stats. A lot of what Herby is relaying sounds potentially fixable with proper coaching. But I'm no goalie expert.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
View attachment 665674

From Hockey Prospecting, comparing him to Devon Levi here just as a reference of sorts.

The NHLer propabilities aren't promising from a purely statistical standpoint, although I will say the lack of any D-1, D0, and D3 scores likely don't help.

D3 = freshman at UM, 7 GP, 1.67 GAA .935 Save%

Here's D-1 followed by D0:
View attachment 665677

At first look I was concerned from a statistcal profile. But I feel a lot of it is due to those inocmplete score due to no/small samples.

This season does seem like a step back based on reports and stats. A lot of what Herby is relaying sounds potentially fixable with proper coaching. But I'm no goalie expert.

I'll take the over on both guys NHL career probabilities. I think Levi has a change to be a real star player, man did he put on a show at the Bean Pot. And with Portillo it will be a nice canvas for Ranford to work with, he has some limitations but I think he can at least be an NHL backup with upside to be a pretty good starter.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'll take the over on both guys NHL career probabilities. I think Levi has a change to be a real star player, man did he put on a show at the Bean Pot. And with Portillo it will be a nice canvas for Ranford to work with, he has some limitations but I think he can at least be an NHL backup with upside to be a pretty good starter.

The good news is they're at least sort of back in a spot where he doesn't HAVE to hit, Ranford has time to work and the whole future doesn't rely on him.

Pipeline needs replenishing that's for sure but Portillo makes so much sense.

...still needs to sign though :laugh:

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
re Ranford whats the evidence he's improving the overall goaltending in the org? Cal, Campbell, JQ are the counter examples (though JQ is age related im sure)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
re Ranford whats the evidence he's improving the overall goaltending in the org? Cal, Campbell, JQ are the counter examples (though JQ is age related im sure)
Quick has taken a decline in age - not sure why this past season or two suddenly overwrites the years Quick has been a very good goalie at least.

Campbell was about to have his career sunk and he was ECHL fodder before he came to the Kings org. Not sure how Campbell is a counter example. His play went back down after being traded away from LA.

Martin Jones was also knocking on the door to be a starter before he was traded away.

Patrik Bartosak also threw a wrench in things because of his domestic violence issues, but he's currently playing well in Europe.

Obviously not all goalies are golden, but 3 starters in 17 years, with one declining due to age and two more declining once they left the team, is a pretty good indictment that there's competency and good development occurring in an org.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Quick has taken a decline in age - not sure why this past season or two suddenly overwrites the years Quick has been a very good goalie at least.

Campbell was about to have his career sunk and he was ECHL fodder before he came to the Kings org. Not sure how Campbell is a counter example. His play went back down after being traded away from LA.

Martin Jones was also knocking on the door to be a starter before he was traded away.

Patrik Bartosak also threw a wrench in things because of his domestic violence issues, but he's currently playing well in Europe.

Obviously not all goalies are golden, but 3 starters in 17 years, with one declining due to age and two more declining once they left the team, is a pretty good indictment that there's competency and good development occurring in an org.
Don't forget they made Ben Scrivens, Darcy Kuemper and Peter freaking Budaj some money by helping increase their stock as well. I don't care how goaltenders performed after leaving the Kings. Only how they did while being Kings. Cal is the only WTF happened to this guy true example of the bunch. You can try and help a guy shore up his technical deficiencies, but if his headspace is the chief issue, then he may not be salvageable.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com

No thats solid evidence.. its what I was looking for.. Its true Campbell was playing well while here... Cal is really the only disaster.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
No thats solid evidence.. its what I was looking for.. Its true Campbell was playing well while here... Cal is really the only disaster.
Sorry, I misread the intent of the question. Not sure if you were responding to someone who was blocked or something, either.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He can sign either the last week in March at the earliest if UM is knocked out of the regionals or the 2nd week in April if UM makes it to the Frozen Four and up the deadline later in the summer.

One interesting thing about this is Portillo has almost all of the leverage on the Kings. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Brisson asks the Kings to put Portillo into an NHL game as a condition of signing, which would burn a year off of his ELC. The Kings offered this to Brock Faber last season as an incentive to sign, and it would have meant Faber would have been up for a 2nd contract after next season. The Kings did not offer it to Alex Turcotte (also represented by Brisson) in 2021, instead giving him an ATO to play for the Reign with his contract starting that fall. That was highly unusual for a player taken so high to not burn a year, but in that case the Kings had all the leverage with Turcotte wanting to leave as well and not having to incentivize him to sign like with Faber and potentially Portillo.

If UM is eliminated in the regional there would be 9 potential games Portillo could suit up, if UM makes the Frozen Four that number drops down to 2 games. Which in an odd way could actually give both sides more leverage depending on where the Kings are in the standings. If the final 2 games mean a lot Blake could tell them to pound sand and take what’s offered, but if the Kings have say, clinched the division or clinched 2nd place they may have no choice but to play him the season finale vs the Ducks or risk losing him for nothing.

Edit: I am unsure of how the rules apply for a backup goaltender, but I assume that if he dressed as a backup in an NHL game that would burn a year, even if he didn’t play. But if anyone can confirm that, it would be great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kingspiracy

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He can sign either the last week in March at the earliest if UM is knocked out of the regionals or the 2nd week in April if UM makes it to the Frozen Four and up the deadline later in the summer.

One interesting thing about this is Portillo has almost all of the leverage on the Kings. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Brisson asks the Kings to put Portillo into an NHL game as a condition of signing, which would burn a year off of his ELC. The Kings offered this to Brock Faber last season as an incentive to sign, and it would have meant Faber would have been up for a 2nd contract after next season. The Kings did not offer it to Alex Turcotte (also represented by Brisson) in 2021, instead giving him an ATO to play for the Reign with his contract starting that fall. That was highly unusual for a player taken so high to not burn a year, but in that case the Kings had all the leverage with Turcotte wanting to leave as well and not having to incentivize him to sign like with Faber and potentially Portillo.

If UM is eliminated in the regional there would be 9 potential games Portillo could suit up, if UM makes the Frozen Four that number drops down to 2 games. Which in an odd way could actually give both sides more leverage depending on where the Kings are in the standings. If the final 2 games mean a lot Blake could tell them to pound sand and take what’s offered, but if the Kings have say, clinched the division or clinched 2nd place they may have no choice but to play him the season finale vs the Ducks or risk losing him for nothing.

Edit: I am unsure of how the rules apply for a backup goaltender, but I assume that if he dressed as a backup in an NHL game that would burn a year, even if he didn’t play. But if anyone can confirm that, it would be great.
I’m pretty sure it counts even if he doesn’t play. It certainly counts in the contrived scenario where a skater doesn’t step on the ice.

Appearing on the game sheet is essentially what counts as a game played. However that’s a stats interpretation, it’s possible the CBA gives a variation on the interpretation for the ELC being burned.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
If it actually happens then I'll ask someone.

In the meantime... it's believe it's also an option that he (and any other NCAA player) can sign a SPC (Standard Player Contract) that begins next year and sign a PTO and finish the year playing for the Reign.

I think.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If it actually happens then I'll ask someone.

In the meantime... it's believe it's also an option that he (and any other NCAA player) can sign a SPC (Standard Player Contract) that begins next year and sign a PTO and finish the year playing for the Reign.

I think.
Correct. That is what Turcotte did, I think the difference was the Kings had Turcotte by the balls and in this case it’s kind of the other way around. The Kings could have told Turcotte to go back to school and with Portillo he can tell the Kings I’m going to UFA if he wanted to play hard ball.

Luc and Brisson are very tight, so perhaps this has all been worked out ahead of time. But players in this situation have all the leverage. Henry Thrun is in a similar position with the Sharks. He was traded by the Ducks to the Sharks and the speculation is he is going to sign right away to burn the ELC. It just makes a ton of sense for these guys, they basically get a two year ELC instead of a three get an NHL game check or two in the process.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I still say/think that there's no way Blake could be stupid enough to trade a 3rd for EP if he didn't already have a handshake deal...or at least a very, very, very good understanding that a deal would definitely be made once his season ends.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I still say/think that there's no way Blake could be stupid enough to trade a 3rd for EP if he didn't already have a handshake deal...or at least a very, very, very good understanding that a deal would definitely be made once his season ends.
Portillo's agent, Pat Brisson, was an agent of Rob Blake. He undoubtedly knows Portillo's intentions and plans.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
question how come its 9 games a year to burn a year for say clarke but they can burn a year for 1 or 2 games , and i know that happens because thats what they did when we acquired Jack Johnson ,he signed and played right away and that was part of agreement to sign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad