Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire rights to Erik Portillo for a 3rd round pick from the Buffalo Sabres

Seattle King

Aug 19, 2022
If you like Copley's size you are going to love Portillo. Hulking dude.
I am slightly concerned with the decline he experienced this season.
Overall I am happy with the trade if he signs.
Would be difficult to find a better situation to put yourself in as a young G looking for an opportunity.
I mean goalie not gangster, though LA does have fantastic opportunities for them as well.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Seems like a good trade. They needed a goalie in the system that was maybe only 1-2 years away.
I would imagine Blake has already talked to him and is confident they can sign him.
Why would you imagine that? Blake didn’t even talk to his nhl coach before trading for an nhl defenseman they expect in the f***ing lineup tomorrow.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Realistically I have no problem with this. He was a third round pick in 2019 and has been great at Michigan. If he was in the draft this year, we’d certainly pay a third for him.

Reactions: Surf Nutz and tkb81

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
now if we can get a big mean and tough guy our bottom six .. and maybe trade some of our RHD's we cant play all of them lol

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If he signs, solid move.
If he doesn't, disaster
I wouldn’t worry about him signing. All accounts are that he’s looking for opportunity not a specific destination. When Buffalo traded for Levi it created a problem because both are likely to turn pro the same year. It was just a bad situation for two goalies to be in. There were never rumblings about him not signing in Buffalo until they acquired another goalie who was on the exact same development path. Something had to give.

Reactions: AzKing and Statto

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
It concerns me that this trade is made because they don’t expect to sign our new guy. Next season we go with Cal/Copley; with Portillo top guy in Ontario.
I hope not.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Assuming they must have a contract ready to offer him...in that case I like it. Not sold on Vilalta at all and G is huge organizational weakness.

• Love
Reactions: Surf Nutz

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Remember when Bernier was our goalie of the future?
And that's irrelevant. Fact of the matter is right now our goaltender pipeline is barren. Trading a third for a good goaltender prospect is worth the risk. Or hell The Kings could just draft another Christopher Gibson again or countless other wasted goaltender draft picks. A third for this particular kid is reasonable at the very least.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It concerns me that this trade is made because they don’t expect to sign our new guy. Next season we go with Cal/Copley; with Portillo top guy in Ontario.
I hope not.
I don't think it's there yet.

With or without Korpisalo, the Kings needed a long-term solution in net. They were trying to move up in 2021 for Jesper Wallstedt.

Pain and issues with the Quick trade aside, it's fair to say the goal/plan for next season in net is:
Korpisalo
Petersen/Copley

Petersen/Copley
Portillo

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Portillo is a big time project but he certainly does have some upside. I was ok with signing him as an UFA and felt like with the Kings organizational depth chart and considering his contract was going to be the same wherever he signed, that the Kings had a good shot to take a low risk gamble on him.

But paying a 3rd for him with how he has looked many nights this season isn’t exactly a move I am super happy with.

He has given up a lot of back breaking, inexplicable goals this season. The guy who sits right in front of me always says they need to give him adderall a few hours before the games.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Love this. Instantly becomes our legit goalie pipeline prospect. Could conceivably be the starter in a year or two.
I wouldn't go so far as say 1-2 years but 3-4 years with the right coaching!Hello Bill Ranford calling all Cars!!! This signing to me means Vallalta is out, Ingham...iffy,Markkonen,iffy,Parik no,Hrenak,maybe and Portillo...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad