Confirmed with Link: Kings acquire rights to Erik Portillo for a 3rd round pick from the Buffalo Sabres

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Are there any instances of players’ rights being traded for picks and then not signing with that team?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
question how come its 9 games a year to burn a year for say clarke but they can burn a year for 1 or 2 games , and i know that happens because thats what they did when we acquired Jack Johnson ,he signed and played right away and that was part of agreement to sign
Different set of rules for collegiate players. They're no longer eligible to play college hockey once they sign a contract.

Are there any instances of players’ rights being traded for picks and then not signing with that team?
Adam Fox. Carolina obtained his rights from Calgary (although it was part of a rather big trade), but couldn't get him signed. So they flipped him to the Rangers for a 2nd and 3rd.

A better example might be Jimmy Vesey. Drafted by Nashville, traded to Buffalo for a 3rd, became a free agent, and signed with the Rangers.

Funny how often these guys want to go to the Rangers.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
question how come its 9 games a year to burn a year for say clarke but they can burn a year for 1 or 2 games , and i know that happens because thats what they did when we acquired Jack Johnson ,he signed and played right away and that was part of agreement to sign
As Ziggy said, there are different rules with CHL players and NCAA players. Since CHL players can actually go back down to the CHL, there is a bit more flexibility. I'm guessing this is part of the compromise also of not letting players play in the AHL until they are 20 years old or their season has concluded.

NCAA players, the moment they sign a contract, cannot play collegiate hockey anymore. They have nowhere else to go.

Reactions: yankeeking

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

It's based on age when they sign their ELC. 18/19 year olds can have their contracts slide if they don't play 10 NHL games. But if a player signs their ELC at 20, then the first year could burn immediately if the team doesn't convince them to sign an AHL ATO with an ELC that starts the following year.

The odd thing is that the player just has to be 20 by September 15 of that calendar year to count as 20.

For example, the Devils signed Joey Anderson in April 2018. Anderson had enough leverage so that the first year of the ELC started in 2017-18. He didn't play in an NHL game that season but was able to burn Year 1. Anderson didn't officially turn 20 until June 2018 but he counted as 20 based on the CBA rule. He was that RFA in the summer of 2020.

Typically we'll see this when guys sign out of college after their sophomore seasons. Luke Hughes will likely have the leverage to have his ELC start this season and not next.

Alex Turcotte was an interesting case since he signed at age 19 after his freshman year. He didn't play in 10 NHL games in 2020-21, so his contract slid. He didn't play in 10 NHL games as a 20 year old, but he was no longer eligible for the slide. He'll be RFA in the summer of 2024.

Then compared with his USNTDP teammate Matt Boldy who went back for his sophomore year. Boldy signed in March 2021 and counted as a 20 year old. He got to burn his first year immediately and would have been RFA this summer but he signed an extension.

So that can be a negative if a player leaves college early without assurances they'll be in the NHL.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's based on age when they sign their ELC. 18/19 year olds can have their contracts slide if they don't play 10 NHL games. But if a player signs their ELC at 20, then the first year could burn immediately if the team doesn't convince them to sign an AHL ATO with an ELC that starts the following year.

The odd thing is that the player just has to be 20 by September 15 of that calendar year to count as 20.

For example, the Devils signed Joey Anderson in April 2018. Anderson had enough leverage so that the first year of the ELC started in 2017-18. He didn't play in an NHL game that season but was able to burn Year 1. Anderson didn't officially turn 20 until June 2018 but he counted as 20 based on the CBA rule. He was that RFA in the summer of 2020.

Typically we'll see this when guys sign out of college after their sophomore seasons. Luke Hughes will likely have the leverage to have his ELC start this season and not next.

Alex Turcotte was an interesting case since he signed at age 19 after his freshman year. He didn't play in 10 NHL games in 2020-21, so his contract slid. He didn't play in 10 NHL games as a 20 year old, but he was no longer eligible for the slide. He'll be RFA in the summer of 2024.

Then compared with his USNTDP teammate Matt Boldy who went back for his sophomore year. Boldy signed in March 2021 and counted as a 20 year old. He got to burn his first year immediately and would have been RFA this summer but he signed an extension.

So that can be a negative if a player leaves college early without assurances they'll be in the NHL.

Yeah, all the more reason that the Turcotte thing made no sense for him, unless he was convinced by either the Kings or his agent/family that he was going to play 10 NHL games that year. His own classmate at Wisconsin, Caufield turned pro a year later and will be a free-agent a year earlier, even though both signed a 3 year ELC's. So even if Turcotte had a breakout year this season he wouldn't have been able to cash in like the guys who stayed in school. I don't know why any college player would be willing to spend their age 19 season in the AHL, bad for development and bad for the wallet.

As for Portillo, apparently since he is 22 years old he will be signing a 2 year ELC, whenever he signs. My guess would be that makes it much less likely that Brisson would push for a year to be burned this season, because that means they'd have to sign another contract in the summer of 2024, and barring major injury issues with the Kings in goal next season it's unlikely Portillo would warrant any kind of raise above his ELC. I am guessing that Portillo signs an ATO and gets in a few games with Ontario this season, plays all of next season down there and then the season after that maybe challenges for a backup role with the Kings, at which point his ELC would expire.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yeah, all the more reason that the Turcotte thing made no sense for him, unless he was convinced by either the Kings or his agent/family that he was going to play 10 NHL games that year. His own classmate at Wisconsin, Caufield turned pro a year later and will be a free-agent a year earlier, even though both signed a 3 year ELC's. So even if Turcotte had a breakout year this season he wouldn't have been able to cash in like the guys who stayed in school. I don't know why any college player would be willing to spend their age 19 season in the AHL, bad for development and bad for the wallet.

As for Portillo, apparently since he is 22 years old he will be signing a 2 year ELC, whenever he signs. My guess would be that makes it much less likely that Brisson would push for a year to be burned this season, because that means they'd have to sign another contract in the summer of 2024, and barring major injury issues with the Kings in goal next season it's unlikely Portillo would warrant any kind of raise above his ELC. I am guessing that Portillo signs an ATO and gets in a few games with Ontario this season, plays all of next season down there and then the season after that maybe challenges for a backup role with the Kings, at which point his ELC would expire.

To be fair to Turcotte though, he signed his contract the day before the league shut down due to COVID right? A whole lot of things could have gone differently for Turcotte and LA. It was a weird time.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
To be fair to Turcotte though, he signed his contract the day before the league shut down due to COVID right? A whole lot of things could have gone differently for Turcotte and LA. It was a weird time.
Around that time. But none of the other NCAA prospects signed other than Zegras, who was expected to be in the NHL (and was for the majority of the season). If Boldy, Caufield, Newhook, Knight, Pinto etc had also signed you can maybe excuse Blake, but none did, even though at least one for sure (Caufield) pushed to sign and was turned away by the Habs.

I think with everything we have seen from Blake with Byfield, Kupari, Bjornfot and now it’s looking like with Clarke tells us that the Kings strategy is to get players into the AHL quicker than other teams likely would and longer than other teams likely would. I don’t think that would have changed whether Covid had been a thing or not.

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
Funny how often these guys want to go to the Rangers.
That's why I hate the Rangers so much. Players want to go there because it's NYC and they have won one Cup since 1940 and none in almost 30 years. And the one they won in '94 they would have lost if Vancouver doesn't hit the crossbar in OT. If it wasn't NYC (and hockey) this level of futility would be reported regularly in the US as historic in sports.
I have 5 friends in Chicago I am buying steaks for when NYR go out in the first round this year.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
That's why I hate the Rangers so much. Players want to go there because it's NYC and they have won one Cup since 1940 and none in almost 30 years. And the one they won in '94 they would have lost if Vancouver doesn't hit the crossbar in OT. If it wasn't NYC (and hockey) this level of futility would be reported regularly in the US as historic in sports.
I have 5 friends in Chicago I am buying steaks for when NYR go out in the first round this year.

It reminds me of DL talking about players coming to la for the lifestyle/beach rather than hockey, though

very few of those guys are difference makers, they get what they want and then just flap in the wind. Fox is an exception on ability but he's probably the best example of being a giant pissbaby to get to NYC.

Reactions: psych3man

psych3man

Dec 17, 2019
Outside Chicago
It reminds me of DL talking about players coming to la for the lifestyle/beach rather than hockey, though

very few of those guys are difference makers, they get what they want and then just flap in the wind. Fox is an exception on ability but he's probably the best example of being a giant pissbaby to get to NYC.
Everybody knew Kane was going to the Rangers...it was an easy call.
My friends and family think I'm a genius cuz I called it 2 years ago. Shhhh, don't tell them everyone who knows hockey knew that was going to happen

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Another great move here by Blake while the Kings look open for a pipeline goaltender, who has friends in the organization encouraging him to sign.
But continue viewing icebergs from your canoes

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Its intentional.
My posts are encoded for intelligent people/
Not ones that think they can psychoanalyze people from comments on a hockey board.
How about you do everyone a favor and stick to hockey. It’s a hockey board dude. Quit the clown act antics. That stuff is not appropriate for the board. It’s way past being old now. Stick with hockey or go elsewhere.

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
How about you do everyone a favor and stick to hockey. It’s a hockey board dude. Quit the clown act antics. That stuff is not appropriate for the board. It’s way past being old now. Stick with hockey or go elsewhere.
I talk about hockey but I am going to say what I want when attacked.
I go where I want when I want.
You have no jurisdiction.
You are not part of the HF Boards justice system.
Your attempt at localism is not intimidating.

Reactions: kingsfan

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Your favorite Gatorade flavor is red and you have fondness for turtles.
I am glad someone gets me, lol.
Delta niner foxtrot alpha.
Seriously though, I was bitchin about the goalie pipeline.
Blake get Portillo and I am like is he gonna sign.
Kings are known for developing goalies so you would think we would be an attractive destination.
Come to find out his bro is Fagey and he trains with Fiala.
Look how good the Kings are with Korpi and Gavri.
The pundits have even taken notice.
Still the Pacific is looking hard as hell.
Acquisitions: Copper, Fiala, Danualt, Arvidson , all picked up at a discount.
You gotta give Blake credit.
He built a contender.
Its not his fault Cal crumbled, sure he learned how he might to things a little differently.
Its not his fault AL T. got injuries.
Not much you can complain about.
So all they grasp at is straws.
An OHL standout does not an NHL All Star make.
At least in his first pro year.
I am stoked on the KIngs.
MAcT does have a legacy to brush up.
Woulda like Trotz or Gerard.
So I will give Blake an A-
and the posters that criticize him an F.
Oh I gave them a big F

Last edited:

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I am glad someone gets me, lol.
Delta niner foxtrot alpha.
Seriously though, I was bitchin about the goalie pipeline.
Blake get Portillo and I am like is he gonna sign.
Kings are known for developing goalies so you would think we would be an attractive destination.
Come to find out his bro is Fagey and he trains with Fiala.
Look how good the Kings are with Korpi and Gavri.
The pundits have even taken notice.
Still the Pacific is looking hard as hell.
Acquisitions: Cooper, Fiala, Danualt, Arvidson , all picked up at a discount.
You gotta give Blake credit.
He built a contender.
Its not his fault Cal crumbled, sure he learned how he might to things a litlle differently.
Its not his fault AL T. got injuries.
Not much you can complain about.
So all they grasp at straws.
An OHL standout does not an NHL All Star make.
At least in his first pro year.
I am stoked on the KIngs.
MAcT does have a legacy to brush up.
Woulda like Trotz or Gerard.
So I will give Blake an A-
and the posters that criticize him an F.
Oh I gave them a big F
It’s as if an AI was programmed to post overconfident garbage using a Willy Wonka language style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad